Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Population Growth is good

  1. #1

    Question Population Growth is good

    The white paper of 6.9m population projection sparked a public outcry last month.

    A lot of people have expressed concerns, etc. Some even turned up at Hong Lim Park to protest.

    However, this man (NTU Professor) apparently likes the idea of population growth. He is in favour of the immigration policy.

    Concerns on immigration ‘based on fallacies’: NTU prof - Yahoo! News Singapore

    Therefore, there are still some who are in the favour of the white paper. No wonder the government seems to be a bit of confident despite that they know that a lot of people will go against it.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    The white paper of 6.9m population projection sparked a public outcry last month.

    A lot of people have expressed concerns, etc. Some even turned up at Hong Lim Park to protest.

    However, this man (NTU Professor) apparently likes the idea of population growth. He is in favour of the immigration policy.

    Concerns on immigration €˜based on fallacies€™: NTU prof - Yahoo! News Singapore

    Therefore, there are still some who are in the favour of the white paper. No wonder the government seems to be a bit of confident despite that they know that a lot of people will go against it.
    Interesting.
    "I’m still in favour of an immigration policy, but then it has to be supplemented by help to the poor.”
    Last edited by cks2k2; 2nd March 2013 at 12:36 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Demographics of individual countries. This is only Singapore looking at itself.

    However, the world population is growing too fast and people live longer lives.

    There are worries food will not be enough to feed all in the world.

    The fish in the sea is being over-fished to risk depletion of fish stocks in a few decades.

    There is not enough water for so many billions of people in the world.

    In future wars may be fought over water.

    There is worry that an individual country will have (say, for example) 10% children; with only 20% young adults supporting 70% old folks.

    There is worry that medical care costs of so many old folks will cripple the state.

    I think at some point to solve this problem, a daring state authority in a country will institutionalise scheduled euthanasia at X age, with the written consent of the aged citizen. State medical staff will administer a lethal dose of painless pharmaceutical injected. Then some of the rest of the countries follow.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 2nd March 2013 at 01:45 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Demographics of individual countries. This is only Singapore looking at itself.

    However, the world population is growing too fast and people live longer lives.

    There are worries food will not be enough to feed all in the world.

    The fish in the sea is being over-fished to risk depletion of fish stocks in a few decades.

    There is not enough water for so many billions of people in the world.

    In future wars may be fought over water.

    There is worry that an individual country will have (say, for example) 10% children; with only 20% young adults supporting 70% old folks.

    There is worry that medical care costs of so many old folks will cripple the state.

    I think at some point to solve this problem, a daring state authority in a country will institutionalise scheduled euthanasia at X age, with the written consent of the aged citizen. State medical staff will administer a lethal dose of painless pharmaceutical injected. Then some of the rest of the countries follow.
    We need Soylent Green.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Demographics of individual countries. This is only Singapore looking at itself.

    However, the world population is growing too fast and people live longer lives.

    There are worries food will not be enough to feed all in the world.

    The fish in the sea is being over-fished to risk depletion of fish stocks in a few decades.

    There is not enough water for so many billions of people in the world.

    In future wars may be fought over water.

    There is worry that an individual country will have (say, for example) 10% children; with only 20% young adults supporting 70% old folks.

    There is worry that medical care costs of so many old folks will cripple the state.

    I think at some point to solve this problem, a daring state authority in a country will institutionalise scheduled euthanasia at X age, with the written consent of the aged citizen. State medical staff will administer a lethal dose of painless pharmaceutical injected. Then some of the rest of the countries follow.
    There will be a world war to reset everything.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  6. #6
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Without greed, the world definitely can sustain a higher population. Of course countries like Singapore are not part of this equation. We are simply too small. The Prof concept is strange and he didn't understand quality of life. Maybe living in a cage too long. Sorry Prof, my personal opinion.

    Life expectancy has increased and that did not lead to quality life for many but burden to others. So, they need to review medication and its application. What is the point of living to 100 but live like a vegetable?

    Mother Nature is fair but we human try to turn the table. I am sure I will never live to see this future but I hope I could contribute for a better tomorrow. I would not advocate population increase just to feed the greed of some.

  7. #7
    Senior Member albertri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,304

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Like my Grandma used to tell me "anything too much and too less is bad it should be just nice" that's my take in the population regardless of country we are talking.
    <<<<<Hobo in Singapore >>>> View My 500px

  8. #8
    Senior Member albertri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,304

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    There will be a world war to reset everything.
    yes for human war is the reset button :-) hope it's not the meteor that wipe out the dinosaurs will be our reset button :P
    <<<<<Hobo in Singapore >>>> View My 500px

  9. #9
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Population Growth is good


    Up! Up! And Away!
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  10. #10
    Senior Member albertri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,304

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post

    Up! Up! And Away!
    what comes up will go down (eventually)
    <<<<<Hobo in Singapore >>>> View My 500px

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    We need Soylent Green.
    In that fiction story made into a movie, dead human remains are recycled as food.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex

    In that fiction story made into a movie, dead human remains are recycled as food.
    Nothing new about this.. The current factory is called Mother Nature

  13. #13
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    The white paper of 6.9m population projection sparked a public outcry last month.

    A lot of people have expressed concerns, etc. Some even turned up at Hong Lim Park to protest.

    However, this man (NTU Professor) apparently likes the idea of population growth. He is in favour of the immigration policy.

    Concerns on immigration €˜based on fallacies€™: NTU prof - Yahoo! News Singapore

    Therefore, there are still some who are in the favour of the white paper. No wonder the government seems to be a bit of confident despite that they know that a lot of people will go against it.
    You shouldn't spend your time posting this.

    Instead you should save the energy and invest the time to produce babies for Singapore.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post

    You shouldn't spend your time posting this.

    Instead you should save the energy and invest the time to produce babies for Singapore.
    maybe thats what the 2 berserk naked men are trying to do - rise to the occasion, and impregnate any passer by.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    You shouldn't spend your time posting this.

    Instead you should save the energy and invest the time to produce babies for Singapore.
    On the same note, you shouldn't be spending time and replying.

    You should be spending the energy and time to produce babies for Singapore too.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Even we got enough housing, does we having enough space for leisure and other stuffs?
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    In that fiction story made into a movie, dead human remains are recycled as food.
    obviously why i referenced the movie.

    "soylent green is people!"

  18. #18

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    For a professor, his rationalisations are weird, like those spouted by someone from IMH propounding some grand theories in a vacuum... Maybe should squeeze him in every morning at JE interchange then he may see the light why current situation, if continued, is not acceptable His logic on the mrt congestion analogy is so ridiculous, talk about fallacies. Must be trying very hard to please his masters.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 2nd March 2013 at 05:17 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    For a professor, his rationalisations are weird, like those spouted by someone from IMH propounding some grand theories in a vacuum... Maybe should squeeze him in every morning at JE interchange then he may see the light why current situation, if continued, is not acceptable His logic on the mrt congestion analogy is so ridiculous, talk about fallacies. Must be trying very hard to please his masters.
    I bet he never take MRT to work during peak hour.
    More people will only keep property price high and the owners of these properties happy.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Population Growth is good

    population growth is good if they import more Japanese.

    Objection !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •