Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

  1. #21

    Default

    Normally lens dun perform the best wide open, that why normally dun shot wide open, will usually use f/2.8 or above. And at f/1.4, a slight movement may cause the subject to be out of the focus.
    Taking group shot will be better to use a much higher aperture value.

  2. #22
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by dteoyk View Post
    thats suck indeed. spending $$ buying a f/1.4 and could only use 2.8.. .anyway, i will try to take some shots w/o the filter. or is it becos of my camera not compactable to the lens ? i saw ppl uisng semi pro 60D. looks good on them. thank you
    You should have read up before then.

    Most lenses are not going to be sharp wide open. That's just how it is. People buy 50mm F/1.4 precisely so that they have the option to stop down a little to F/2.8 and get sharp images. You don't even have that option with say, kit lens, which can't even open to F/2.8.

    How the lens looks at the camera should not matter to a photographer. Now to someone who wants the camera as a fashion accessory, yeah I guess...

  3. #23
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by dteoyk View Post
    thanks. yes, i dont usually shoot on tiny flower or i dun really do it. i was testing out the effect. i bought the lens two wks ago at funan it mall. brand new. i did my first try one on some outing shoots with people. dim corridor and outdoor shots. that's when i discovered having problem with sharpness. just yesterday, did another outing shoot with ppl at Chinese Garden. distance was like 2,3, 4 meter away, the facial was not sharp. i gave up and chg to regular 18-55mm. it turn out that the photos are sharper ! that's the reason why i went out today to a nearby little garden to try out again. to make sure it is not my mishandling that the pic is not sharp. and yes, i will heed your advise.
    To test properly, you should run tests making sure that there is no handshake (either on tripod or on table top) and no subject movement.

    Some copies of lenses have backfocusing issues, easily solved via calibration but I think you would have to go CSC.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    oh, .. yup was there around 5 pm.. a gp of cosplayer..

  5. #25

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    noted. thanks... should have bought 3rd party, cheaper.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    thanks. appreciate your kindness. i will hang on to it.. knowing now those "singing praises" of F/1.4 sharpness which tamping me to buy.. i had to say as a novice photographer, a lesson learnt. cheers ~

  7. #27

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    Thanks, btw.. i am not blaming the lens. i have problem handling with it and that's why i am asking question. i've been through basic photography course conducted by Phocus Photography School. and had been taking photos for the past 1 year. Yes, i still consider myself novice photographer. Noted you points, yes, i will continue to pracitse hard handling and focus pt. thank you

  8. #28

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    thank you. will heed your advise it is just that i seen so many singing praises of F/1.4.. view some photos comparision.. Make me wonder why.. understood, it works like the telecom.. promise u the max internet speed but u reach it..

  9. #29
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by dteoyk View Post
    thank you. will heed your advise it is just that i seen so many singing praises of F/1.4.. view some photos comparision.. Make me wonder why.. understood, it works like the telecom.. promise u the max internet speed but u reach it..
    The 50mm F/1.4 is still better than the other option from Canon i.e. 50mm F/1.8 or 1.7 , can't remember.

    You gain a half-stop of speed and nicer bokeh, I don't know why you are unhappy with the lens. I think maybe you think that getting a DSLR is all about image quality but actually that's just part of the story:

    - DSLRs allow the user to take photographs more comfortably and quickly with more intuitive adjustments and controls
    - The f/1.4 allows you the possibility of actually getting a sufficiently exposed photograph with still better-quality than most compact cameras even if wide open if the user technique is there (There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a blurry concept, as some have said)
    - DSLRs allow so much more flexibility through additional features, e.g. use of flash, etc.

    I really would spend more time worrying about brushing up my own skills to get good shots rather than comparing X lens to Y lens as a photographer. There are people who do that, they are called lens reviewers and right now there's loads of them around. If the lens is really so bad, then dump it, get another one. With Clubsnap's warped B&S market prices, you won't lose much money.

    For your info, I've seen many good and sharp photographs out from the 50mm F/1.4 lens. I have also seen many good photographs out from the lowly kit lens. That is not to say that the 50mm lens is useless, but hey, lenses are dead, inanimate objects. You are alive and thinking. It is up to the photographer to make the most of whatever equipment he has and mold himself to bring out the best given any circumstance. Of course, through the years, I've seen many who prefer to keep thinking that the purchase of something that costs more would somehow make their photographs better. Better image quality, sure... But a boring photograph, sharp or not, is still a boring photograph. Cheers.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 18th March 2013 at 03:52 PM.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    Yes, i did some read up, like 6 months ago .. however, the info i got on internet are all singing praises. guess i didn't dig deep enough to get real info.. i admit my mistake.. lesson learnt...

    Er.. I dont mean the lens look good on the camera. what i meant is the photo quality looks good. sorry for the misunderstanding



    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    You should have read up before then.

    Most lenses are not going to be sharp wide open. That's just how it is. People buy 50mm F/1.4 precisely so that they have the option to stop down a little to F/2.8 and get sharp images. You don't even have that option with say, kit lens, which can't even open to F/2.8.

    How the lens looks at the camera should not matter to a photographer. Now to someone who wants the camera as a fashion accessory, yeah I guess...

  11. #31

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    To test properly, you should run tests making sure that there is no handshake (either on tripod or on table top) and no subject movement.

    Some copies of lenses have backfocusing issues, easily solved via calibration but I think you would have to go CSC.
    Thanks, i have doubt becos even in speed of 1/1000, the pic is blurr.. i did test on people.. in low light enviroment, it works very well.. however, i notice the facial is not sharp. i did focus on the eye..

  12. #32

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    The 50mm F/1.4 is still better than the other option from Canon i.e. 50mm F/1.8 or 1.7 , can't remember.

    You gain a half-stop of speed and nicer bokeh, I don't know why you are unhappy with the lens. I think maybe you think that getting a DSLR is all about image quality but actually that's just part of the story:

    - DSLRs allow the user to take photographs more comfortably and quickly with more intuitive adjustments and controls
    - The f/1.4 allows you the possibility of actually getting a sufficiently exposed photograph with still better-quality than most compact cameras even if wide open if the user technique is there (There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a blurry concept, as some have said)
    - DSLRs allow so much more flexibility through additional features, e.g. use of flash, etc.

    I really would spend more time worrying about brushing up my own skills to get good shots rather than comparing X lens to Y lens as a photographer. There are people who do that, they are called lens reviewers and right now there's loads of them around. If the lens is really so bad, then dump it, get another one. With Clubsnap's warped B&S market prices, you won't lose much money.

    For your info, I've seen many good and sharp photographs out from the 50mm F/1.4 lens. I have also seen many good photographs out from the lowly kit lens. That is not to say that the 50mm lens is useless, but hey, lenses are dead, inanimate objects. You are alive and thinking. It is up to the photographer to make the most of whatever equipment he has and mold himself to bring out the best given any circumstance. Of course, through the years, I've seen many who prefer to keep thinking that the purchase of something that costs more would somehow make their photographs better. Better image quality, sure... But a boring photograph, sharp or not, is still a boring photograph. Cheers.

    I am not happy about the lens. it is just that i have some problem with the sharpness. i wish to clarify. i took photos of ppl and now knowing the facial are blurr..
    Yes, indeed.. i try it in low light (dim corridor) it works very well..

    Sorry, a little bit of myself. i took up basic photography course with Phocus photography school on Nov 2011. had been taking photos of ppl, scenery for the past one year, (over 10,000 photos) till today, i still consider myself as novice photographer becos i feel i have much to learn. i did some research on F1.4, 6 mth prior b4 buying it. Guess i did not seach hard enough..

    i dont fancy "expensive" lens... I don't think i can affort to "burn" money.. that's the first reason y i started off with ameuter DSLR (600D) as labelled by Canon Camera Procducts. and takes me months to think carefully b4 finally decided to buy the 50mm = =

    Thanks you so much for your enrichment comments. very useful info. lesson learnt.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    i thanks everyone here who are so nice and kind, making the effort to explain and giving alot of helpful/useful information. I salute (*bow) to everyone. Cheers~

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dteoyk View Post
    i thanks everyone here who are so nice and kind, making the effort to explain and giving alot of helpful/useful information. I salute (*bow) to everyone. Cheers~
    Do remember you can always rent and test before buying...
    Alpha

  15. #35
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    as others have said above ...

    also another point...... test the lens out to confirm if its really DoF bokeh or something wrong with the lens

    SINCE you just bought the lens, you will have warranty

    U can and should test for possible backfocussing problem for your peace of mind.
    Canon Back Focus Problem - IMPROVED!
    Last edited by ed9119; 18th March 2013 at 06:12 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dteoyk

    Thanks, i have doubt becos even in speed of 1/1000, the pic is blurr.. i did test on people.. in low light enviroment, it works very well.. however, i notice the facial is not sharp. i did focus on the eye..
    U shot at wide open? f/1.4? Always?
    To me, I feel canon image tend to be a bit softer compare to others.

  17. #37
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    600d is a capable camera, 50 1.4 is a great piece of glass, I like the contrast, used it on the 20d years back. PMed you

  18. #38

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Do remember you can always rent and test before buying...

    thanks.. noted ^_^

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    Try to use one of your friend's 1Ds class camera that has a EC screen fitted with rangefinder split focusing screen.

    Use the split image to focus the 50mm f1.4 lens on a lens test chart. Shoot at f1.4.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Pls help on f1.4 50mm lens. photo quality not good as seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    as others have said above ...

    also another point...... test the lens out to confirm if its really DoF bokeh or something wrong with the lens

    SINCE you just bought the lens, you will have warranty

    U can and should test for possible backfocussing problem for your peace of mind.
    Canon Back Focus Problem - IMPROVED!

    Wow.. thanks. very useful info !!! ^_^
    Noted, will check with Canon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •