Thread: Fixed and Zoom Lens?

Default Fixed and Zoom Lens?

Hi, I'd like to ask why would a photographer want to use a fixed 35mm lens and not just use a 28-85mm zoom lens since 35mm is covered within the zoom lens? Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Norest
    Hi, I'd like to ask why would a photographer want to use a fixed 35mm lens and not just use a 28-85mm zoom lens since 35mm is covered within the zoom lens? Thanks for the help!
    Maybe u might want to read this

http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/photo...ml#zoomvsprime
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Hi DarkForce
    Thanks alot!

It's quality... quality, quality...& quality. Hope this is short enough.

Fixed lens (prime lens) are cheaper, smaller, lighter, bigger aperture, more contrasty.

Thanks for all the replies. I understand that I have to train myself to SEE so I'll be getting a prime lens. The problem now is, should I get a 35mm or a 50mm prime lens? I'm interested in street shots, like cobbler working on shoes, people in market and etc. Can recommend me which lens to buy? If I get a 35mm lens, would I get distortion if I shoot people close ups? Thanks for the replies, appreciate every piece of advice.

Smile

If you are using a film camera, a 50mm fixed is your eyes angle. Ok for street shot.
    But if you are using a digital camera with the crop facter, is better to get the 28mm fixed convert become about 50mm.

28mm fixed is more expensive...

When you shot close up, the quality is about the asme when you shot from far...

Shot more...learn more...
    TO SEE, TO FEEL, TO PHOTOGRAPH.

Hi Goldenstar
    I'm using a Nikon FM2
    When you say the quality for close up is the same as from afar, do you mean the 35mm lens? I was reading some photography books that there would be some distortion so I'm undecided. I'll probably go for the 50mm since its closest to what my eyes see.....right?

Thanks

I suggest the 50mm for u. The view angle is about the same as your eyes. You will learn how to compose and tilt while you shoot. Need to walk a bit more, to and fro to frame your photo.

Smile

Thanks for all the replies. I understand that I have to train myself to SEE so I'll be getting a prime lens. The problem now is, should I get a 35mm or a 50mm prime lens? I'm interested in street shots, like cobbler working on shoes, people in market and etc. Can recommend me which lens to buy? If I get a 35mm lens, would I get distortion if I shoot people close ups? Thanks for the replies, appreciate every piece of advice.
    Which lens to get is totally up to you. Take note of which focal length you most frequently shoot with, that's probably the prime lens you'll often use too. 35mm definitely has more distortion than 50mm and not usually used for people close-ups.

OK, throwing back the question to you, why should a photographer want to use a 28-85 instead of 35mm? It is basically all needs and requirement. If you need the 35mm only just get that, or if you need the range of the 28-85 then get that, simple as that. Each lens has its purposes and uses, it is up to you to use it to your way. People may say "get that 50mm", "get that 100mm" or "get that 28-70mm" etc etc. But if you are not comfortable also no use.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Fixed lens (prime lens) are cheaper, smaller, lighter, bigger aperture, more contrasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hwang
    i swear by prime lenses!!! but when my legs get tired, my composition suffers...

On my recent trip, I decided to travel light and brought only my 50mm. It was neglected after I got my zoom. But I managed to take superb (to my standard) shots! It was refreshing again to work within limitations yet liberating to my imagination.

the satisfaction is there when you have to think so hard to frame a shot.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus jACK
    i swear by prime lenses!!! but when my legs get tired, my composition suffers...
    You can sit down and ask the model to move lah

Quote Originally Posted by 2hwang
    yap, you have to blow your picture more than 8R then you can see the difference between a fixed and zoom lens. It wouldn't made a huge different if your end result is a computer image that is posted on the internet at 640 X 480.

Quote Originally Posted by zonoyono
    yap, you have to blow your picture more than 8R then you can see the difference between a fixed and zoom lens. It wouldn't made a huge different if your end result is a computer image that is posted on the internet at 640 X 480.
    IMHO,
    480x640, maybe no diff,
    but 4R, to my clients' eyes,
    lots better.

just imagine,
    a $140 50mm f1.8 giving
    the $2300 24-70 f2.8 a run for its money.

start with prime to learn.
    shoot with zoom for events where
    u hardly hv control of situations.