Thread: Confusing Term for step down ring

Default Confusing Term for step down ring

Hi guys,

It seems that sometimes I go to a shop ask a specific thread size for a step down ring, the shop saleman will ask me whether it fits the lens side or the camera side. I thought when I mentioned step down ring they should understand what I am talking about right??? Like for example I am asking for 58-52 step down ring type, it is obviously 58 for camera thread and 52 for filter attachment. Am I making a mistake here? Out of 4 shops, only 2 shops didn't ask and I get what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Hi guys,

It seems that sometimes I go to a shop ask a specific thread size for a step down ring, the shop saleman will ask me whether it fits the lens side or the camera side. I thought when I mentioned step down ring they should understand what I am talking about right??? Like for example I am asking for 58-52 step down ring type, it is obviously 58 for camera thread and 52 for filter attachment. Am I making a mistake here? Out of 4 shops, only 2 shops didn't ask and I get what I wanted.
    Yes step-down ring means bigger thread on lens and smaller thread on the attachment. The reverse is call step-up ring.

No worries, you are right.
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

You are exactly right about definition of step-down.

I think your experience at the shops is just a reflection on the level of product knowledge of the sales people.