Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: DSLR alike Compact Camera

  1. #1

    Default DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Hi, is there any compact or prosumer camera that is almost like a DSLR?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flub26 View Post
    Hi, is there any compact or prosumer camera that is almost like a DSLR?
    Closest would be Sony rx1, rx100, Canon g1x or the upcoming Nikon coolpix A.

    If you want to be able to change lenses then you're looking at mirrorless like NEX or m4/3.

    Or are you only referring to the looks? "Like a dslr" in what aspect?
    Last edited by Rashkae; 7th March 2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by flub26 View Post
    Hi, is there any compact or prosumer camera that is almost like a DSLR?
    In what aspect?

    1) Sensor size (bigger than normal compact camera and the same size or slightly smaller than DSLR APS-C sensor) - Sony RX100, Canon G1X, Fujifilm X100
    2) Sensor size (bigger than APS-C sensor DSLR) - Sony RX1
    3) Handling and ergonomic - all the bridge camera (or superzoom) such as Panasonic FZ series of camera, Canon's SX and SH series of camera, as well as fujifilm and Olympus handling.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  4. #4

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Here I will asume TS is talking about image size, IQ, performance, etc. If a compact camera literally 'looks' like DSLR, it's no longer compact.
    D200

  5. #5
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    Here I will asume TS is talking about image size, IQ, performance, etc. If a compact camera literally 'looks' like DSLR, it's no longer compact.
    Well... TS did mentioned compact OR prosumer, so it doesn't necessary mean compact only.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  6. #6

    Default

    Oops, forgot to be specific..
    I mean alike as in he camera function. Would prefer to have wide angle and longer zoom. Any that can take macro?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flub26 View Post
    Oops, forgot to be specific..
    I mean alike as in he camera function. Would prefer to have wide angle and longer zoom. Any that can take macro?
    Basically almost all of them. There are hundreds that meet your vague criteria. Go to some of the Mega stores, play with some cameras, shortlist some. Then go read reviews and buy the one you like best.
    Alpha

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flub26 View Post
    Oops, forgot to be specific..
    I mean alike as in he camera function. Would prefer to have wide angle and longer zoom. Any that can take macro?
    Bridge cameras like canon sx50 lor...

    Wide angle
    Long zoom
    DSLR-like controls.

    The only thing is it's a fixed lens and small sensor.
    hi

  9. #9
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by flub26 View Post
    Hi, is there any compact or prosumer camera that is almost like a DSLR?
    Panasonic FZx0 series.

    I have the Panasonic FZ50 that behaves exactly like a DSLR. Only thing you cannot change the lens.
    35-420mm f/1.8-3.7 lens with 1.8" sensor Zoom and focus done on the lens body itself Can fit 55mm filter

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Review: Digital Photography Review

  10. #10
    Member iluvs90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    890

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Panasonic FZx0 series.

    I have the Panasonic FZ50 that behaves exactly like a DSLR. Only thing you cannot change the lens.
    35-420mm f/1.8-3.7 lens with 1.8" sensor Zoom and focus done on the lens body itself Can fit 55mm filter

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Review: Digital Photography Review
    Actually it's 1/1.8" sensor so for comparison here's the visual:

  11. #11
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by iluvs90 View Post
    Actually it's 1/1.8" sensor so for comparison here's the visual:
    We're not discussing DSLR... and of sensors size found in DSLRs
    The question posted by TS was of compact that behaves like a DSLR, and for compact, 1.8" is a large sensor as shown in your visual

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post

    We're not discussing DSLR... and of sensors size found in DSLRs
    The question posted by TS was of compact that behaves like a DSLR, and for compact, 1.8" is a large sensor as shown in your visual
    1.8" is a large sensor, if any, but your pany is only 1/1.8" sensor.
    hi

  13. #13

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    To me the closest in terms of handling would be Fujifilm XS-1. Especially in the handling of the zoom lens. It operates through zoom ring just like a zoom lens for dslr instead of using the power motor zoom in SX50HS or Fz200

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Another choice could be the Canon EOS M, if you are not into fast-action photography. An attraction promotion going on now for the M, check out the Canon website.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by incurable View Post
    Another choice could be the Canon EOS M, if you are not into fast-action photography. An attraction promotion going on now for the M, check out the Canon website.
    That's not a "compact camera" that's a mirrorless interchangeable lens Cam. Like that then might as well recommend all the other mirrorless cameras which all have better AF (and in many cases image quality) than the M.
    Alpha

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    That's not a "compact camera" that's a mirrorless interchangeable lens Cam. Like that then might as well recommend all the other mirrorless cameras which all have better AF (and in many cases image quality) than the M.
    it is in fact quite compact with the 22mm lens mounted. just bought the kit and am personally satisfied with both the AF and IQ.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by incurable View Post

    it is in fact quite compact with the 22mm lens mounted. just bought the kit and am personally satisfied with both the AF and IQ.
    TS is looking for a DSLR-like compact camera. From the English alone, one can tell that he's not looking for smth physically compact. But you are recommending the opposite lol.
    hi

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    TS is looking for a DSLR-like compact camera. From the English alone, one can tell that he's not looking for smth physically compact. But you are recommending the opposite lol.
    okee okee, if you say so. just trying to help.
    Last edited by incurable; 13th March 2013 at 02:29 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    Bridge cameras like canon sx50 lor...

    Wide angle
    Long zoom
    DSLR-like controls.

    The only thing is it's a fixed lens and small sensor.

    is SX50 fast focus?
    Newbie in photography.
    OMD EM-5, 12-50mm

  20. #20

    Default Re: DSLR alike Compact Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by steventay View Post
    is SX50 fast focus?
    Review says decent. Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Review: Digital Photography Review
    But you should go to the shops and test on your own.
    hi

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •