Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

Quote Originally Posted by huatman View Post
    U shot at wide open? f/1.4? Always?
    To me, I feel canon image tend to be a bit softer compare to others.
    Yes, i was so trigger happy and i used most of my photos on F/1.4.. .. Indeed, it is "soft"
    Now i realized my mistake. feel bad for that person i took her photos.. doesn't like sharp...

Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    600d is a capable camera, 50 1.4 is a great piece of glass, I like the contrast, used it on the 20d years back. PMed you
    Thanks ^_^

Will try that... ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Try to use one of your friend's 1Ds class camera that has a EC screen fitted with rangefinder split focusing screen.

Use the split image to focus the 50mm f1.4 lens on a lens test chart. Shoot at f1.4.

I knew a few having 60D . and one having 5D Mark III ...
    1D is.......... something i didnt event dream on..

But thks anyway. Cheers ~ ^_^

Firstly, shooting at f1.4 means super accurate focusing because zone of sharpness may only be a few cm, depending the camera to subject distance. This means that the slightest shift will result in a blur picture. And most lenses are never the sharpest wide open.

Also it depends on the shutter speed - in the shade iso 200, shutter speed can be as low a 1/60 for f1.4 while out in the open is 1/2000. If your handholding technique is not good, the image will not be sharp even with stabilization.

Solution - practice. I shoot wide open most of the time, at shutter speeds as low as 1/30 no stabilization. The slightest shift will result in a less than sharp image, whether due to focusing, or wrong hand holding technique or both. I have been practising for 20 years and still no guarantee.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123