Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coolpix A

Default Re: Coolpix A

Quote Originally Posted by vicpeh View Post
    Hi Tomcat,

Are these OOC jpegs or converted raw files?

Best regards.
    They are converted Raw images.

What is the diff btw this camera & Nikon 1?

Quote Originally Posted by eij22 View Post
    The name.

Quote Originally Posted by ageha View Post
    The name.
    In that case, are their spec comparable or A is better since it's using a DX sensor?
    Last edited by eij22; 14th April 2013 at 04:21 PM.

In that case, are their spec comparable or A is better since it's using a DX sensor?
    Ever thought about comparing the specifications? I heard somewhere that might help.

Please try some research before asking. A little bit effort goes a long way.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    The high ISO performance is really good. Seem to me to be better than the Sony RX100 and the Fuji X20 both of which tend to depend on image stacking in jpeg mode to produce better results than shooting in RAW mode at ISO 3200.
    Considering the sensor size, that's perfectly logical
    Alpha

here ya go! the first one's free. do some leg work next time

Sensor Size and their Differences

Coolpix A images in good light...

Last edited by tomcat; 22nd April 2013 at 03:56 AM.

Looks like there are halos - did you hdr process these?
    Alpha

Not sure if it's my screen, but the pics look a bit 'gritty'? Like they're from a small sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Not sure if it's my screen, but the pics look a bit 'gritty'? Like they're from a small sensor?
    Not sure at all what you mean by "gritty"?

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I would think that typically a small sensor would produce mushy outputs of areas in an image with fine details like grass or leaves on the trees or brickwork or windows in faraway highrise buildings, etc because they could not resolve the details. A large sensored camera like the Coolpix A could resolve such details which would be obvious when viewed at 100% resolution but if severely reduced in size like in this case, could cause all these fine details to look crushed together and maybe 'gritty' like what you thought, or looked overly sharpened.

I actually took the same scenes with my Sigma DP1M which has the same focal length lens and sensor size of the Coolpix A for comparison. The resolution of the Sigma DP1M images at 100% viewing is way higher than those of the Coolpix A and would probably look even 'grittier' to you than those of the Coolpix A when reduced to same size for posting.

Example:

Sigma DP1M

Thanks for your explanation. It's just that on my laptop the downsampled pics which were shot in harsh sunlight made the pics look 'unnatural'. Anyway I appreciate your efforts in providing your opinions and pics from this camera.

I see jaggard edges. This is especially evident in the 2nd photo. Photos look like they were over shaprened.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I see jaggard edges. This is especially evident in the 2nd photo. Photos look like they were over shaprened.
    It's probably due to the severe downsizing and jpeg compression in the posted images. They don't have jagged edges when viewed at 100% resolution.

It's probably due to the severe downsizing and jpeg compression in the posted images. They don't have jagged edges when viewed at 100% resolution.
    Can you post them fullrez or at least 2k?

Quote Originally Posted by ageha View Post
    Can you post them fullrez or at least 2k?
    Here's a larger version of the Singapore River shot.
    http://www.pbase.com/pschia/image/14...4/original.jpg

An urban photographer's review of the Coolpix A.
    Review: The Nikon Coolpix A

"I think technical image quality of the overall package matches or slightly exceeds that of the Leica M9/ 28/2.8 ASPH or 28/2 ASPH combinations, and far exceeds the Zeiss ZM 2.8/28 Biogon/ M9 combination. (I’ve shot thousands of exposures with all three under a wide variety of conditions, so I’m intimately familiar with the results.) Needless to say, high ISO performance of the Coolpix A is significantly better. There’s also the size/ responsiveness/ portability equation to consider, too. I can’t help but think the quality of the results put the price very much in perspective."
    Last edited by tomcat; 27th April 2013 at 08:47 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast