Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Waiting for Nothing

  1. #1

    Default Waiting for Nothing

    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Technical - Exposure, WB, settings
    Composition - The story, What other angles could I have explored to bring my story across?
    Post -processing - What can do to make it better?

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    This elderly man was quite out of place at Clarke Quay. And he kept sitting there and looking in random directions.
    I wanted to capture a moment when he was just staring off at the distance oblivious to everything around him, seemingly lost in thought.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    -Late afternoon @ Clarke Quay
    -Soft ambient Light
    -I was trying to capture the contemplative and purposeless waiting.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    -I like it. I like that this shot manages to convey a little of what I wanted it to.
    -I just think it looks like a rich situation where a more experienced photographer could frame it/take the shot better.
    -If I had moved toward the railing and take a shot from along the railing, I could have captured the old man staring at the underpass that is located there. But I thought it would be too distracting.


    IMG_1771 by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,309

    Default Re: Waiting for Nothing

    Your 'story' is your interpretation of the fact "a man is sitting, looking in a certain direction". Therefore, it is very subjective and difficult to discuss. Also, I find it strange that the man is 'out of place'. You might emphasize on the contrast between him and the current state of the area. Walk across the bridge and check how Clarke Quay looked 30 years ago: it might have been his workplace for 30 years, where is family had a trading business for many generations. But for all this, the context is missing in the picture. A viewer cannot see that this is Clarke Quay.
    Putting these interpretations aside, there's something missing here: what / where is the old man looking at? And why are his feet chopped off?
    EOS

  3. #3
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    No leh i think he waiting for boat.

  4. #4

    Default

    Nitewalk>>. Haha. Yeah. You are probably right. He's waiting for the next boat.

    Octarine>> I get what you mean about the photo lacking a point of reference to convey the particular story that I wish to tell.

    On hindsight, I could have taken a portrait shot that includes the MBS in the background. That would probably add a little more detail to the story and give it context. Thanks Octarine.

    Additionally, the part on chopping his legs off, that's my bad. Poor technique. Hehe. Was too engrossed in capturing the shot that I missed out on his feet.

    Question: im using a canon 650d with 50mm 1.8 II. will the viewfinder actually show more that what is captured? Cos I cant remember if I included his feet in the framing of the shot or if I should be moving back further to give allowance.

  5. #5
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Don't really like the white box in the background... Don't like that you cut off his feet... The flowers in the background are distracting..

    Also can't tell how he feels because I cannot see his face, and his body language is not obvious enough..

    Perhaps you can try a black and white conversion and a square crop because I can see a lot of potential in this picture and it will show if you keep taking more pictures.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  6. #6

    Default

    Bonrya>>. Thank you Bonrya for the positive criticism. I appreciate it. Yeah, I too agree in the hands of a more experienced photographer, the scene could have been captured better.

    Truly, you pointed out several things that I didn't notice, myself. The distraction from the flowers and more so, the metallic box that breaks the uniformity of the rails. The picture could certainly do without it.

    Yeah, Octarine did point out the chopped off feet. And I certainly do regret not moving back to capture the scene better.

    Thank you so much.

    Cheers.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Waiting for Nothing

    A tighter crop with a Black and White conversion and bit of sharpening might give the image more impact in my opinion...

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,309

    Default Re: Waiting for Nothing

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Question: im using a canon 650d with 50mm 1.8 II. will the viewfinder actually show more that what is captured? Cos I cant remember if I included his feet in the framing of the shot or if I should be moving back further to give allowance.
    Viewfinder coverage of 650D is 95%, which means you see only 95% of the actual frame in VF. In other words, in VF the feet were chopped off more than in your uncropped picture.
    Simple basic rule: shoot wider than you need. Cropping later is easy and 18 megapixels give enough room for that.
    EOS

  9. #9

    Default

    Ronniegogs>>. Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like the popular sentiment is to crop it tighter and to make it BnW. I'll give that a shot and post it here for your comments.

    Octarine>> Thank you for the Clarification! I shall keep that in mind when shooting from now. I will consciously try not to unceremoniously dismember people. Haha. Yeah. It's a waste that the uncle's legs weren't captured.

  10. #10
    Member eggie87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seletar Hills Estate, Singapor
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Technical - Exposure, WB, settings
    Composition - The story, What other angles could I have explored to bring my story across?
    Post -processing - What can do to make it better?

    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    This elderly man was quite out of place at Clarke Quay. And he kept sitting there and looking in random directions.
    I wanted to capture a moment when he was just staring off at the distance oblivious to everything around him, seemingly lost in thought.

    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    -Late afternoon @ Clarke Quay
    -Soft ambient Light
    -I was trying to capture the contemplative and purposeless waiting.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    -I like it. I like that this shot manages to convey a little of what I wanted it to.
    -I just think it looks like a rich situation where a more experienced photographer could frame it/take the shot better.
    -If I had moved toward the railing and take a shot from along the railing, I could have captured the old man staring at the underpass that is located there. But I thought it would be too distracting.


    IMG_1771 by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr
    Should have gone down low..to his height level.. and go about 3m more Infront...So the back ground flowers are gone. N u get more details on him..if u wait abit more he might lean his hand on his chin..and that would make it more interesting...

  11. #11

    Default Re: Waiting for Nothing

    Hi NormanSelvaraju:

    Nice job! I'm also a Newbie in shooting and here is just some ideas I wish to share.
    1. For exposure, I think you have done it proper on your main target: the old man. However, as it only take less than 1/5 to in your photo, and most of the other parts is a little bit over exposure, this make the whole picture somehow too bright.
    To deal with this, you may try to give a flash light assisting on your main target, or change your whole picture into B&W.

    2. As you take a figure viewed from behind, the eyes are not included, and it make the emotion harder to observe. But it might also be a good way to express the feel of lonely. In this way, it might be better if you use a wider lens, make the whole scene feels more "empty".

    Hope them helpful.

  12. #12

    Default

    Eggie87>>>. Thank you so much for reminding me bout exploring the change of perspective! I must keep that in mind.

  13. #13

    Default

    Robinlxz>>> hi! Thanks for stopping by with your comments and advice. The part on adjusting the exposure to suit the majority of the scene instead of a just the subject is certainly something to explore. I must air that it never occurred to me, even though it certainly makes a lot of sense!

    Btw, would that be settled by choosing evaluative metering?

    As for Your second suggestion, it seems that many think that making it a BnW shot would make it better! I am certainly gonna try editing it this weekend. Shall put it up once I get it done.

    Wide angled lens?
    Hehe. Am thinking of getting one.
    I just posted a thread requesting advice on my next lens. Thanks for validating my need. Haha.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Waiting for Nothing

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Robinlxz>>> hi! Thanks for stopping by with your comments and advice. The part on adjusting the exposure to suit the majority of the scene instead of a just the subject is certainly something to explore. I must air that it never occurred to me, even though it certainly makes a lot of sense!

    Btw, would that be settled by choosing evaluative metering?

    As for Your second suggestion, it seems that many think that making it a BnW shot would make it better! I am certainly gonna try editing it this weekend. Shall put it up once I get it done.

    Wide angled lens?
    Hehe. Am thinking of getting one.
    I just posted a thread requesting advice on my next lens. Thanks for validating my need. Haha.
    Hi, I personally prefer spot metering.
    About lens, I think it highly dependent on your favor in shooting. You like natural scene then wide angle is useful. A 50mm for portrait, or long focus lens for animal. Just consdier about it carefully before you made decision, and there are so many articals teaching us how to choose.
    One more thing, you may use the reply button to write a new reply so that people will have a notification for it

  15. #15

    Default

    Robinlxz>> ah. Spot metering. I still haven't gotten used to identifying the appropriate metering. Still reading up on it. I guess diff situations can call for diff metering (according to one book Chasing the light). Still learning! So I've kept it on evaluative metering.

    I'm still pouring thru the data and mtf charts for the 3 lenses I've narrowed it down to. I've posted the details in the thread under sigma / Tamron. shall also post the summary of my findings once it's done for e benefit of future users.

    As for "hit reply" I usually reply via iPhone. Dunno if that causes a difference.just like how I'm doing so now. I take it from your response That you dont get notified when I post a reply?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Waiting for Nothing

    Based on: "2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    This elderly man was quite out of place at Clarke Quay. And he kept sitting there and looking in random directions.
    I wanted to capture a moment when he was just staring off at the distance oblivious to everything around him, seemingly lost in thought."


    I think you can move nearer to the river and more to the right, switch to a zoom lens and capture him with further down the underpass / path as the background. Then can really show the story of him starting off at THE DISTANCE.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  17. #17

    Default

    Andy Ang>>> Ah... Yea. Using the underpass this way would make a lot of sense. I was initially reluctant to include the underpass cos I thought it would be too distracting. But now that you mention it. It would be a great way to go about it. Thanks!

  18. #18
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,309

    Default Re: Waiting for Nothing

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Andy Ang>>> Ah... Yea. Using the underpass this way would make a lot of sense. I was initially reluctant to include the underpass cos I thought it would be too distracting. But now that you mention it. It would be a great way to go about it. Thanks!
    Walk around your subject and take multiple shots. This way you can learn from your pictures about what works and what does not.
    EOS

  19. #19

    Default

    Octarine>>> thank you for the suggestion. I must try to remember that. Now that you mention it, it would certainly help with learning how to frame.

    Right now, I'm still a little shy about being caught by the subject. So it's just a couple of snaps from the angle I first see the said subject. Haha. But yeah, I shall work past that and explore more.

    Thanks again Octarine!

  20. #20
    Member eggie87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seletar Hills Estate, Singapor
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Octarine>>> thank you for the suggestion. I must try to remember that. Now that you mention it, it would certainly help with learning how to frame.

    Right now, I'm still a little shy about being caught by the subject. So it's just a couple of snaps from the angle I first see the said subject. Haha. But yeah, I shall work past that and explore more.

    Thanks again Octarine!
    Just becareful of who u take..some Get a little peeved when people take candid shots of them..if they notice..smile at them n if u want.. u can approach them n show them ur shots......no harm..and its always good to know the photographers rights..u can search it right n carry a copy of it in case someone stops u..=)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •