Thread: Nikon 35-70mm f2.8 AFD lens vs others

Default Re: RE: How much is the lens NEW?

[B]Split from jasphotography's thread in Buy/Sell[B]

Originally posted by jasphotography
    I was asked by some how much is the lens new...

I was quoted few days ago in Cathay Photo to be $1200. A much more expensive lens would be the Nikkor AFS 28-80mm which costs around $3000.

So, this lens at $800 (Negotiable) is not too bad a deal...
    Good price, great lens, but 35-70 isn't a terribly useful range. Not for me. To each his own I guess.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: RE: How much is the lens NEW?

A much more expensive lens would be the Nikkor AFS 28-80mm which costs around $3000.
    Is this a new lens? AFAIK, Nikon only has an AFS 28-70 f2.8.

Default Re: Re: RE: How much is the lens NEW?

Originally posted by ckiang

Good price, great lens, but 35-70 isn't a terribly useful range. Not for me. To each his own I guess.

Regards
    CK
    I used to think the Nikon AFD 35-70mm f2.8 is not a good range, which was why initially I bought a Tokina ATX Pro II 28-70mm f2.6-f2.8 lens instead.

But, the poor performance of the Tokina drove me back to this lens. The great optic of the Nikon AFD 35-70mm f2.8 testifies to its long shelf lives (very much like the legendary FM2). Obviously, Nikon has never thought of stopping this lens in production.

I did gave the new Nikon AFD 24-85mm f2.8-4 lens a second look but the lens construction is not as solidy build (rather filmsy actually) and the aperture is not fixed throughout the zoom range. I have never used the 24-85mm lens but review on this lens wasn't too good.

If only Nikon can come out with with a AFD 28-80 or 28-70 f2.8 lens.....
    but this is as good as digging Nikon's own grave as no one would buy the more expensive AFS 28-70mm f2.8 lens.

So, for now, a Nikon AFD 35-70mm f2.8 is still the best bet!

Default Re: Re: RE: How much is the lens NEW?

Originally posted by ckiang

Regards
    CK
    To answer your views on the 35-70mm lens as not a terribly useful range, I have actually also used a Nikon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 and a Nikon 24-120mm f3.5-5.6 lens.

Sorry these 2 lenses are not my type for the following 3 reasons although they have the most useful zoom range.

[1] Optical performance is not as good as the 35-70mm lens
    [2] The aperture is small (i.e., big aperture number) and is not fixed, thus making the viewfinder looks dull/dark, uninspiring and hence difficult to manual focus
    [3] The aperture is small, especially at 105mm f4.5 or 120mm f5.6, making hand-held shooting difficult, if not, impossible in low light condition.

From my experiences with Nikon lenses, what make a great lens is not purely determined by how big the zoom range is.

Default Re: Re: Re: RE: How much is the lens NEW?

To answer your views on the 35-70mm lens as not a terribly useful range, I have actually also used a Nikon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 and a Nikon 24-120mm f3.5-5.6 lens.

Sorry these 2 lenses are not my type for the following 3 reasons although they have the most useful zoom range.

[1] Optical performance is not as good as the 35-70mm lens
    [2] The aperture is small (i.e., big aperture number) and is not fixed, thus making the viewfinder looks dull/dark, uninspiring and hence difficult to manual focus
    [3] The aperture is small, especially at 105mm f4.5 or 120mm f5.6, making hand-held shooting difficult, if not, impossible in low light condition.

From my experiences with Nikon lenses, what make a great lens is not purely determined by how big the zoom range is.
    I agree with you totally. I have the 28-105 3.5-4.5 and aperture-wise it's severly limiting. The 35-70 is nevertheless an excellent lens optical-wise.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Re: Re: RE: How much is the lens NEW?

Never tried the 35-70, but the Tokina 28-70 f2.6 2.8 (mine's the one with a gold ring and crinkle barrel, not sure which version this is) is really superb lens for the price you pay.

Been using it for nearly 7 years, and I find the optical performance really good. AFAIK, today's 3rd party zooms (at least their "pro" versions) are nearly indistinguishable from the original mfg zooms of identical specs (ie. don't go comparing AFS and non AFS stuff)

Especially nowadays if you're using a DSLR since we're only using the centre portions of the lenses.

BTW, Tokina has recently released an SZ version of the 28-70 f2.8 lens, lighter, cheaper. Not yet tried it though.

Tamron also has a 28-105 f2.8 zoom, though it's a little pricey.

I used the Nikon 35-70/2.8 AFD for many years, then bought Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70/2.8 simply because of the range. After half a year using Tokina, finally I sold it, and revert back to the old Nikon 35-70 due to its optical performance. This lens is very sharp, just one notch below the prime Nikkor 50/1.8. The weaknesses are:
    - bokeh is very bad (circle shaped like a mirror-lens due to over-correction).
    - Push-pull zoom design (similar to the old 80-200/2.8 ED)

Till now, I still use this lens, complemented with Nikon 18-35/3.5-4.5 and 24/2.8

Splitting from the original thread as the posts has gone offtopic (thanks party to me )

Regards
    CK