Thread: A question for Tripod

Default A question for Tripod

Hi,

Hope to hear your advise for the below scenario.

I require a Tripod that is stable for me to rotate 360 degree around (y-axis) and able to adjust the angle for vertical (x-axis).

I tried conventional cheaper ones, but I have a problem that when I rotate the camera in the x-axis, the base sometimes moves along making my shots inaccurate.

What I am seeking is something like a conventional nikon or canon tripod that can adjust on 2 axis but with more "smooth" rotation on the x-axis and some stability on the base.

Please do advise.

Default Re: A question for Tripod

So just buy a better tripod. You can refer to the 500+ previous "recommend me a tripod" threads
    Alpha

Ballhead with pan. Quite common ah.
    hi

Besides some internet research, why not go down to the shops and see/feel the actual stuff you are looking for? You'll have a better sense of how much it would cost you too.

Quote Originally Posted by ori0n View Post
    Hi,

Hope to hear your advise for the below scenario.

I require a Tripod that is stable for me to rotate 360 degree around (y-axis) and able to adjust the angle for vertical (x-axis).

I tried conventional cheaper ones, but I have a problem that when I rotate the camera in the x-axis, the base sometimes moves along making my shots inaccurate.

What I am seeking is something like a conventional nikon or canon tripod that can adjust on 2 axis but with more "smooth" rotation on the x-axis and some stability on the base.

Please do advise.
    I think you are talking about the tripod head not the tripod.

It is not clear what you are using but it sounds like a panballhead. Yes, the cheaper ones have a relatively iffy pan-lock. I haven't used more expensive ones but it's alright imho. You can lock it tightly and it should resist some amount of pressure without moving.

you should not looking for a tripod head, you should looking for a Pano head set up and a leveller, base on what I read from your standard shot thread.

FYI, just the Pano head set up and a leveller will cost about nearly $1K. can try Panoramas - Products - Sunwayphoto-a superior photography accessories manufacturer in Shenzhen China
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

An alternative is to just get a levelling base and a panballhead. I use that in lieu of a full-fledged pano setup which is too unwieldy for travel imho. It will only work for single row panorama though, and cannot stitch properly if the objects are too close (IIRC closer than 1.2 metres or so).

Levelling base very hard to get in Singapore I recall. At least 1 or 2 years ago, all the stores only carried an expensive Gitzo levelling base.. I use a Manfrotto 438: Manfrotto 438 Compact Leveling Head - Ball Camera Leveler - 438

The Sunwayfoto looks comparable with greater compactness.

Btw, uncle catchlights - where is a good place to buy Sunwayphoto product from? Their DYH-66i looks good, maybe I should invest it in and give Van the 438 so that we don't have to share.

You can consider getting a leveling base and a pano head from Really Right Stuff. Was contemplating on that for a while.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    An alternative is to just get a levelling base and a panballhead. I use that in lieu of a full-fledged pano setup which is too unwieldy for travel imho. It will only work for single row panorama though, and cannot stitch properly if the objects are too close (IIRC closer than 1.2 metres or so).

Levelling base very hard to get in Singapore I recall. At least 1 or 2 years ago, all the stores only carried an expensive Gitzo levelling base.. I use a Manfrotto 438: Manfrotto 438 Compact Leveling Head - Ball Camera Leveler - 438

The Sunwayfoto looks comparable with greater compactness.

Btw, uncle catchlights - where is a good place to buy Sunwayphoto product from? Their DYH-66i looks good, maybe I should invest it in and give Van the 438 so that we don't have to share.
    TK foto carry only "some" Sunwayphoto products, I'm not sure about Orient Photo.

if you want pano set up, best is buy online.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    TK foto carry only "some" Sunwayphoto products, I'm not sure about Orient Photo.

if you want pano set up, best is buy online.
    Ok, will check it out with these 2 shops then. Thanks.

Came across the gigapan epic pro tripod head in Orient Photo FB site. Excellent way of getting great panorama photos... and I suspect was highly accurate too... plus the price is pretty alright (S$1k++)

GigaPan announces Epic Pro motorized panorama head: Digital Photography Review
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    plus the price is pretty alright (S$1k++)

It is 3 kg with battery.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post

It is 3 kg with battery.
    3kg is okay lah
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Came across the gigapan epic pro tripod head in Orient Photo FB site. Excellent way of getting great panorama photos... and I suspect was highly accurate too... plus the price is pretty alright (S$1k++)

GigaPan announces Epic Pro motorized panorama head: Digital Photography Review
    Once you get a gigapan... what's the joy of photography?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Once you get a gigapan... what's the joy of photography?
    Well... all I can say is... u and I have very different understanding on joy of photography.
    My lousy shots

Depends on a lot of things

1. Budget for the tripod... Can go from 40 SGD to maybe 1k+ SGD
    2. Weight factor. Do you want a heavy stable tripod or light but sturdy tripod for travel
    3. Tripod head. If you go for a better tripod the head and tripod should come as separate units. For your needs a a basic Pan and tilt might be an option. Also do you want a tripod for video or photo ? If for video a fluid head would be more advisable.

To give you a better idea, I have a Benro A2970F which is a Aluminium tripod which is around 2.1kg for tripod itself and 2.5kg with a ball head. The tripod has a fluid pan control and goes upto 5 feet 8 inch in height which is quite high for me... Its a 3 section and really sturdy and serves me well... Its not light and can be quite taxing lugging it around but it serves my purpose....

Paid around 180 for tripod with a ballhead

If you want light sturdy carbon fiber ones expect to pay around 350+ for a tripod
    Last edited by ronniegogs; 12th March 2013 at 03:06 PM.

Got it!!