Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone switched from Windows to Mac?

2.5 years old Dell, P4 2.2 ghz desktop with Radeon 9600XT, Edit, renders videos, plays games, even Doom3 and HL 2.

iBook 14 inch, G4 1.33 ghz, portable, great battery life, relatively fast and snappy compared to a wintel laptop. Photoshop and field work, no prob.

You know, for the PC market, it's starting to get stagnent too, my 2.4 ghz P 4 is still alive after almost 3 years. Recently just formated the OS + apps holding HDD and reinstalled Win XP, and it feels fresh, snappy and new again. 3.2 ghz? Hyper threading? 4/8 GB ram? frankly, do you really need that? Hee, Unless you have a 3K HDTV DV cam from sony, and wanna edit in HD, maybe or else, my old Dell with 640 ram handles DVs without a hitch. Maybe takes a couple of minutes more to render? No prob, I can surf Clubsnap on my mac, or just sleep through the render.

Well, installing mac OS ain't that tough too, just pop in the DVD/CD, hold C to boot from disk, and then the rest is more of a waiting game.

Quote Originally Posted by dshooter
    Hellooo guys,
    Thanks for all the reply.

The main reason I have been thinking to switch to Mac is because of the hanging issue and some unexplainable weird behaviour of my PC, like suddenly doesn't want to boot up.
    I am running P4 2.8GHz 1GB RAM on MSI 875PNEO motherboard.
    It's been slightly more than a year since I bought it.
    Maybe, like one of the suggestions in the post ... I have to reformat and reinstall everything now?

If I have to do this (reformat and reinstall), can someone advise what's the best way to do it?
    Do I need a disk drive to first boot it up prior to the fresh installation?
    I only have CDROM drive, no disk drive.

Thanks for all the help.
    Just remember to dig out all your app's install disc.
    I'll advice that you get a 2nd HDD to store your documents etc, (HDD fails although i've yet to experience one), and you can always reformat and reinstall the OS when it gets cluttered up with god knows wat. Well, I always believe that one can always use a larger HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by obrag
    Do note that Mac OS X currently does not write to (but do read from) NTFS hard drives, and this may have impact on your workflow.
    Well, if the NTFS HDD is on a wintel PC on your network, you can still access and write to it via the network.

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    lastly, u just need the OS ROM, no need for floppy these days. it will boot up from the CDROM & the whole process will be prompted. do remember to set your first bootable device to CDRom in the BIOS first.

SIZE]
    Thanks nightpiper.
    How do I get a CDROM that can boot up?

i guess u need to buy it since u didn't get it from the shop which u purchased ur computer.

use both platform everyday
    prefer pc way over mac....

Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    use both platform everyday
    prefer pc way over mac....
    why ?

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    i guess u need to buy it since u didn't get it from the shop which u purchased ur computer.
    Are you referring to the Windows XP Installation CD ?
    If yes, then I have it. I didn't know it functions as bootable CDROM as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    wai.....

same with me. iBook for field work. haha.....i never switch off my iBook the day it landed on my hand! just close the lid and wah lah.........zzzzzzzzzz!
    Dont put much to sleep especialy when you're on the road most of the time. Bump here and there and your ibook will kamput. It happen to me and I have to replace my logic board which cost $900+. Lucky under waranty. Advisable to get the extended waranty for those who still have few months left. Worth the investment. Expensive experience that I encountered when my PB out of waranty. Im using my 3rd powerbook ever since I started to love MAC. From Powerbook lombard G3 to Titanium G4 to now Alu G4. Mac rules!

using both platform...mac mainly for work & surfing....win for downloading stuff & gaming.....enjoying both...

Will be switching soon. Ordered my PowerBook some time ago.

Using PC for serious work (more software to play around), only use Mac for my photos.

Quote Originally Posted by T16
    Using PC for serious work (more software to play around), only use Mac for my photos.
    oh, you meant more warez eh?

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    oh, you meant more warez eh?
    spywarez
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by rolzink
    Dont put much to sleep especialy when you're on the road most of the time. Bump here and there and your ibook will kamput. It happen to me and I have to replace my logic board which cost $900+. Lucky under waranty. Advisable to get the extended waranty for those who still have few months left. Worth the investment. Expensive experience that I encountered when my PB out of waranty. Im using my 3rd powerbook ever since I started to love MAC. From Powerbook lombard G3 to Titanium G4 to now Alu G4. Mac rules!
    Yes SIR!!!! Time to shut down for the very first time!

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    why ?
    there is nothing the mac can do the pc cannot do. dollar for dollar, processing power. pc beat mac flat. i know because i process thousands of raw files every week.

only using powerbook for its excellent screen when shooting outdoor tethered.

talking about stability, my pc has not hang on me much. anyone saying mac does not hang is bullshit. if you load a pc with many softwares... of course it has a tendency to be unstable. if you treat it as a work and productivity tool... it is very stable as well.

to me the most important pirority is stability, speed, cost.

i rate my powerbook as stability 7/10, speed 6/10, cost 4/10 (COZ TOO EX)
    pc stability 8/10, speed 8/10, cost 9/10

zekai: my advise, continue using PC!

Wonder, which old Mac are you using there, but my "old" Dual 1.8 G5 does abt 1 sec per megapixel on raw processing, and me doing 16-bit editing most of the time.
    Last edited by oeyvind; 30th March 2005 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    zekai: my advise, continue using PC!

i still have to use mac in everyday shoot. but yeah, i still prefer the pc and not because of your advice. i can make up my mind on my own. (dun worry, i know you are saying that tongue in cheek)

Okok,
    I understand that the mac's screen is best.
    But there is no other laptop that has good screen?

Using for shooting outdoors also..

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dshooter
    Hellooo guys,
    Thanks for all the reply.

The main reason I have been thinking to switch to Mac is because of the hanging issue and some unexplainable weird behaviour of my PC, like suddenly doesn't want to boot up.
    I am running P4 2.8GHz 1GB RAM on MSI 875PNEO motherboard.
    It's been slightly more than a year since I bought it.
    Might be a crappy motherboard or other bad components.

IMO, MSI boards are not the most reliable nor the most stable. BTW, I have the same MSI mobo as yours. I gave up on it after just a week - it's been in storage ever since (too embarassed to even give it away).

Switched all the components including 4 sticks of RAM to an Intel original 875 board and never looked back (apart from the Asustek 875 board, the Intel one was the only one that could run 4 sticks of RAM reliably). Next time, use either Asustek or Intel boards. They're the most reliable brands for mission critical applications or long term fuss free use. I have built about 6 PCs in my life (averaging one every two years) and no Asustek board has ever disappointed me. I hear DFI is not too shabby either. Abit and MSI are to be avoided if you're after reliability. Intel boards might not be sexy or full featured but most system builders love them for their reliability.

I have built extremely reliable PCs that have run all day and night without a fuss. The trick is to use reliable (which usually means more costly) components, pay close attention to heat removal, and run everything within specs. My current PC has served me extremely well for over a year with no hardware nor OS problems and I use it every single day averaging 4-6 hours. When I am not using it, it's on most of the time sometimes for 3-4 days straight. Previous other ones have never ever been unreliable except for when poor quality components were used (e.g., weak power supplies).

Macs can be unreliable too ;-) A good friend of mine has had assorted various hardware troubles with her iMac and iBook necessitating factory repairs (not her fault, just bad manufacturing). Lotsa folks have had bad screens or bad motherboard issues with various models of their Powerbooks in the past. It's also a fallacy that every version of the Mac OS is trouble free.

Windows has come a long way since the crappy Win98/ME days. XP is really pretty stable for the typical user, as long as you're not a computer dummy and load it full of crap or run bloated apps (e.g., Symantec multipurpose packages) which often do no good for speed nor system reliability.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast