Thread: Megapixel Curiousity

Default Megapixel Curiousity

I'm new to digital photography. Need to satisfy this curiousity.

Just a hypothetical example. Two cameras, one 3.2MP the other 10MP. All other things being constant (e.g., same CCD, same settings, etc), will there be quality difference between these two cameras if the print output is 3R?
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

You should read this.

Megapixel Myth
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui

Just a hypothetical example. Two cameras, one 3.2MP the other 10MP. All other things being constant (e.g., same CCD, same settings, etc), will there be quality difference between these two cameras if the print output is 3R?
    mohgui,

At 3R, there won't any difference. Don't get too fixated on the pixel count. The bottomline is which camera puts out nicer pics as far as your own eye can see, not 3.2mp vs 10mp.

Blog Entries

I agree with ken

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    mohgui,

At 3R, there won't any difference. Don't get too fixated on the pixel count. The bottomline is which camera puts out nicer pics as far as your own eye can see, not 3.2mp vs 10mp.
    That's what I thought too. But I have got friends who beg to differ. One says that a 10mp in 3R is not as good as the 3.2mp as the pixels are really cramped up in the given size.

The other says that the 10mp will look better than the 3.2mp in 3R. That's why, I need some expert opinion from fellow-clubsnappers.
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

If u judge quality from prints, yes, small prints may not show up too much of a differences. But again it depends on the printer used.....my experience of working with relative small print size photos, a higher pixel-photos with the appropriate PS and resolution enhancement (not necessary enlargement) can improve quality...provided time is on yr side.

if there is an apple priced at 3 dollars,

i give you 3 dollars or i give you 10 dollars you can still buy the apple.

no different actually, provided all the other factors are same.

but, in reality, how can they produce a 10mega pixel ccd using the same technology as 3mega pixel one...

Something to think about: Would the noise level from the 10 megapixel camera be lower if the image is scaled down to 3 megapixel?

Something else to think about:-
    If one pixel is for red, one for green, one for blue; does that a 3 mega pixel CCD is actually a 1 mega pixel CCD (full colour).
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Something else to think about:-
    If one pixel is for red, one for green, one for blue; does that a 3 mega pixel CCD is actually a 1 mega pixel CCD (full colour).
    Read up on "Bayer interpolation".

Quote Originally Posted by CrashWire
    Something to think about: Would the noise level from the 10 megapixel camera be lower if the image is scaled down to 3 megapixel?
    Yes. it will.

That's what I thought too. But I have got friends who beg to differ. One says that a 10mp in 3R is not as good as the 3.2mp as the pixels are really cramped up in the given size.

The other says that the 10mp will look better than the 3.2mp in 3R. That's why, I need some expert opinion from fellow-clubsnappers.
    everything else being equal (noise, contrast, color, etc), 3Rs produced from the two pictures will be the same. larger sized prints are different thought. the 10MP image will allow you to print ~3 times as big as the 3MP image, while maintaining the same quality.

Hi mohgui,

Maybe you'd like to ask your friends to show you the same 3.2mp and 10mp pics they are fussing over? Might be easier if you saw both pictures and decided for yourself

If you are planning to crop your original image a lot (and I mean a whole lot) the 10mp would give you more pixels for your final print. This perhaps is the only area I am aware of where you may see some differences.

For the same CCD to be used set have 3.2MP and 10MP setting, I think that the same camera needs to be used. If I'm not wrong, 6MP DSLRs have around 1MP to 6MP setting, with others in between. To do a fair comparision, just take 2 shots, 1 at 3MP and 1 at 6MP, with everything else the same.

I feel that 3R is to small to see any differences in image quality. It would probably be noticeable at 8R or larger.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancer
    If you are planning to crop your original image a lot (and I mean a whole lot) the 10mp would give you more pixels for your final print. This perhaps is the only area I am aware of where you may see some differences.
    Good point and a relevant one.