Thread: Problem Transferring Website to another Hosting Provider

Angry Problem Transferring Website to another Hosting Provider

Hi All,

Recently I've decided to using another hosting provider for my website. After I have paid for the new hosting provider, I asked to transfer my website to it. The new hosting provider requires backup to be enabled by the old hosting provider for them to transfer the site. I contacted the old hosting provider to enable backup option but they refused, stating "All the settings and configurations for our shared-hosting plan are by default and are fixed. Unfortunately, we are unable to customize any feature or enable additional features for the shared-hosting accounts."

Without backup enabled, the new hosting provider couldn't transfer my website to it. What should I do?
    Any advise is appreciated, thanks!

Default Re: Problem Transferring Website to another Hosting Provider

do you have access to cpanel?

if have you can do the backup from there.

How? So did the new hosting provider.

Is it website + emails + database or simply just website?
    If just website, you could easily do the job yourself. Just download old website using FTP and upload to the new one.

If emails and/or database involved, better get someone who knows what they're doing.

But backup was not enabled for transferring the website, so how? Any experience web hosting expert can advise me whether what they doing is legal? Any action to be taken?

Quote Originally Posted by silencer13 View Post
    Is it website + emails + database or simply just website?
    If just website, you could easily do the job yourself. Just download old website using FTP and upload to the new one.

If emails and/or database involved, better get someone who knows what they're doing.

I remember the new web hosting company will need your existing hosting company to provide transfer authorization EPP key and the new web hosting company will take care the rest, did they gotten the EPP key already?

anyway, no big deal if you still own your domain name and park it somewhere else.

try PM sinned79 and see what advice he can give you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

cpanel is the control panel for your website... i believe that most webhost will be using cpanel in their backend (or even so, some form of control panel)

if have the login id and password... you can go in to do a full backup. with that file you can give to your new webhost to recreate your site...

see my own screenshots... website details removed for security reasons...

I don't have backup wizard like yours. Can FTP backup database?

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire88 View Post
    cpanel is the control panel for your website... i believe that most webhost will be using cpanel in their backend (or even so, some form of control panel)

if have the login id and password... you can go in to do a full backup. with that file you can give to your new webhost to recreate your site...

see my own screenshots... website details removed for security reasons...

Now the hosting provider is charging me S$100 for one time backup!

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    Who is your web host?

Backups should be free and generated on a regular basis... It's an integral process to recover the data if anything happens to the server...

Sounds like a rogue webhost to me....

If you have FTP access can check if your new web host if they can transfer out the important data through ftp to rebuild your site on their end....

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    this is strange, how much you paid for web hosting previously?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

That's what the new hosting provider said, normally backup option was given for all accounts even it shared server environment. But the old hosting company insisted that, "Based on our record, the hosting service you subscribed with us is a share hosting service. Which mean there are about 80 customers sharing one server. For share hosting service, we do not enable the backup features for all the customers." And went on to show me the link to the S$100 one time backup service.

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire88 View Post
    Who is your web host?

Backups should be free and generated on a regular basis... It's an integral process to recover the data if anything happens to the server...

Sounds like a rogue webhost to me....

If you have FTP access can check if your new web host if they can transfer out the important data through ftp to rebuild your site on their end....

Have a look here: Linux Hosting | Singapore Web Hosting Provider | NewMedia Express
    Its a LX2 plan.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    this is strange, how much you paid for web hosting previously?

That's what the new hosting provider said, normally backup option was given for all accounts even it shared server environment. But the old hosting company insisted that, "Based on our record, the hosting service you subscribed with us is a share hosting service. Which mean there are about 80 customers sharing one server. For share hosting service, we do not enable the backup features for all the customers." And went on to show me the link to the S$100 one time backup service.
    they are trying to pull a fast one on you for sure!!! i'm on shared hosting as well with my webhost and backup option is definitely available (thanks to that i recovered my site a few times due to different issues)

your plan under features have "cPanel Control Panel"

you mean inside your cPanel don't have the backup wizard option??? if so your webhost is damn sneaky....

here's some tips (for those who might need it in future)

a bit technie but hope you understand what i am trying to say:

1. Your website
    Using ftp, you can download your web files to your laptop or pc then using ftp again to ftp back to your new web host.

2. Emails
    Using outlook, u can setup POP3 email account on your outlook to download all your emails.

3. Database
    Using cpanel (applicable for those using cpanel), you can access phpmyadmin

Using the Export function to export your database out and then import your database back on your new webhost (but you need to setup the database accordingly on the new webhost to match your old webhost)

feel free to ask if you need any further help.

Thanks sinned79, catchlights and others for your help! Problem fixed finally with the help of support from the new hosting provider. Advise for those changing hosting provider or planning to subscribing to one soon, find out whether there is support for backing up free. With my new hosting provider, I finally see those backup wizard and backup icons on the Cpanel!