Thread: Qn about dslr viewfinder

Default Qn about dslr viewfinder

Hi, when I look into the viewfinder before I shoot, am I seeing everything "clearly"? (i.e. no different depth of view).. Then, what is the dof preview button for? When I press it, am i supposed to see the image that I would be capturing?

if i am not wrong, the dof preview button, kinda "allows" u to see the image's dof before you press the shutter, but what it does is sort of makes things darker... so its not really easy to see the difference unless u have a really sharp eye...

Quote Originally Posted by ~Arcanic~
    if i am not wrong, the dof preview button, kinda "allows" u to see the image's dof before you press the shutter, but what it does is sort of makes things darker... so its not really easy to see the difference unless u have a really sharp eye...
    you are not wrong

Quote Originally Posted by ~Arcanic~
    Hi asturias,

Do note that 'makes things darker' is provided the lens is not at the max aperture. Obviously when shooting the lens wide open, the VF won't darken when the DoF button is pressed.

Sounds logical?

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    Hi asturias,

Do note that 'makes things darker' is provided the lens is not at the max aperture. Obviously when shooting the lens wide open, the VF won't darken when the DoF button is pressed.

Sounds logical?
    Correct.

For modern SLR/DSLR, before releasing the shutter, the aperture is wide open, providing you with a bright image, but dof will not be the same as the shot (assuming your aperture setting is not wide open in the first place). What the DOF preview button does is to stop down the aperture to what aperture the shot will be taken at. This darkens the image but give you a better gauge of the DOF of the resultant shot. Personally, I think that it's quite obvious if you know what you are looking at, it's difficult to see only because the viewfinder gets darker. Just try if you can, use a long lens, focus on something really near/far, set aperture to say f11/f22, hit the DOF preview, and check the the area that is out of focus, you ought to see it sharper when you hit the DOF button.