Thread: DOF of the E-sys

Default DOF of the E-sys

hi guys, juz want to check with u to see how u feel about the DOF of the E-sys, or at least with my kit lens 14-54mm F2.8~F3.5. thx. is it too sharp for your taste? any comments r welcome.

DOF 1 at F4.5:

DOF 2 at F2.8:

DOF 3 at F3.5:

DOF 4 at F3.5:
    Last edited by nightpiper; 31st March 2005 at 02:14 AM.

Hi Piper,

IMO, It's sharp all right!

Quote Originally Posted by MikaMatin
    Hi Piper,

IMO, It's sharp all right!
    I don't think anyone would complain that their lens is too sharp. What he probably meant was whether the DOF is too much.

To me the DOF is just nice. Non E-system users tend to assume that the DOF of ZD lenses would be too much ie not enough background blurring and poor bokeh, due to the smaller CCD size. But that is not the case in practice. The difference is hardly noticeable at larger apertures and only noticeable if compared when the lenses are stopped down.

The slightly increased DOF is actually an advantage for macro photography as I don't need to stop down so much to get the same DOF with the 50mm f/2 macro compared to my Sigma 100mm EX macro for Canon DSLR. Conversely for the same aperture setting, I can get more DOF and more parts of the image in focus with the E-300 than with the Canon 20D.

Hello Nightpiper,

I agree with Tomcat. For most practical purposes (ie. most of us), the F2.8-4 range offers decent DOF. DOF is also dependent on focal length, subject distance, play with these variables to manage DOF.

In some case, the larger aperture lenses are favoured for brighter viewfinder image & AF performance than the DOF effects at max aperture.

The E-System: A bane for eyelash lovers A boon for bug lovers (jesting)

Nice photos, I think I have a similar flower shot (I'm bad with all flower names) from my C7070, review still pending :-)

Cheers,

the bokeh looks beautiful! as good as the best that i have ever seen.

thx tomcat for that clarification. sorry i meant the background/bokeh of the pics, i didn't make myself very clear. i m doing an unscientific test on this DOF thingy to determine if there's really a huge difference between 2x crop & other lesser crop factors. so i have different aperture settings on different scenes to 'generalise' the normal usage.

so u guys dun think the bokeh is too sharp (esp the last pic)? or wud u prefer it to be more blurry/creamy look? if i can get hold of the 50mm, i will do a more extensive test. thx for the comments.

OT. chancy, u r doing a C7070 review? wow, looking forward to reading it.