Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie again... =)

Wink Newbie again... =)

Hi all,

Actually, I'm not really a newbie in this forum since I joined quite long ago. Been just looking through threads regarding photography skills and learning from all the experts in here without posting much either. Currently holding on to a Canon Powershot A80 for almost 1 year plus already but still testing out the features of the camera and experimenting with it.

Any threads of interest that I should take a look to brush up my skills especially regarding Human Portraits Shot as well as scenery shots?

Was hoping that I can learn enough in the next few years to advance to a DSLR photographer in 3 to 4 years time....

Advices anyone?

Hi Chevron
    I use the same cam as u and working to improve my skills and hopefully advancing to a DSLR like u I guess...I'd say - just go and take more pictures and look at other people's photos for inspiration.

Blog Entries

join photoshoots and use your camera
    then post your pictures and ask for comments.
    DO NOT read to much in the good comments but remember the bad ones.
    Make mistakes and learn from it.

to me this is the best way to learn.

Hi all,

Actually, I'm not really a newbie in this forum since I joined quite long ago. Been just looking through threads regarding photography skills and learning from all the experts in here without posting much either. Currently holding on to a Canon Powershot A80 for almost 1 year plus already but still testing out the features of the camera and experimenting with it.

welcome welcome!

Any threads of interest that I should take a look to brush up my skills especially regarding Human Portraits Shot as well as scenery shots?

aiya.. no specific one. just go through all the threads and discussion lor. if u have a specific problem/question, then just start new thread lor! im sure everyone here will be more than happy n willing to post for U! and dun stop shooting! grab every opportunity to make full use of ur camera!!!

Was hoping that I can learn enough in the next few years to advance to a DSLR photographer in 3 to 4 years time....

dun wait liao.... save save save, then BUY BUY BUY!!!

Advices anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by dominicchin
    Hi Chevron
    I use the same cam as u and working to improve my skills and hopefully advancing to a DSLR like u I guess...I'd say - just go and take more pictures and look at other people's photos for inspiration.
    Great... maybe we can exchange pointers along the way....

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    join photoshoots and use your camera
    then post your pictures and ask for comments.
    DO NOT read to much in the good comments but remember the bad ones.
    Make mistakes and learn from it.

to me this is the best way to learn..
    Roger... will be heading to Redang this coming May, hopefully I can generate something "decent" scenery shots for you experts' comments

Reading up won't do any good if you do not put it into practice. The solution is simple -- join as many photoshoots as you can to improve. Make many misktakes and learn from it. Every mistake learnt means one step closer to being better.

Don't need years to advance to a DSLR photographer. Soon as you understnad the basics of photographer, get a DSLR. It's a whole new learning platform on a DSLR. So the later you get it, the slower will be your learning process to improve in this field.

Hi Chevron, I using A85. I still playing around with the camera. Maybe we could organise an outing for newbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom81
    Hi Chevron, I using A85. I still playing around with the camera. Maybe we could organise an outing for newbies.
    Sounds good but we might just end up aimlessly shooting if we dun have any idea what we intend to focus on taking

Quote Originally Posted by Chevron
    Sounds good but we might just end up aimlessly shooting if we dun have any idea what we intend to focus on taking
    Maybe we shoot 1st then post here for comments.

There's a Canon A series yahoo group. Prehaps you would like to join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powerusers/

There's a Canon A series yahoo group. Prehaps you would like to join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powerusers/
    Cool... will sign up for it soon.

There is another one with more members here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canon_A80

Quote Originally Posted by dominicchin
    There is another one with more members here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canon_A80
    kk. I also go join.

Default Developing Photos

Just a question.... if I intend to develop photos edited by Photoshop, sometimes with borders around... how to ensure that the the photos are not crop off by the photo developing system on each side(i.e my borders still remain as it is). Let's say for a 4R photo.

And also apparently, even when I develop 2 photos of the same, the cropping is not consistent, 1 cut more at the top (image dimension = 6300x4800), the other more at the bottom (image dimension = 800 x 610)?
    Last edited by Chevron; 3rd April 2005 at 12:27 PM.

To enter in the world of photography is an exciting yet daunting experience. My number ONE advice...is to TOTALLY FORGET THE LIMITS OF YOUR EQUIPMENT, i can't stand people saying they can't do what they want because of their equipment. Just as long as your camera can capture an image, try to utilise it to its fullest. Before you go and say that your camera is a piece of crap and there's no manual control over it, hack care... you can learn the fundementals of framing and composition with whatever you have. If you do want to learn, please take time to read up on the fundementals of the mechanics behind photography. Read up on composition, the relation between shutter speed and aperture on exposure and all of those. All these information will can in handy once u get a more advanced camera, most likely an SLR. So yeah, take time to find out what happens when you take a photo, very much worth it and you'll find yourself improving expotentially. =)
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

Smile

You can learn alot more with an SLR.
    So is good to up grade.
    The early U up gread the early U learn...
    TO SEE, TO FEEL, TO PHOTOGRAPH.

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk
    To enter in the world of photography is an exciting yet daunting experience. My number ONE advice...is to TOTALLY FORGET THE LIMITS OF YOUR EQUIPMENT, i can't stand people saying they can't do what they want because of their equipment. Just as long as your camera can capture an image, try to utilise it to its fullest. Before you go and say that your camera is a piece of crap and there's no manual control over it, hack care... you can learn the fundementals of framing and composition with whatever you have. If you do want to learn, please take time to read up on the fundementals of the mechanics behind photography. Read up on composition, the relation between shutter speed and aperture on exposure and all of those. All these information will can in handy once u get a more advanced camera, most likely an SLR. So yeah, take time to find out what happens when you take a photo, very much worth it and you'll find yourself improving expotentially. =)
    Thanks for the advice... gonna prepare to read up more once my exams end in 4 weeks time

Quote Originally Posted by Chevron
    Just a question.... if I intend to develop photos edited by Photoshop, sometimes with borders around... how to ensure that the the photos are not crop off by the photo developing system on each side(i.e my borders still remain as it is). Let's say for a 4R photo.

And also apparently, even when I develop 2 photos of the same, the cropping is not consistent, 1 cut more at the top (image dimension = 6300x4800), the other more at the bottom (image dimension = 800 x 610)?
    to make it simple, printing dimension is defined by inch not by pixel.
    to avoid cropping, give the print company the exact dimension you're going to print. (ex. if you print 8R; give them 8x10 inch image file, S8R; give them 8x12inch)

my 2 cents..

4R is 4" x 6" or 1800px by 1200px. is the standard for most photo labs.
    Your Cam is a good cam... i have a A75 and i'm still using it.... if you have like say $400 to spare.... you can get a 2nd hand film SLR with 50mm lens too... good for learning. Coz when you feel the pinch(when u develop film), you'll get results.... haha

Quote Originally Posted by iwan
    to make it simple, printing dimension is defined by inch not by pixel.
    to avoid cropping, give the print company the exact dimension you're going to print. (ex. if you print 8R; give them 8x10 inch image file, S8R; give them 8x12inch)

my 2 cents..
    Seems like I have to adjust myself to work with inches whenever I resize photos using Photoshop instead of pixels...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast