Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it fair?

$200/- is cheap. But before we go futher, does the photographer have the right to resell the images? In my studio I do not resell any imges to anyone else if I'm paid to do a shoot as the client have already paid for the job and the copyright belongs to them. My copyrights, unless stated otherwise, is only for my own portfolio and not to resell to a third party, and even than, I'll only include them in my portfolio only when the ad have started to run. If a model wants the images ( which is usually the case ) I'll ask them to approch the client first, when the client give the go ahead, I may sell them at my price which the client may want to take a cut ( but usually they don't want the cut ).
    This is how most of my friends and I doing full time commerical jobs operate.

PS: why don't you ask the client for it? Tell them it is only for your own portfolio and most of the time they either select a few shots for you or they may ask the photographer to give you a copy. Some of my clients give hard copies to their models.

The website owners, www.brashoppe.com.sg must thank you for the sudden increase in surfing traffic!

Get it?
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    If you were paid, the rights belong to the employer in this case. You have no rights to demand for the images back.

Unless there was a clause that says you are supposed to get a copy back for personal keeping. Else... doesn't matter you were paid $1 or $10 or $100000000.
    I second what ESPN says. As long as u r paid, the photo rights belong to the photographers.

Even in model shoots found in CS, photog are not obliged to give pic to the models. If they do give, it is a privelege and kind of them.

If u want some of the pic, u can ask the client directly.
    Last edited by jeff49er; 31st March 2005 at 08:06 PM.

Default My take

I think most agree that the photographer owns the rights to the pictures and he can choose how much he wants to re-sell the pictures to you.
    $200 in my opinion is a little steep but that is his right to charge whatever amount he deems fit.
    Just as some shooters can choose to charge $150 per person to attend their photo shoots, or a model asking $100 per hour for a session, the same principle applies here.
    No doubt you must be feeling bitter about the price he quoted you, but that's the way it works.
    Lesson learned: Next time ask for the price of the photos in 'black and white' before posing.

BTW...Congratulations, heard you are getting married.

I don't think espn meant the photographer owns the pics. He is most likely referring to the lingerie company, in which case yqt has a point about whether the photographer should be using/selling the photos in the first place.

The moral of the story is, when you do a commercial assignment that is going to be in media, always get contracts signed, releases signed, and everything made clear beforehand
    The photographer doesn't need to give you pictures of a shoot unless you made it clear beforehand, he was paid to shoot photos of you guys for the bra shop, not photos of you guys
    You gotta admit though, those photos of Jolin are pretty darn pretty. I think $200 is cheap.
    And I think giving a CD with the images is nice already, considering that allows you to reproduce the photographer's work countless times.

If you think his work is worth the $200.00 Get it. Simple and easy. Show to a few more friends and photographers. See what they think about it. If they think it's of a great standard.....then buy it. Just make sure the CD his giving to you is at least a decent standard which can at least print up to A4 size.

Oh by the way......$200 is dirt cheap. If I am selling this kinda of photos, I will sell you at least $500.

Contract is not sign at all, so he is allowed to sell you the photos at any price he feels that is justified to his artistic skills.

as said . . you already been paid=loose your right, what have you agreed upon(know what have you signed?) $200 for 20 photo ?????? thats discounted price.

Er why do you want the photos ? The 1st photo makes you look distorted, second one cuts off your head. Third one exposes your armpit

I think forget it, don't buy the photos

Deregistered

expose armpits nevermind....the thing is that its not di !...unprofessional.... either that or she didnt shave her pits

act....copyright should belong to client... and if stated...he should only use for his company wat....

how can the photog sell it?

anyway... never see the paper u sign...how to tell...u got a copy of it??

if not..juz forget it lo....

cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by rhythm_traveller
    Er why do you want the photos ? The 1st photo makes you look distorted, second one cuts off your head. Third one exposes your armpit

I think forget it, don't buy the photos
    I agree, the 2 photos of you I've seen are not well taken, certainly when compared to the main gallery (Jolin). The first picture looks overexposed, with the chest area (and importantly, the bra!) so blown you can hardly make out any details of the bra

If the other 18 pics on the CD are of the same quality, I'd certainly keep my $200

Quote Originally Posted by poisonlady
    Can u guy pls tell me whether is it fair...

Pls go to www.brashoppe.com.sg and check out Jolin and my lingerie photos..

To tell truthfully....we charge this client very very little and miserable rate for this lingerie shoot...

When we request to get back the photos from the photographer (client and him have no relation) who owns a studio....

He is giving us 2 A4 photos for free but...

He is charging us 20 photos for whopping $200!!!!

Do u think he overcharge???

I dun mind paying for a fee but i think (not too sure) he is also using our photos (he did took some casual shots of us with this shoot) for his makeover promotion at his shop....

We are not normal people who go to his shop and choose to take a makeover package....

Seriously, if I really wanna do a makeover, i would have consider a better photographer and a better co, right?

Any advise?

P/s: I am seriously angry and on fire....
    Maybe you should charge more for that lingerie shoot.

BTW....

The photos he is selling to us is not the the hard copy ok...

IS A CD WITH 20 PHOTOS AND CHARGING $200 PER CD!!!
    Full-res images?

See nothing wrong with the price. $200 is how much I charge per image even for folks using it for non-commercial.

Thanks for all the comments and the pms from some of u guys here...

u guys are great...**hugzzzzzzzz & muakzzzzz**

me and jolin was very upset bout the whole thing...

First time we were charge for getting such photos......

It is really not up to my expectation.....

i will request my client to give me all of the 1/5 photos that he provide to her....

Why the reason i am getting back the photos is because:

1. We did not plan to do much lingerie shoot again

2. We charge the client damn dirt cheap....(I sympathise her low cost business) for the whole shoot and she said we could get the photos back

3. We did not know in the first place that the 2 (client and photographer) of them are not related

It is our mistake for not getting all the right communications......

I know he has the rights to charge us the photos but we never expect it will be so ex.....

To us.... it is ex for such standards, we wouldnt even mind paying for taking some glamour shoots if it is a very good photographer egointblankshots

This is really a lesson learnt......

I dun mind paying for a fee but i think (not too sure) he is also using our photos (he did took some casual shots of us with this shoot) for his makeover promotion at his shop....
    look at the contract and see who owns the rights. if the lingerie company owns the rights then the photographer cannot use the photos for his own shop (unless written in the contract), also it's not his decision to give u the photos or not

read your contract again and see what it says
    Last edited by quekky; 1st April 2005 at 08:07 AM.

There are good jobs, bad and ugly jobs. Forget about them, and move on. Make a decision - if you want the pic, just pay 200 bucks. Just do a few more jobs and make more than the 200 bucks.

In life, we always learn something new as we go along.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Thanks for all the comments and the pms from some of u guys here...

i will request my client to give me all of the 1/5 photos that he provide to her....

Why the reason i am getting back the photos is because:

1. We did not plan to do much lingerie shoot again

2. We charge the client damn dirt cheap....(I sympathise her low cost business) for the whole shoot and she said we could get the photos back

3. We did not know in the first place that the 2 (client and photographer) of them are not related

It is our mistake for not getting all the right communications......

I know he has the rights to charge us the photos but we never expect it will be so ex.....

To us.... it is ex for such standards, we wouldnt even mind paying for taking some glamour shoots if it is a very good photographer egointblankshots

This is really a lesson learnt......
    err you seemed to have missed the main point - the photog should have no rights on the photos unless he was not paid - if he was paid then as a paid for hire shooter the copyrights belong to the bra site owner. the photog and the bra site owner should be related under a shooter/client relationship.

Get the images from her - if she does not have them ask her to get them from the photog. But looking at the pictures if wonder if they are worth the effort - you gals have good assets but I feel it could have been done better. grin if you need better pictures I am sure there are many who would volunteer to shoot.

Deregistered

Well PL, there's always ways to get your shots. Nope not asking you to pay but just simply get a session organised, 4-6 shooters, I'm pretty sure a lot of CSers would be willing to pay you for pose and if you ask nicely enough, they'll give you prints & CDs

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Well PL, there's always ways to get your shots. Nope not asking you to pay but just simply get a session organised, 4-6 shooters, I'm pretty sure a lot of CSers would be willing to pay you for pose and if you ask nicely enough, they'll give you prints & CDs

cheers.
    I think I took it granted that every photographers are as nice as u guys in clubsnap as I got back all my photos when i did private shoots with u people....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast