Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: D4 User Thread

Default Re: D4 User Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zeckson Chow View Post
    Well, I use it to shoot people only...

Anyway, wanna ask you experts, do you have focus problem when shooting human subjects? Like the subject is not as tack sharp as you would have use with a D3/D3s/D3x? Mine is always soft. It went to the Nikon Service Center many times already on this issue. All they did was fine-tuning and fine-tuning which I didn't think was much help. However, when shooting subjects other than humans, my subjects are real sharp and focus are real accurate and precise! Anybody else is on the same boat as me?

I'm not an expert. I have no problems with several glasses on the D4 for sharpness. What glass are you using?

Blog Entries

Well, I use it to shoot people only...

Anyway, wanna ask you experts, do you have focus problem when shooting human subjects? Like the subject is not as tack sharp as you would have use with a D3/D3s/D3x? Mine is always soft. It went to the Nikon Service Center many times already on this issue. All they did was fine-tuning and fine-tuning which I didn't think was much help. However, when shooting subjects other than humans, my subjects are real sharp and focus are real accurate and precise! Anybody else is on the same boat as me?
    I shoot a lot of portraits with the D4. Sharp as hell... Are you using AF-C or S?

Quote Originally Posted by lenslust View Post
    I'm not an expert. I have no problems with several glasses on the D4 for sharpness. What glass are you using?
    My lenses:

24-70 f/2.8
    85 f/1.4
    85 f/1.8
    50 f/1.8
    16-35 f/4 VR
    24-85 f/3.5-4.5 VR
    70-200 f/2.8 VR
    70-200 f/2.8 VR2
    70-200 f/4 VR3
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    My Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I shoot a lot of portraits with the D4. Sharp as hell... Are you using AF-C or S?
    All using AF-S... I hardly use AF-C. Any concerns I should take note?
    My Photo Albums

I guess you tried resetting your preset settings? Did you try other people D4 to do a comparison to see if the problem lies on your camera? Unlikely your lens since all end up the same.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    I guess you tried resetting your preset settings? Did you try other people D4 to do a comparison to see if the problem lies on your camera? Unlikely your lens since all end up the same.
    Don't think resetting the presets will actually affect much. I have my custom settings saved. I tried using mine custom settings and also the factory defaulted settings. Results are the same. However, the focus issue is an intermittent thing -- it doesn't come regularly but it always hit me when I am taking important shots.

I even tested the display set in Nikon Service Center. Yeah, same. Somehow taking human subjects are simply not as precise as I hope it will be, BUT anything else is like what moderator said "Sharp as hell!"
    My Photo Albums

Don't think resetting the presets will actually affect much. I have my custom settings saved. I tried using mine custom settings and also the factory defaulted settings. Results are the same. However, the focus issue is an intermittent thing -- it doesn't come regularly but it always hit me when I am taking important shots.

I even tested the display set in Nikon Service Center. Yeah, same. Somehow taking human subjects are simply not as precise as I hope it will be, BUT anything else is like what moderator said "Sharp as hell!"
    Looks like your old d90 did a better job huh. Hope other bro here will have a solution.

Blog Entries

I noticed that at 100% apparent depth of field looks very different from the D700. Just a slight distance off the point of focus, you can start seeing it blur out already, compared with the D700 with the same setup and subject distance.

I am using AF-C to make sure I get my focus spot on, to counter subject or me moving.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    Looks like your old d90 did a better job huh. Hope other bro here will have a solution.
    Actually if I look at the camera as a whole, I will say this camera is the best full frame I had ever used. Putting the focus issues aside, the D4 had given me lots of shooting conveniences. It allows me to focus on the shot and how to get my perfect shot rather than think about technicalities. It served me well. But... Well, the focus...
    My Photo Albums

I noticed that at 100% apparent depth of field looks very different from the D700. Just a slight distance off the point of focus, you can start seeing it blur out already, compared with the D700 with the same setup and subject distance.

I am using AF-C to make sure I get my focus spot on, to counter subject or me moving.
    Hmm, in this case, quick question; how do you focus and recompose your shot? With AF-C always focusing, how can you possibly move your frame and still maintain that face dead precisely focused?
    My Photo Albums

Blog Entries

Hmm, in this case, quick question; how do you focus and recompose your shot? With AF-C always focusing, how can you possibly move your frame and still maintain that face dead precisely focused?

Usually most of the time I will be able to move the focus point over where I want the focus to be. On occasions where the point of focus is outside of the 51 points, I will use the closest point and use focus and recompose. And yes, for these kind of situations I decouple AF from the shutter release and use the "AF-On" button instead. I have the short cut dialed into MyMenu for quick access.

I see the D4 is a lot less forgiving than the 12MP based bodies... and wait till you see the D800...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 24th June 2013 at 11:49 PM.

Usually most of the time I will be able to move the focus point over where I want the focus to be. On occasions where the point of focus is outside of the 51 points, I will use the closest point and use focus and recompose. And yes, for these kind of situations I decouple AF from the shutter release and use the "AF-On" button instead. I have the short cut dialed into MyMenu for quick access.

I see the D4 is a lot less forgiving than the 12MP based bodies... and wait till you see the D800...
    Pardon me, my friend, so that means you compose your shot, move the AF point to where you it to be in focus and then AF-On, check and then shutter release. If the point of focus is out of the 51-point area, you will focus on the closest area and then do the same. Hmm. I should try this.

I have also decoupled the AF from the shutter release button and I also used the AF-On button often, but never put it to AF-C since I thought my subject doesn't move too much or/and I am not shooting motion. Hmm. I could give this a try and see how.

But I see this as a workaround, it still does not address how come the focus lock is not as precise as the 12MP bodies.

Oh yes, I also have the D800.
    My Photo Albums

Blog Entries

Pardon me, my friend, so that means you compose your shot, move the AF point to where you it to be in focus and then AF-On, check and then shutter release. If the point of focus is out of the 51-point area, you will focus on the closest area and then do the same. Hmm. I should try this.

I have also decoupled the AF from the shutter release button and I also used the AF-On button often, but never put it to AF-C since I thought my subject doesn't move too much or/and I am not shooting motion. Hmm. I could give this a try and see how.

But I see this as a workaround, it still does not address how come the focus lock is not as precise as the 12MP bodies.

Oh yes, I also have the D800.
    I just find that the D4 is not forgiving at 100%. If you miss focus even slightly, it is very very obvious compared to D700/D3/D3s.

If you use AF-C you are reducing the effect of any movement from your subject and yourself during that moments between your AF-press and final shutter release. I wouldn't call it a workaround. I call it technique to leave less to chance.

I just find that the D4 is not forgiving at 100%. If you miss focus even slightly, it is very very obvious compared to D700/D3/D3s.

If you use AF-C you are reducing the effect of any movement from your subject and yourself during that moments between your AF-press and final shutter release. I wouldn't call it a workaround. I call it technique to leave less to chance.
    Hmm. For someone who has not really used AF-C before, this could be of use but it will need some practicing to get use to it. Hmm.
    My Photo Albums

Blog Entries

Hmm. For someone who has not really used AF-C before, this could be of use but it will need some practicing to get use to it. Hmm.
    The D4 did give you that new extra joystick... great to use.. you can move the AF point really fast.

Blog Entries

BTW, do remember to upgrade to the newest firmware... Pictures look even sharper now, and AFC performance is improved.

The D4 did give you that new extra joystick... great to use.. you can move the AF point really fast.
    BTW, do remember to upgrade to the newest firmware... Pictures look even sharper now, and AFC performance is improved.
    Agree. The joystick is really good to use and I am running the latest firmware. Now I just need to find a chance to put that AF-C to use and see if it will improve the focus precision that I am wanting. Thanks for tip!
    My Photo Albums

All the best TS whichever method you are going to try to improve focusing .. (IMO, maybe setup tripod and test it... if OK then could be minor vibration when you fully press the shutter button .. our human reaction or habit that we have not known our-self.)

Hi, I just read the thread about the AF issue on your D4.

I use mine for concerts and events, so I didn't had any problems then, until I used it to shoot people close up at large aperture.

If you are shooting at large apertures, the depth of focus is minimal and recomposing will shift the plane of focus, this will cause the photographed subject to look soft.

To mitigate that, I use the method as mentioned by the seniors here that is I decouple the AF from the shutter release and use the side AF sensors. I do use the outer sensors but still the overall accuracy depends on the level of lighting, contrast and lens used, for best AF accuracy the 15 cross type centre sensors are still the best.

Have you checked all your lenses for front, back focus and all quadrants are equally sharp?

My D4 body needs a negative AF fine tune setting on most of my lenses to have the depth of focus to be centred on the AF adjustment ruler. Also I had sent my troublesome (focus accuracy, focus hunting in dim light, front / back focus) lenses together with the body to NSC for AF calibration. What I have discovered was that NSC reprogrammed the lenses and they will leave the AF offset on the body alone. The AF problem on the troublesome lenses were solved after the visit and I don't have any more AF issues with them now.

You may also want to check if the depth of focus is well centred after the visit to NSC. What I have found is that they will tweak the lens AF almost all the way to be front focused, that may again explain why you still get soft shots with your D4 & lens combo after numerous visit to NSC.

Also you will want to check if your D4 AF sensors are well aligned with the red AF square indicators of the view finder. Most of the time they don't. So when you place the red square on the subject to focus, the actual position of the real AF sensor is not where you place it. I have learned to manually offset the camera position when I place the red square on the subjects eye.

I hope these few pointers above will help you to nail the problem on your D4 AF issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Machinery View Post
    Hi, I just read the thread about the AF issue on your D4.

I use mine for concerts and events, so I didn't had any problems then, until I used it to shoot people close up at large aperture.

If you are shooting at large apertures, the depth of focus is minimal and recomposing will shift the plane of focus, this will cause the photographed subject to look soft.

To mitigate that, I use the method as mentioned by the seniors here that is I decouple the AF from the shutter release and use the side AF sensors. I do use the outer sensors but still the overall accuracy depends on the level of lighting, contrast and lens used, for best AF accuracy the 15 cross type centre sensors are still the best.

Have you checked all your lenses for front, back focus and all quadrants are equally sharp?

My D4 body needs a negative AF fine tune setting on most of my lenses to have the depth of focus to be centred on the AF adjustment ruler. Also I had sent my troublesome (focus accuracy, focus hunting in dim light, front / back focus) lenses together with the body to NSC for AF calibration. What I have discovered was that NSC reprogrammed the lenses and they will leave the AF offset on the body alone. The AF problem on the troublesome lenses were solved after the visit and I don't have any more AF issues with them now.

You may also want to check if the depth of focus is well centred after the visit to NSC. What I have found is that they will tweak the lens AF almost all the way to be front focused, that may again explain why you still get soft shots with your D4 & lens combo after numerous visit to NSC.

Also you will want to check if your D4 AF sensors are well aligned with the red AF square indicators of the view finder. Most of the time they don't. So when you place the red square on the subject to focus, the actual position of the real AF sensor is not where you place it. I have learned to manually offset the camera position when I place the red square on the subjects eye.

I hope these few pointers above will help you to nail the problem on your D4 AF issues.
    Thanks for writing and sharing your experience. Yes, I do shoot people are large apertures and usually a distance of about 1.5m ~ 2.5m. If I am using a tele, then of course the distance will be further and also depending on whether am I going for full body coverage or just the face shot. I move my AF points around to fit my composition. If the area I want in focus is out of the 51-point area, I focus-lock and recompose. I try to reduce this to a minimum because I know of the focus plane will shift badly at close range and large aperture (within 60cm and at f/1.4). I had visited NSC more than 6 to 8 times on this issue since I bought my camera at late March 2012 (first batch).

I find the topic of aligning red box to the AF sensor interesting. What exactly do you mean?

To: Moderator,
    I also find your topic of higher resolution is not as forgiving as those of 12MP interesting. Is there something I can read this up somewhere?
    My Photo Albums

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast