Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: FREE MRT RIDE?

  1. #1

    Default FREE MRT RIDE?

    ...free MRT rides than who pay?

    ........ Tax payer?

  2. #2
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    ...free MRT rides than who pay?

    ........ Tax payer?
    Those who drive lor...

  3. #3

    Default

    ERP take a bit. COE take a bit. ARF take a bit. Summons take a bit. Road tax take a bit. If they siao siao increase public transport fare, can also take a bit.

    In the end, just need to cover running costs only. Sure can one. Don't even need to take for GST and income tax. Haha!

    Nonetheless, strategically, this may be a positive thing, as this is, honestly, another means to channel resources to the lower income groups - you don't think the richer folks will wake up earlier to take a free train ride, do you?
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  4. #4

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    you don't think the richer folks will wake up earlier to take a free train ride, do you?
    YES they would.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2

    YES they would.
    I am not even rich, and I know I won't be waking up any earlier.

    If you think so, well, I don't think I can or need to convince otherwise anyway.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  6. #6

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    I am not even rich, and I know I won't be waking up any earlier.

    If you think so, well, I don't think I can or need to convince otherwise anyway.
    Don't underestimate how penny-pinching some rich folks are.

  7. #7
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2

    YES they would.
    Only SOME will. And by and large when they realise they need to squeeze with others to get that free train ride they might go back to driving their cars.

  8. #8
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    ...free MRT rides than who pay?

    ........ Tax payer?

    Want free medical care... free housing... free MRT/Bus ride... free this, free that... well, $$$$ must come from somewhere...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post

    Want free medical care... free housing... free MRT/Bus ride... free this, free that... well, $$$$ must come from somewhere...
    But then want lower gst, lower coe, lower income tax...
    Alpha

  10. #10

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    our government has other sources of revenue not from taxation of citizens.

    eg, Maritime and Port authority collect taxes in the region of hundreds of millions per year levied on ships entering and exiting our Port...

    also, there is consistently a budget surplus where the State's revenue exceeds expenditures.

    This is evident even on a micro level. Several fruit-related (the yahaya) party constituencies / town councils have to expend their surplus for the sake of expending it, resulting in mindlessly carried out "improvement works" , eg painting 2 completed sets of 5yr-depreciating paint within half a year.

    We have to expand our mindset that we are not limited to purely taxation of the residents / citizens as a source of the State's revenue.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    Dr Janil Puthucheary proposed this.

    He was born in MLY.

    He became a SG citizen in 2008. When he was 35.

    He did not serve NS.

    He could have chosen to become a SG citizen when he was younger and deemed able to serve NS. But he chose not to, at that time.

    His father was a founding member of incumbent party. (under ISA for a while).

    In 2011 after a short invitation to run, he suddenly became your MP. Out of the blue. A person who a short time ago, was a MLY citizen.

    Is SG really so short of talent that we need to have instant MPs from other countries' former citizens?

    There are many others.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 6th March 2013 at 09:43 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    ...free MRT rides than who pay?

    ........ Tax payer?
    When SMRT make profits, tax payer also pay for their bonus.

    SMRT make a lot of money from advertisments.

    Giving free ride during non peak hour is a logical thing to do.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  13. #13

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    our government has other sources of revenue not from taxation of citizens.

    eg, Maritime and Port authority collect taxes in the region of hundreds of millions per year levied on ships entering and exiting our Port...

    also, there is consistently a budget surplus where the State's revenue exceeds expenditures.

    This is evident even on a micro level. Several fruit-related (the yahaya) party constituencies / town councils have to expend their surplus for the sake of expending it, resulting in mindlessly carried out "improvement works" , eg painting 2 completed sets of 5yr-depreciating paint within half a year.

    We have to expand our mindset that we are not limited to purely taxation of the residents / citizens as a source of the State's revenue.
    I heard from friends, who relatives work in government agencies.
    They got lots of money to send staff oversea for "study trips" in Europe, all expenses paid by tax payers.
    It is like free holiday.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  14. #14

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    wait... correct me if i'm wrong.... but isn't SMRT supposed to be Publicly listed? government firms i.e. those maintained by tax payers' monies cannot be listed on the stock exchange.

  15. #15
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    wait... correct me if i'm wrong.... but isn't SMRT supposed to be Publicly listed? government firms i.e. those maintained by tax payers' monies cannot be listed on the stock exchange.
    The government routinely gives companies and SMEs money for this and that.

  16. #16

    Default

    Talk is free . If only SMRT belong to government. If I am The shareholder in SMRT , I will get panicky if my earning is reduce
    Shoot More Learn More

  17. #17
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    One thing I don't really understand with all these privatization of public services such as transport is. Why should we ensure the profit of the investor of a monopolized service?

    This is a win win biz and yet basic standard cannot achieve. Where to find in this world? In my layman opinion, the shareholders profit must be capped. Any anything above that, distribute back. That is, max their return to say 4% including asset appreciation.

  18. #18

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    wait... correct me if i'm wrong.... but isn't SMRT supposed to be Publicly listed? government firms i.e. those maintained by tax payers' monies cannot be listed on the stock exchange.
    sorry the only thing Public about this Public Transport Company is being Publicly listed

    it is in no way anything to do with being government firm

    Worse still its main shareholder, Tumorsick Holdings, persistently requires revenue and profit growth...
    Guess who bears the brunt!

    As for why are monopolistic / oligopolistic companies being "privatised"...one has to look at who the largest shareholder is...and who owns or runs the largest shareholder... hmmm ?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  19. #19

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    sorry the only thing Public about this Public Transport Company is being Publicly listed

    it is in no way anything to do with being government firm

    Worse still its main shareholder, Tumorsick Holdings, persistently requires revenue and profit growth...
    Guess who bears the brunt!

    As for why are monopolistic / oligopolistic companies being "privatised"...one has to look at who the largest shareholder is...and who owns or runs the largest shareholder... hmmm ?
    yup, so for those who say that the tax payers pay directly for their (SMRT's) bonuses, i don't know where they pulled that one from. all operating profits come from them alone.

    and if the PTCs are absorbed back in to government hands, guess who will then be bearing the brunt of the costs for maintenance and upgrading.

  20. #20
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: FREE MRT RIDE?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Dr Janil Puthucheary proposed this.

    He was born in MLY.

    He became a SG citizen in 2008. When he was 35.

    He did not serve NS.

    He could have chosen to become a SG citizen when he was younger and deemed able to serve NS. But he chose not to, at that time.

    His father was a founding member of incumbent party. (under ISA for a while).

    In 2011 after a short invitation to run, he suddenly became your MP. Out of the blue. A person who a short time ago, was a MLY citizen.

    Is SG really so short of talent that we need to have instant MPs from other countries' former citizens?

    There are many others.
    The train of thought here is darting from track to track with nearly every alternate paragraph. Pretty cool. Thanks for the mental gymnastics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •