Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

  1. #21
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Quote Originally Posted by Limiter View Post
    i just gotten AIPO AS-25L yesterday and fiddled around trying to "figure" out the right RH by turning the knob, however, the description from user manual and the setting on the cabinet are kinda different.

    Indication on the knob of the cabinet shows (from left to right) L (High in chinese) and H (Low in chinese) and the red LED dimmed down when knob is turning anti clockwise whereas the manual says LED should be dimming when turning clockwise.

    Nevertheless, i trial and error based on my read-up infos from the net and eventually the temperature maintain around 42-44% RH with my knob at 12 o'clock direction.

    Would it be safe for me to put in my gears based on the current RH as i understand there is some +/- % to note.

    Thanks!
    Yesterday morning I using oven to toast roll oat for breakfast, I need to preheat the oven first, else the roll oat will not be cook.

    but dry cabinet is not an oven, you don't need to preheat or warm up, since put camera outside and inside the dry cabinet has no different when it just start up, so why leave camera outside?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  2. #22
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Aipo is OK

    Cheap and good

    yoiur unit is a 25L one so its not too stressful for the built in Peltier unit to do its work given the relatively small volume of air inside

    I keep my dry cab inside my computer room which itself is a natrual dry room given its small area and a couple of the hardware that is running and facing the sun directly
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  3. #23

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Thanks bros for the inputs.

    So far so good as the RH maintain around 43% with camera in it.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Quote Originally Posted by Limiter View Post
    Thanks bros for the inputs.

    So far so good as the RH maintain around 43% with camera in it.
    yup, mine has been steady at 42% at the 'B' marking. very helpful bros here

  5. #25

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    There is this small thing about being too dry. If the len elements are compound with optical glue joining up to whole assembly, making it too dry will dry out the glue causing delamination and seperation of the compound lens. IE you screw up that 2K plus lens. Any thing below 40% is tempting fate. Do the salt test to double check.

  6. #26
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,389

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    There is this small thing about being too dry. If the len elements are compound with optical glue joining up to whole assembly, making it too dry will dry out the glue causing delamination and seperation of the compound lens. IE you screw up that 2K plus lens. Any thing below 40% is tempting fate. Do the salt test to double check.
    Any sources for that? One member here (iirc, it was daredevil123) has stored a lens in extreme dry conditions for tests. Guess what: nothing happened.
    EOS

  7. #27

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    i wonder if bro fatigue has any input on too dry?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  8. #28
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    i wonder if bro fatigue has any input on too dry?
    Business is not good.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  9. #29
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    i wonder if bro fatigue has any input on too dry?
    I'm no expert but based on common sense, grease will dry up faster, rubber grips/seals will crack easily.
    There should be no negative effects on optics
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  10. #30
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Any sources for that? One member here (iirc, it was daredevil123) has stored a lens in extreme dry conditions for tests. Guess what: nothing happened.
    My dad has camera gear he stored in his dry cab for many years (around 30 years) at 25-30% RH. No dry grease, no cracked rubber, no whitening as well. And no optics de-lamination etc.. there was this thread in the past where a materials engineer has pretty much assured that modern synthetic based glue, grease are not affected by low humidity in the 20-30% range.

    Btw 20-30%RH is around average for places like california. It is actually not that dry at all. Those places you do not need a dry cab, but you need a humidifier for wooden stuff like acoustic guitars.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 9th April 2013 at 06:08 AM.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    20-30%RH
    40-50%RH

    why so many different? which one is better
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

  12. #32
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Quote Originally Posted by steventay View Post
    20-30%RH
    40-50%RH

    why so many different? which one is better
    just stick to 45% RH.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #33
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    My dad has camera gear he stored in his dry cab for many years (around 30 years) at 25-30% RH. No dry grease, no cracked rubber, no whitening as well. And no optics de-lamination etc.. there was this thread in the past where a materials engineer has pretty much assured that modern synthetic based glue, grease are not affected by low humidity in the 20-30% range.

    Btw 20-30%RH is around average for places like california. It is actually not that dry at all. Those places you do not need a dry cab, but you need a humidifier for wooden stuff like acoustic guitars.
    There you go, staright from horse's mouth
    I guess 20-30% is considered not too dry. I was in El Paso Texas a few months ago, the RH reading was around 9%-12%
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  14. #34
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post

    There you go, staright from horse's mouth
    I guess 20-30% is considered not too dry. I was in El Paso Texas a few months ago, the RH reading was around 9%-12%
    Yea that is dry... in that kind of humidity, leather needs to be oiled regularly.

  15. #35

    Default

    Hi guys. Just got my AS-26L from canon. I plugged the hygrometer mounted off the display (it was just hooks, no glue) and did a salt test and my hygrometer read 71% after 10 hours. So it has a -4% accuracy. I placed it back into the dry cab and turned the knob somewhere in between C and D and my RH is 51% with my 650D inside. Is it normal or is there something wrong with my dry cab?

  16. #36

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    I am curious why members spend so much time fine tuning equipment which cares for their gear (2nd derivative away from actually using the gears)
    instead of spending more time shooting
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  17. #37
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    I am curious why members spend so much time fine tuning equipment which cares for their gear (2nd derivative away from actually using the gears)
    instead of spending more time shooting

    I also don't know....you tell me.

    I got my dry cabinet deliver to my place, unpack it, put at the place I want it to be, plug it and power on, put my gears inside.... and that is it.

    didn't have to tune this and that, don't need to wait, don't need to monitor, and it works fine.

    other than break down twice over the 7 plus years, it just keep at around 45% at all time (ok, other than I forget to close the door properly a couple times) and I don't even know where the dial is.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Quote Originally Posted by guitargeek View Post
    Hi guys. Just got my AS-26L from canon. I plugged the hygrometer mounted off the display (it was just hooks, no glue) and did a salt test and my hygrometer read 71% after 10 hours. So it has a -4% accuracy. I placed it back into the dry cab and turned the knob somewhere in between C and D and my RH is 51% with my 650D inside. Is it normal or is there something wrong with my dry cab?
    give it somemore time in the dry cabi..mine is at B for quite some time now, getting 45-50% RH

  19. #39
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,389

    Default Re: Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

    Quote Originally Posted by guitargeek View Post
    Hi guys. Just got my AS-26L from canon. I plugged the hygrometer mounted off the display (it was just hooks, no glue) and did a salt test and my hygrometer read 71% after 10 hours. So it has a -4% accuracy. I placed it back into the dry cab and turned the knob somewhere in between C and D and my RH is 51% with my 650D inside. Is it normal or is there something wrong with my dry cab?
    Give it at least 12h, a dry cabinet is not a shock freezer with instant changes. It will take time to achieve the target RH. A few hours off the target RH won't do any harm.
    EOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •