Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 691011

Thread: D4 User Thread

Thanks Lenslust.

Yes, the birds are definitely wary of my presence.

Thanks for the insights in shooting these small birds.

I can't wait for this coming Sat & Sun to put them to use.

Default Re: D4 User Thread

Hello.

Some shots of the quick sunbird. Didn't shoot much this Sat and Sun as it rained in the afternoon and evening.

Well here they are.

Thanks Luminare and Lenslust for the help and guide in shooting these very quick bird.

Sun bird up close.

[IMG][/IMG]

A more colourful sunbird

[IMG][/IMG]

Mid flight

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

mid air pirouette

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Light Machinery; 13th October 2013 at 03:02 PM.

I've been trying to look for a split-image focussing screen for my Nikon D4 to help with my focussing on manual lenses.

Nikon doesn't make them and I can't seem to find any 3rd party sellers online or on ebay. Lots of options for D3 though.

Does anyone know if a D3-compatible screen can be installed in the D4?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by timlim View Post
    I've been trying to look for a split-image focussing screen for my Nikon D4 to help with my focussing on manual lenses.

Nikon doesn't make them and I can't seem to find any 3rd party sellers online or on ebay. Lots of options for D3 though.

Thanks in advance!
    Not that I know off. Was trying to replace the stock screen also. No luck.

Blog Entries

Thanks in advance!
    If you do not already know, the focusing screen in D4 is similar to a S type focusing screen.

Hi daredevil123,

I understand that the "Type" refers to the focussing arrays / markings / composition aids on the screen, but the same Type screen may not fit on all cameras.

For example the focussing screens on a full frame D800 and a cropped frame D300 can both be "Type A" and have the same focussing arrays. But they will be of different size/shape and you will not be able to simply swap the screens between the 2 types of bodies.

I guess my question is whether a D4 can accept a screen (any Type) that was intended for a D3 (or any other full frame body for that matter).

Can anyone point me in the right direction or correct me if my understanding is flawed? Thanks!

cheers,
    tim

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you do not already know, the focusing screen in D4 is similar to a S type focusing screen.
    Last edited by timlim; 22nd October 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi daredevil123,

I understand that the "Type" refers to the focussing arrays / markings / composition aids on the screen, but the same Type screen may not fit on all cameras.

For example the focussing screens on a full frame D800 and a cropped frame D300 can both be "Type A" and have the same focussing arrays. But they will be of different size/shape and you will not be able to simply swap the screens between the 2 types of bodies.

I guess my question is whether a D4 can accept a screen (any Type) that was intended for a D3 (or any other full frame body for that matter).

Can anyone point me in the right direction or correct me if my understanding is flawed? Thanks!

cheers,
    tim
    No. You understood wrongly. All the markings/composition aids/focusing point markings are NOT on the focusing screen for modern Nikon bodies. I think I understand how it works since I have been swapping screens out of Nikon bodies for years from D40x to D300s. Even if you switch focusing screens, those markings will be there because the markings are not on the focusing screens in the first place.

What I am saying is Nikon D4's stock focusing screen is similar to Canon's "S Type" matt focusing screen (aka Ec-S), which is one of the more popular focusing screens people install for manual focusing aid. The D4's stock screen is said to perform better in manual focusing than The D3 replacement Nikon Type B BriteView Clear Matte VI Focusing Screen

from http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca...ng-screen-ec-s
    Product Description
    The Canon Ec-S Focusing Screen with Canon's exclusive Super Precision Matte technology makes it easy for professional photographers to determine the precise point of sharpest focus during manual focusing. This is because the microlens on the screen's matte is optimally shaped to increase defocusing near the point of focus.
    from http://www.nikonians.org/reviews?ali...-d4-review&p=2
    Video and ultra-ISO are great, but the single thing which really annoys me about the D3 is how hard it is to shoot in manual focus. The focusing screens on autofocus cameras are generally not well adapted for the tasks that old-fashioned matte and split field screens were designed for. I haven't been able to reference this anywhere, but there is something different about the D4 focusing screen. You can just about see it in some circumstances where it appears to be ridged in some way. But the result is that it is much, much easier to focus the near-impossible Nikon 500 mm reflex mirror lens. Shooting with the D4, I was able to quickly and accurately focus on moving objects and fleeting images, capturing far more than I ever could before. If you rely on manual focusing with difficult lenses, this is probably enough to sell you the D4 on its own.
    If you do not believe me or the opinions from others online, just slap a MF lens on a D700/D3/D3s/D3x and a D4 and see the difference for yourself.

See the difference between a standard focusing screen and a S type focusing screen in this video. Watch from 15m10s.

And no, D3/D3s focusing screens do not fit in the D4. And as of now there are no 3rd party focusing screens available for the D4. So if you are looking for split prism you are out of luck. focusingscreen.com, a taiwan company, is a popular choice traditionally for alternative screens. They have nothing for the D4, the reason being, they cut older Nikon or Canon screens down to size to fit modern DSLRs, and it seems D4 screen might be a little too large in certain spots.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 23rd October 2013 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    And no, D3/D3s focusing screens do not fit in the D4. And as of now there are no 3rd party focusing screens available for the D4.
    Thanks daredevil123, that's the answer to my question.

Also appreciate the info shared on the Type S and how it's superior the "standard" screens. Alas, my success rate even with the D4 stock screen is still much lower than when I was using a split image screen on my previous bodies. Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    Just to clarify somethings which were in the part I of my dpreview exposť; I actually told singapore that I can pay for the adjustment on day 1 of going to the service centre for the issue. This was probably the 2nd or 3rd sentence I said to the technician. But they choose to not charge me. And yes, I have been to KL personally once. Issue not solved.

You'd be surprised that Japan is actually insisting that Hong Kong is responsible for the issue. The whole matter is extremely confusing and stressing for me as a customer. I am finding hard to believe that these policies are without exceptions. So I hope those of you who wish to help me or suggest ways to solve the problem can read my in-depth exposť first.

Continuation of my Nikon D4 assymetrical AF saga Part III: Nikon FX SLR (D1-D4, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    Damn, those threads are mind blowing. I go "You Again!" when reading it, and "This is a Free Market!", not happy switch to Canon whats the problem?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post

Damn, those threads are mind blowing. I go "You Again!" when reading it, and "This is a Free Market!", not happy switch to Canon whats the problem?
    There are more complain threads on dpreview last couple of weeks suddenly... wonder why?

Maybe because d4s is on the horizon....
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th February 2014 at 04:25 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 691011