View Poll Results: Which is more useful for learning photography???

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Streets prob more useful for learning

18 16.36%
  • Portraits prob more useful for learning

13 11.82%
  • Doesnt really matter

79 71.82%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TREND in CS

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    how different can a mass produced item be?

but i agree, why follow the trend
    In my humble opinion:
    1. Go for street outing, may come home empty handed, but not for model shoot.
    2. Too many model shoot around, almost every weekend. Hard to find street outing kaki.
    3. See the viewer clicks on street and model gallery posting. Which one gets more popular response?

Street and Portraits, Both subjects are equally challenging, it depends what your interest in, and what you want to achieve.

Personally, I started off with quite a fair bit of Street Shooting... primarily, it's free and no pressure from anyone.

What I gained out of street shooting are:
    a) Good practice on operating my camera. I learned to change and check settings quickly on the fly. I've encountered opportunities where I saw a good composition or moments, but ended up with motion blur, poor DOF, wrong ISO etc... Those were lessons and experiences that help me a lot when I shoot events like weddings.

b) Trained my reaction and response. Moments on the street comes and go quickly. U get the shot, or u don't. I learned to compose shots quickly in my mind, and once the composition I have in mind presents itself, I raise my camera and shoot. Sounds simple, but it requires experience and knowledge of the focal length of lens I have and surrounding lightings etc. How does it help? Again, they were invaluable experiences for weddings and events I covered.

c) Practice on composition. We can't usually control the background or environment totally in street photography. Hence, composition on how tighly to frame the shot etc, becomes critical, cos' we don't want unwanted distractions in our shots. How does this help? When I started going for organised model shoots, I can further control the composition n frame my shots better.

There's also a great deal of things that I've yet to learn from organised portrait shooting... certain skills and considerations are not the same as street shooting, which some CSers have already pointed out...

Although there aren't many organised street shooting here, I do believe there r still photogs who roams in out streets...

Jus sharing my experience...
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

i agree with jia wang..... learnt alot from my time with streets and still consistantly learning to perfect my portriats...

wat i feel is that if from day one straight away zoom into portriats maybe too much to handle?

but come to tink of it...there maybe many diff views on this issue..... haha.... act dunno wat the newer members of the forum tink...... maybe can wait for them to post some experiences here too....

cheers...

street shooting outings are on the decline. prolly cos the usual places are so standard and everyone's sick of shooting the durian.

portraiture has the ability to be different. (then again, not many shooters take advantage of that.)

i think ppl got tired of shooting the same thing...but how abt making the same thing/place look different all the time?

its coincidence too...that this year, i'll have some place to do portrait shoots. he he...not following trend but just coincidence.
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    street shooting outings are on the decline. prolly cos the usual places are so standard and everyone's sick of shooting the durian.

portraiture has the ability to be different. (then again, not many shooters take advantage of that.)
    street shooting best done alone ... portraiture different? seems about the same most of the time as far as the postings are concerned

Well, I started with scenery shooting and go into different types of shoots. I'll be interested in all types of shoot because I am learning. Yes, I do agree that the blooming of model shoots are apparent now in ClubSnap but I am not limiting myself to just shoot models. And also, one will notice that the models are always girls. How about male models? Nobody interested? It is the skill and art we are learning and not to be with a pretty lady right?

I am sure most of us will think this way too. I'll be very happy if there is an outing shoot and I'll join in whenever I can.
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    My Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by khairi
    i think ppl got tired of shooting the same thing...but how abt making the same thing/place look different all the time?

its coincidence too...that this year, i'll have some place to do portrait shoots. he he...not following trend but just coincidence.
    easier said than done khairi. that's like wat... 1 unique picture in 1/2 day's shoot? that would never sink with digital shooters *evil snigger* ( juz joking ).

street shooting as mentioned here.. is that the same as landscape shooting? we don't really have that many true street shooters here.

eh i only shoot portriats now le..... but i shoot alone...cant seem to work when 4-6 other s are shooting.....

street diff....i can shoot with 30 more ahah....

hmm ... haven't gone for any outing ... street or portrait ... cos

street
    ------
    1) no time (students very busy leh)
    2) paiseh lah ... dun dare go on the street and shoot .. later kenna whack ...

portraits
    --------
    1) need to pay $$ (students pocket money not alot lor .. still need to buy notes, cut hair, eat and save $$ to join the dark side)
    2) dunno how to use reflector etc ...

ot abit ... anyone here can teach me to use a reflector? ... or point me to a webbie with tips? (couldn't find one) thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Expiredyoghurt

street
    ------

portraits
    --------
    1) need to pay $$ (students pocket money not alot lor .. still need to buy notes, cut hair, eat and save $$ to join the dark side)

ot abit ... anyone here can teach me to use a reflector? ... or point me to a webbie with tips? (couldn't find one) thanks!
    Go and shoot sunrise and sunset, it's free, and have showtime everyday everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Expiredyoghurt

street
    ------

portraits
    --------

u serious? paiseh for the bluntness but you won't go very far if those are real reasons.

if you are serious about photography you will find time and resources ... and things to shoot. you don't need alot to start photography, you need yourself to be in it.

true..

and yes....relector work is impt....alot of ppl tink refector is juz hold can liao...but the 5-in-1 got 1001 ways to use.... ok la not so many...but it takes a bit of work to get used to it..

Not true lah. Only street shooters post their works lesser these days.

I don't shoot bikini girls not because I don't want to. It's because I can't co-ordinate my eyes and my finger to click.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Go and shoot sunrise and sunset, it's free, and have showtime everyday everywhere.
    sunset & sunrise considered street shooting? ... hmmz in that case that i'm not that bad lah =P ... shoot sunset and sunrise when i have the opportunity .. and nice skies ... shot school events ... wushu performance .. birds ... x-country ... drama production ...

u serious? paiseh for the bluntness but you won't go very far if those are real reasons.

if you are serious about photography you will find time and resources ... and things to shoot. you don't need alot to start photography, you need yourself to be in it.
    ok lah ... not that paiseh lah ... for school events if i'm officially helping to take pics/help cover the event ... then very thickskinned ... dun care .. just shoot ... outside ... abit scared lah ... got lots of weird looks and stares

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    true..

and yes....relector work is impt....alot of ppl tink refector is juz hold can liao...but the 5-in-1 got 1001 ways to use.... ok la not so many...but it takes a bit of work to get used to it..
    yes ... i just got a reflector from the states ... 5-in-1 ... should be arriving soon ... got 1001 ways to use ... need help leh =/ ... anyone here can point me to any resources?

I duno abt the rest..but i start off with macro photography

now dslr become my point and shoot camera..keke

street shooting best done alone ... portraiture different? seems about the same most of the time as far as the postings are concerned
    agreed. or at most 2 persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeckson Chow
    Well, I started with scenery shooting and go into different types of shoots. I'll be interested in all types of shoot because I am learning. Yes, I do agree that the blooming of model shoots are apparent now in ClubSnap but I am not limiting myself to just shoot models. And also, one will notice that the models are always girls. How about male models? Nobody interested? It is the skill and art we are learning and not to be with a pretty lady right?

I am sure most of us will think this way too. I'll be very happy if there is an outing shoot and I'll join in whenever I can.
    Agree there shld be male models shots...

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat
    Agree there shld be male models shots...
    there have been lah ... look around the portraiture section ... got .. only the female model shoots posted outnumber the male by 10+ : 1

As this is the question:-
    Which is more useful for learning photography???

I would say it depends on wether you have a particular style in mind to start with.

If not, "you are simply interested in photography reguardless", then what ever situation you can get into is good.

Personally my present interest is in IR photography. But macro is something I would like to try well.
    Also portrait photography is of interest to me.

As such, I look for any situation that can provide experiment and learning.

Action photography (panning for example) also is something I would like to learn.
    Therefore I will take my camera etc to the next car race I have a chance to.

So I think the question,"Which is more useful for learning photography??? " is quite an open one.

I actually learn quite a lot from reading posts here thanks to you guys.
    Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast