Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,216

    Default PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    Took a few shots in RAW for testing this morning
    Now realise that PS CS5 unable to open the files as it can't recognise the format

    Asking brothers for help

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    The raw convertor for CS5 would not support D7100 raw files. You have either to:

    1. Upgrade to CS6 and ger the latest ACR that includes D7100 raw convertor or

    2. Download Adobe's standalone dng convertor which turns the D7100 raw files to dng files (same as raw).

    3. Use the Nikon supplied raw convertor which comes with the camera.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    Update the Adobe RAW plugin or use Nikon software to convert the file to DNG. DNG can be imported without issue.
    EOS

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    The raw convertor for CS5 would not support D7100 raw files. You have either to:

    1. Upgrade to CS6 and ger the latest ACR that includes D7100 raw convertor or

    2. Download Adobe's standalone dng convertor which turns the D7100 raw files to dng files (same as raw).

    3. Use the Nikon supplied raw convertor which comes with the camera.

    Good luck.
    Did try using PS Bridge to convert to dng but unsuccessful, and
    using the supplied view nx but able to convert to TIF only but not able to access PS raw tool

    Will down the adobe stand alone converter and try

    BTW thanks for the help

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    If you have Lightroom 3 or 4, there is the option to auto dng convert when you import the files into LR. Saves one step.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    If you have Lightroom 3 or 4, there is the option to auto dng convert when you import the files into LR. Saves one step.
    Still not possible with LR 4.3. Cannot recognize files

    Did download adobe raw converter and tried it....same problem reading error

    Nikon NX2 will only convert NEF to either TIF or JPEG.
    So have to convert to TIF then using Adobe or LR to convert it to DNG before able to use ACR for ps.
    Very troublesome.

    Still looking for helps

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    Quote Originally Posted by stevepow View Post
    Still not possible with LR 4.3. Cannot recognize files

    Did download adobe raw converter and tried it....same problem reading error

    Nikon NX2 will only convert NEF to either TIF or JPEG.
    So have to convert to TIF then using Adobe or LR to convert it to DNG before able to use ACR for ps.
    Very troublesome.

    Still looking for helps
    Maybe less painful to wait for the ACR update for LR4. Should be one soon.
    Last edited by Daoyin; 27th March 2013 at 03:33 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    You can open tiffs and jpegs in ACR
    Right click in Bridge and select open in camera raw or Ctrl-R
    You can also check the option in Bridge > Camera Raw Preference to open all tiffs in ACR but I found that cumbersome and oddly it doesn't always work, shrug
    Or directly in PS, 'Open As', choose raw
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    You can open tiffs and jpegs in ACR
    Right click in Bridge and select open in camera raw or Ctrl-R
    You can also check the option in Bridge > Camera Raw Preference to open all tiffs in ACR but I found that cumbersome and oddly it doesn't always work, shrug
    Or directly in PS, 'Open As', choose raw
    Thanks for the feedback
    Main objective is to reduce the file size without seriously affecting the image resolution/quality.
    TIF format is way too big for saving and would much prefer using saved dng format for PS in ACR.
    My normal workflow is to convert the NEF files to dng before processing in ACR and finishing it in jpeg.

  10. #10

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    Don't bother looking so hard for an easy solution for now. The D7100 has just been released and it will take a bit of time before Adobe releases the updates for their software to work with the raws of the camera.
    Canon 5D MkIII|70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM|24-70 f2.8 L II USM|Σ 50 f1.4 EX DG HSM

  11. #11

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    Or you can hack the exif to fool acr...
    Hack for ACR (CS6) / Lightroom to read D7100 raws - FM Forums
    Can do batch via folder too
    Seems harmless though might wanna backup before you attempt it mass scale
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    Quote Originally Posted by Zichar View Post
    Or you can hack the exif to fool acr...
    Hack for ACR (CS6) / Lightroom to read D7100 raws - FM Forums
    Can do batch via folder too
    Seems harmless though might wanna backup before you attempt it mass scale
    Yup, had read up this article also but not gonna try it.
    Will wait for Adobe to update the plug in

    Thanks for the response.

  13. #13

    Default Re: PS CS5 unable to open D7100 raw files

    No worries, just throwing ideas out there
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •