Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to take street shots/photography?

Quote Originally Posted by arttl
    "If your pictures aren't good enough, your're not close enough" ~ Robert Capa

That's a great quote but alas he got a bit too close on his last shot and was blown to smithereens when he stepped on that landmine.

Err... yah....

But at least this legend and his photographs live till this day for us to learn from.....

For all Capa fans, a must-read book on his life/biography ~ "Blood and Champagne" by Alex Kershaw.

Paiseh.... OT abit... Sorrie...

Learn from StreetShooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavana
    wow that was a fast reply, thanks everyone. I guess I have to train my sprinting now .
    I am not sure if that is the right answer!

See Voigtlander's reply. That is the most sensible advice I have seen.

Street photography really hv lots of rules to follow...hehe..
    (How nice if a DSLR is wore on your head like a miner's lamp? On your
    camera, blink your eyes and you shoot. haha )

sometime you dun even need a SLR/DSLR, just carry a small compact P&S everywhere you go. Small camera look less threatening and normally ppl will think you are tourist. But if you bring a D/SLR, they think you are photo journalist or pro...

It is about timing and luck as you walk along the street you can shoot anything with your compact...

If you go on a planned outing with your big camera, but if there is no luck or timing on your side, you will get disappointed.

It also does not matter the photo look sharp or not sharp (of cos not too blur) the most important thing is the element inside that will tell the story. look at ss's photos.. most of them are not precision sharp but they tell a story...
    just my 2 cent view.
    Last edited by jimtong; 6th April 2005 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtong

It is about timing and luck as you walk along the street you can shoot anything with your compact...
    it's also about anticipating where the action might take place. garry winogrand for example was a bundle of nervous energy on the street, his eyes constantly taking in everything around him and possible interesting subjects on the horizon. he also operated a lot on "gut" feel. like hcb, garry was very fast on his feet, able to vanish and reappear in a crowd to capture that split second of a split second.
    Last edited by zaren; 6th April 2005 at 03:06 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

smile, talk, see if they are ok for us to take photos, let them pose if u wanna, compose, shoot, talk

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus jACK
    army training is good for street photography... it trains you to...

sprint - shuttle run
    jump over obstacles - standing broad jump
    upper body and torso strength - chin-up & sit-ups
    endurance - 2.4km
    all-in-1 - SOC!!! hahaha

always wear a friendly smile, always helps in extinguishing any unfortunate incidents.

One more, firing from hip. ie shoot without aiming thru eyes.

woah! fire from hip? I using FZ10, I tried some without looking at viewfinder damn hard. It is like firing without crosshair.

Quote Originally Posted by HeWolf
    One more, firing from hip. ie shoot without aiming thru eyes.
    I think StreetShooter does that. Can ask him for tips.

Blog Entries

woah! fire from hip? I using FZ10, I tried some without looking at viewfinder damn hard. It is like firing without crosshair.
    i sometimes shoot with the camera over head (*everyone, rifle over head, run to the lamp post and back, while singing the national anthem...*). it is often a challenge to compose the shot this way, and you have to get your angles right... but the shots can often give a very different and nice perspectives on your subject.

I attempted it once. Not easy to master. But den I lowered my chances of getting bad shots by setting continuous drive mode, aperture priority (it helps if u've got a wide-angle. Da maximum focusing distance is relatively short) aiming it in da general direction and kept firing. Discarded standard crap (really blurred ones) and kept those good ones.

Firing frm hip isn't exactly the best position in the world to get great shots, but be awed at what u can capture what u don't really notice. I awed myself when I was at Penang a year ago.

This was taken frm da hip.

Canon EOS 300D, 1/250, f/6.3, ISO100 @ 25mm focal length, Program Mode

I was rather astonished by this as I'd never expected such an effect. Might be crap compared to what StreetShooter has though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12