Thread: [Tumblr] Who Pays Photographers?

Default [Tumblr] Who Pays Photographers?

Who Pays Photographers?

A space to list how much -- and how little -- magazines, newspapers and websites pay photographers. Editorial, commercial, advertising, entertainment -- any and all presented. Listing based on anonymous submissions. This is intended as an exercise in sharing, rather than shaming -- but feel free to warn your fellow photogs about deadbeats.

No doubt, there will be conflicting reports. Outlets play favorites and situations vary. Still, the more data points, the fuller the picture for everyone. If you have a differing account of a particular client, feel free to add your info.
    via: Website Uses Anonymous Submissions to Share How Much Photogs Get Paid

Default Re: [Tumblr] Who Pays Photographers?

Lately I've found out even the established companies are not paying decently to photographers.

I went to a fashion products importer sometime ago. The manager showed a huge warehouse of rows and rows of male and female clothings. She told me there were more in the other part of building. The offer is $20 an hour and you have to bring your own studio strobes to shoot those clothings on mannequines. The output target is 100 clothings a day. She didn't say anything about Photoshop yet.

I was extremely happy not to hear from her because it is easier to say yes than thinking of a good excuse to say no to a potential client.

More than once I read an ad from fashion house hiring photographer for full-day outdoor fashion shots. It specifies it wants student photographer. Work that out why.

There was another real estate ad looking for a photographer to shoot two properties in CBD. It said the job was suitable for someone who is learning about photography. Are you joking? Anyone who has tried shooting interior knows the technical problems involved. Ther best part is the combined worth of the two properties is about Aus $1.5 million. The owner is not prepared to part with more than $100 for the photos.

A young French/Chinese female photographer I met was shooting for 5 months full-time in a big model agency in Sydney. They paid her next to nothing. It took her that long to walk out.
    Last edited by Sion; 12th March 2013 at 10:30 AM.

Thank you for sharing the information. Educational material.

I wonder about the accuracy of such info, coz a US contact of mine shooting for AP and Getty actually gets paid a lot higher. Maybe fame and experience plays a part or it could be her rates were kept and preserved from earlier times - before video killed the radio star. Even then the listed rates on that site makes no financial sense in a major US city, taking into consideration 30% goes taxation, time and travel - US cities are big.

Yeah. That question was also raised when I suggested allowing anonymous submissions for one of the CS pricelists. Ha.

Maybe you can ask your US contact to contribute? Definitely a 'pinch of salt' material, but does have the potential to be 'self-correcting' (as the person behind the site hopes) and give a good enough ballpark range if enough in the industry know about it and are willing to contribute (the anonymity helps).

PDN: What inspired you to start the site? Was it just a natural reaction to seeing Manjula Martin’s Who Pays Writers, or was there more to it?

WPP: The site was a simple reaction to Who Pays Writers, a site that was linked to a number of times during the recent Nate Thayer kerfuffle with the Atlantic. It seemed obvious that the photo industry could really benefit from having such a resource and I found it surprising that nothing of the sort existed.

PDN: Why the anonymity? Martin divulges her identity.

WPP: I’m maintaining anonymity because I’d like the site to simply be a reflecting board. Manjula Martin does a lot more editing and curating of opinions, alongside the rate quotes, so the site is (relatively) more about her. I’d be interested in moving in this direction possibly, but for now, handling the huge influx of submissions is already fairly time-consuming.

PDN: How have you promoted it?

WPP: The response has been a little overwhelming. For Monday alone, the site has had 15 thousand unique visits. Submissions come from surprising corners of the world (e.g. $26/day is the going rate for one Polish newspaper); on average, I receive three-to-six an hour depending on the time of day. I originally shared the site on Facebook with some fellow photographers; interest has snowballed via Reddit, Twitter, etc.

PDN: What are your goals for the site? How do you confirm the veracity of people’s submissions?

WPP: I hope the site will be a resource for new and established photographers. At times, I’ve found photographers can be quite secretive when it comes to talking about actual rates. As almost everything is anonymous, I have no way of confirming the quality of submissions; the data is public on the site and I hope that viewers who care to correct the record will simply submit their info on their experience. E.g. 4 reports on working for Le Monde will provide a fuller picture and possibly also, reveal which data point is inaccurate. For sure, this may lead to false info occasionally, but ideally, the info will be self-correcting.

via: Who Pays Photographers? | Who Pays Photogs interviewed

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Yeah. That question was also raised when I suggested allowing anonymous submissions for one of the CS pricelists. Ha.

Maybe you can ask your US contact to contribute? Definitely a 'pinch of salt' material, but does have the potential to be 'self-correcting' (as the person behind the site hopes) and give a good enough ballpark range if enough in the industry know about it and are willing to contribute (the anonymity helps).
    It will get a huge variation of price range for a given type of work. Different people charge differently to suit their own circumstances.

In terms of charge, the best way is to gauge how much you will need to maintain your lifestyle and grow it from there... charge as much as your work can be sold really. This is a principle that I live with. It really doesn't matter how much you think you worth... it is about how much you can sell your work for. Sounds terrible from Artist perspective... but it is darn true in business world.

Art and business doesn't really mix... oh well...

Hart

Getty has a variable scale, it depends on who, where and who else is available. Example A operates in that region he charges X, A has a good track record of deliverables, B is a whole lot better more classy but he operates far far away to send B to where A operates would incur travel & other costs so now B cost 6X.

Rates have been sliding down to point it is below covering all expenses. It has been that way for a while. You can choose not to shoot - you then have no income to eat from or you could hold out for jobs that cover eating, pension, operational expenses and profit. No brainer choice if you have limit sources of income. Unless there is a industry wide embargo on low ball rates, ie no pro will take on below this amount, then job owners have no choice but to pay more. HK was the only asian market where their pro's did this and that help to create a hard bottom on prices but that was then not sure if it is still the same. All you need is a pool of young, silly, desperate to shoot for some pay new players to kill a market.

US I believe works on my style get it from me and no where else which can be some times more a market gimmick simply because the stye can be duplicated. It is seldom at top of the heap that there is a lot of low prices offered, it is more of a middle and bottom market issue.
    The newbies bless their trigger fingers do not understand that we are trying to educate them so they will not kill the whole industry, they just see us a walking libraries. Reach out and take/ask/badger for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    I wonder about the accuracy of such info, coz a US contact of mine shooting for AP and Getty actually gets paid a lot higher. Maybe fame and experience plays a part or it could be her rates were kept and preserved from earlier times - before video killed the radio star. Even then the listed rates on that site makes no financial sense in a major US city, taking into consideration 30% goes taxation, time and travel - US cities are big.