Thread: curve in a RAW

Default curve in a RAW

hi ppl..

i have a nagging question.. been shooting jpeg.. and recently moved to RAW for more details retention.

should i continue to have custom curves loaded in the cam, when shots are in RAW?

does the curve restrict the details captured and how will it impact further post processing?

comments?

Quote Originally Posted by sensx
    should i continue to have custom curves loaded in the cam, when shots are in RAW?

does the curve restrict the details captured and how will it impact further post processing?
    It should not make any difference. However, a selected curve might be recorded as metadata in the file, and the download/raw processing software could possibly use it as a default when converting from raw to other formats.

If the raw conversion program produces only low-resolution data (like 8bpp or 24 bpp JPEG), or if your image processing program cannot deal with high-resolution data, it is better to apply curves before the conversion to avoid accumulation of round-off errors.

Nikon Capture won't let you add custom curves to your RAW, so you're better off shooting with them.

its gd to be able to use custom curves

Quote Originally Posted by CrashWire
    Nikon Capture won't let you add custom curves to your RAW, so you're better off shooting with them.
    You are right that NC cannot do that. But there are other software that can:
    http://www.rawmagick.com/