Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is tripod too long to handcarry into airplanes?

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post

Ah, I think I remembered reading somewhere here that Taiwan airport (specifically Taipei at least) doesn't allow tripods on hand-carry.
    Yup at least the Taipei airport specifically require photography tripods to be checked in, the notice was displayed at almost every check in counters when I was there last year.

Been to many European countries by hand carrying tripods on board without any issues, there was only one instance where the security officer (Italy airport iirc) insisted that we need to check in tripods, so we rushed back to the check in counter to check in our tripods (naked), luckily it came out intact. :P

So ya.. better check in if you can..

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is tripod too long to handcarry into airplanes?

Quote Originally Posted by miaoteh View Post
    Yup at least the Taipei airport specifically require photography tripods to be checked in, the notice was displayed at almost every check in counters when I was there last year.

Been to many European countries by hand carrying tripods on board without any issues, there was only one instance where the security officer (Italy airport iirc) insisted that we need to check in tripods, so we rushed back to the check in counter to check in our tripods (naked), luckily it came out intact. :P

Same for Ho Chi Minh Airport. Tripod required to be checked in.

Quote Originally Posted by miaoteh View Post

Not just taoyuan international airport... Their domestic airports also require tripods to be checked in..

Don't end up wasting time and effort buy this buy that, try this try that, worry this worry that. Make life simple.

Do it once, do it good. Just put ur tripod in a padded tripod bag and put in ur luggage, check in. Period. You can never go wrong.

Been to Tokyo with Cathay, Thai and Delta with tripod (Fancier 662A), about 50+cm folded in field pack side pocket, with no problems. Carry-on of course. (I hate waiting for luggage)
    You might want to pack head separately since it looks quite bulky.
    Last edited by Baracus; 14th March 2013 at 09:08 PM.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

If you travel quite a bit, the tripod "headache" to carry on board or check-in will be a recurring issue.
    Once and for all, why not just buy a tripod that fit the most frequntly used check-in travel bag.
    I have a benro A350EX in a soft case (dont have the original tripod bag)that fit my 20" travel bag with the head removed.

I upsized my backpack to 68L just to fit in my tripod and tripod bag.
    Enough capacity for 2 weeks trip.
    Tripod within padded tripod bag inside backpack with clothes and stuff as additional padding, all secured together inside airport pack cover bag when check-in.

thanks everyone for the advise. (:

My tripod will always be in my check-in luggage. The thought of hand-carrying it has never come across my mind even if I am allowed to do so.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    My tripod will always be in my check-in luggage. The thought of hand-carrying it has never come across my mind even if I am allowed to do so.
    Same here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12