Thread: Is There a Need For High Speed SD cards?

Default Is There a Need For High Speed SD cards?

hi,

been pondering abt this.

cams which use SD cards are usually small compacts. so their write speeds aint that fast, which prob doesnt warrant high speed cards?

however, i heard that high speed SD cards like KINGSTON ELITE PRO(~60x) will aid smoother video recording on these compacts. esp for cams with 30fps?

how true is this? and pls correct me if i have any misconceptions abt SDs..thanks!!!

i have a small compact Nikon videocam which records VGA-sized movies at 30fps and there is really a difference between a fast and slow cards. also, the write speeds have improved over the years and now there are models which allow you to shoot continuously in bust mode till the card is full. this required fast cards too.

other than the KINGSTON ELITE PRO, what other high speed SDs r there in the market?

get the transcend 45x SD card... cheap and good... works well with my FZ20 the last time, and there is a noticeable difference in the writing time using a fast card and a normal speed one... you don't have to wait as long for the camera to write on the card, so u can take pictures at a faster rate, which is sometimes quite critical... but it really depends on the camera whether a fast card will help... some cameras write so slow to the card such that a faster card wouldn't affect the speed at all, so u gotta check out the write speed of the camera...

just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by frenchbean; 29th March 2005 at 12:50 AM.