Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use an Anti-virus software in your home computer?

AVG - Free Antivirus for non-commercial use.
    www.grisoft.com

ZoneAlarm - Free Firewall
    www.zonealarm.com

Sygate - Free Firewall
    www.sygate.com

XP users can turn on ur windows Firewall, and patch up with SP2 and the latest updates.

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta - Free
    www.microsoft.com

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    What happened? Marios kenak 'banned'?? Must be his own doing lah!....:-), I thought he was from Turkey?
    Uncle! Uncle! You seem not to be able to contain your glee and jubilation everytime you hear someone is banned from "the other forum"?

Life is so uninteresting in HK meh?

If it could multiply your joy, I like to report that we were given a red carpet and a bottle of French champagne to march out.

Why not try the German Anti-vir? It has a personal edition for personal use. It's free too! At www.free-av.com.

What happened? Marios kenak 'banned'?? Must be his own doing lah!....:-), I thought he was from Turkey?

HS
    Hey Hs

How? When next time in Singapore? Me in the deep with work and stuff lah.. No time to pursue banning , but always have time for friends You have my HP so next time you are down here just e-mail/call/PM etc etc..

-- Marios

OK, sure baby! When are you coming here? Why must I always come there?....not fair lah! Tickets now are cheap you know!

HS

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    If it could multiply your joy, I like to report that we were given a red carpet and a bottle of French champagne to march out.
    Sion..

If I can make it away from Melbourne during our visits there I will definetely pop to see the harbour. Its just Melbourne feels so much like home

-- Marios

OK, sure baby! When are you coming here? Why must I always come there?....not fair lah! Tickets now are cheap you know!

HS
    I told you.. I will.. it is a must do.. just heavily busy right now.. but as a promise, I will be there by year's end (the wife is so happy that you made me commit to this).. bookmark this page !

-- Marios

Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas
    Sion..

If I can make it away from Melbourne during our visits there I will definetely pop to see the harbour. Its just Melbourne feels so much like home

-- Marios
    Come lah.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Come lah.

With a teaser like that how can one not.. But currently not in the immediate plans

Sion photo's rock! Any chance of you sending me the Toa Payoh series to put on my desktop? Loved that one and miss it even after so many years!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas
    Any chance of you sending me the Toa Payoh series to put on my desktop? Loved that one and miss it even after so many years!!!!!
    I think they are still there.

You can download them from "the other forum" lah.

using Kaspersky. never failed me, unlike N*rt*n products.

Quote Originally Posted by lui002
    AVG is an excellent FREE Anti-virus software .
    It's probably the freeware anti-virus app with the best designed interface.

Not as effective as the less sexy AntiVir Guard (also free) though, in my experience with both ;-)

http://www.free-av.com

(AntiVir Guard detected virii that AVG did not in my head to head tests months ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    using Kaspersky. never failed me, unlike N*rt*n products.
    WoOoo .... same bro!

I'm using kaspersky for my PC which i use the most.

Advise to all... Norton Internet Security is a major security black hole. Read how it can be exploited via Google.

Using Sygate Firewall at the moment. Most comprehensive and configurable freeware firewall.

NAV simply doesn't cut it if you're running major stuff (main pc) but its still a good anti virus for simple server end. Using it for my servers as well.

I have NO antivirus software on my home PC. (Or my work one either :-). Nor do I have a firewall. (Interferes with my video streaming project).

Both run Linux and i'm not in the habit of running strange files off the Internet as 'root' (The 'administrator' account of the unix world).

I have a MacOSX and a Windows machine in my office as well, and they don't have anti-virus software on their either - I find it messes up the network performance benchmarks I run to test the servers are working properly after maintence.

Norton AV on OSX had reduce disk I/O to less than 1/4 of the maxium the system can do with out NAV sticking it's nose in things.

Having to drag all file I/O though a filter looking for some Quintillion different virus signatures has a significant effect on performance....

Not that I think AV software is really needed on OSX if you are reasonably careful (Don't run strange programs as an admin user) and turn macro's off in Microsoft Office.

Windows suffers from most people running with administrator rights and poorly designed web/email clients that make it far to easy to run code off the 'net' as administrator.
    The windows NT familty (i.e. XP ) would be a lot more secure if the security features built in the OS from the start were actually used properly. Unfortunatly M$ them selves are the worst offenders for supplying applications that don't work properly in a fully 'locked down' environment, or circumvents the security layers totally (IE).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12