Thread: Spectra Color Lab Has Closed Down

Default Spectra Color Lab Has Closed Down

Spectra Color Lab at Boon Keng has closed down. I was at the place today when I was informed of their intention to shut down due to high rental costs

Quote Originally Posted by Date
    Spectra Color Lab at Boon Keng has closed down. I was at the place today when I was informed of their intention to shut down due to high rental costs
    That's really terrible. Best E-6 processing in town.

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    That's really terrible. Best E-6 processing in town.
    very sad too, use them since ADCOLOR days.....

Due to high rental costs, does that mean they are moving only?

HS

Now this is sad news indeed.

Shut down or moving? If they shut down then there goes my E6 processing.

maybe too competitve liao..

30cts/print how to earn $$..

i guess they found better things to do.
    Good for them !

another slide processing lab closed down.. after fuji lab AMK

and slowly some giant chained stores will monopolise the market then bump up the processing price. Not a good sign.... *sigh* This happens very often in Singapore though.

Sad, one less place for E-6 processing.

if they can't survive at the current margin,new player of coz have to raise price mah..

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Due to high rental costs, does that mean they are moving only?

HS
    Yeah, I did ask the kind ladies, but they said they were closing permanently. According to them, Bernard, the one who does the processing magic, however, will be going over to "Retrographic" (not too sure about spelling) at Blk 106, Boon Keng Road, #05-08. They told me to inform them that I was a Spectra customer. Will be giving it a try tommorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sumball
    and slowly some giant chained stores will monopolise the market then bump up the processing price. Not a good sign.... *sigh* This happens very often in Singapore though.
    Seriously though, if Fujilab cannot survive, I really wonder how the smaller ones can continue. What I fear is that there might not even be any good processing labs in the future. Gasp.

Was told that Spectra had been in this business for 17 years. Very depressing at the thought, for I had been very satisfied with their services. When I was there, some of the fixtures were already removed. They were already in the process of packing up.

Seriously though, if Fujilab cannot survive, I really wonder how the smaller ones can continue. What I fear is that there might not even be any good processing labs in the future. Gasp.

Was told that Spectra had been in this business for 17 years. Very depressing at the thought, for I had been very satisfied with their services. When I was there, some of the fixtures were already removed. They were already in the process of packing up.
    Bernard was at ADCOLOR before he set up Spectra, Ruby, Jeannette, Helen, all are related to Bernard.

There are the best for conventional processing and printing, surely miss all the kind people in Spectra.

Yup. Was told by Ruby that this was more or less a family business. Anyway, Ruby told me that she might want to do free-lance printing. If there are any other news from her, I try to post it here.

It is bad for everyone that another good lab is closing down. And, yes, I agreed that once there is only one or two big labs left, prices will go up and that is bad news even for digital shooters who want to do big prints.
    Most lab in sg who want to survive must diverse into other fields. RGB and Procolour have gone into digital imaging and are doing OK.
    From what I understand, Spectra when into commercial photography. Some of my commerical photography friends stopped using them as they are not comfortable with another photographer being able to know: what they shoot, when they shoot, who they shoot for, what is the concept for an upcoming ad...etc.
    I'm not sure if that is the reason for their closing down but I'm sure my clients ( Ad Agencies ) will not be happy about someone else knowing about their upcoming ad.
    Just my views.

I think they are pro enough to not devulge the trade secrets...

I have personally not used Spectra but have seen their quality in large prints, which is excellent. Many people who goes for Distinctions etc print there.....

Sad news indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    I think they are pro enough to not devulge the trade secrets...

I have personally not used Spectra but have seen their quality in large prints, which is excellent. Many people who goes for Distinctions etc print there.....

Sad news indeed.
    Yes, I too belive that they are pro enough, it's just that the agencies are not sure and in this tight market no one want to take the chance. Not the agencies or the photographers, the logic is, " why take the risk of offending the client when you can avoid it? ". I know some may not agreed but in business it's better to play safe. Anyway, that's just what I heard and also how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    very sad too, use them since ADCOLOR days.....
    ADCOLOR those were the days,some of the staffs are now with RGB and ProColor.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Ds
    ADCOLOR those were the days,some of the staffs are now with RGB and ProColor.
    20 years ago liao...