Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: D40 Focus Screen fell out - Help Please :(

  1. #1

    Unhappy D40 Focus Screen fell out - Help Please :(

    Hi

    My D40 focusing screen fell out. Tried to re-install it but accidentally broke the tiny plastic tab used to hold the retainer ring in place.


    1. Focusing Screen



    2. Red Arrow pointing to the "tiny plastic tab" that secures the metal retainer ring. I broke it when forcing down the retainer



    3. Another angle


    Pictures taken from this website (credits to them!).
    --Nikon D5100 / D3100 Focusing Screen Installation Instruction--



    Called Nikon Service Center, staff didn't seem to know what I was describing... Anyway, labour cost starts from $100. Clueless about price of this plastic tab / retainer lock-tab.

    Should I send it for repair? No warranty.

    Else, where can I sell my "half-dead" D40?


    Sadddd day for me. Costly DIY failure

  2. #2
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: D40 Focus Screen fell out - Help Please :(

    No warranty means no need to repair?


    over the phone nobody will able to give you an exact quote, as they unsure are there any other issue beside this. to play safe, always quote on the high side.
    why don't just bring it down to let them give a quote?

    alternatively, you can contact bro fatigue.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  3. #3

    Default Re: D40 Focus Screen fell out - Help Please :(

    Ouch. IIRC, the last D40 body I saw for resale was going for about $200+.

  4. #4

    Default Re: D40 Focus Screen fell out - Help Please :(

    just bring it down. to NSC.

  5. #5

    Default Re: D40 Focus Screen fell out - Help Please :(

    Sorry, I mentioned no warranty = higher cost of repair. Labour cost etc; full price

    Thanks, I'll search the forum for 'fatigue' and contact him

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    No warranty means no need to repair?


    over the phone nobody will able to give you an exact quote, as they unsure are there any other issue beside this. to play safe, always quote on the high side.
    why don't just bring it down to let them give a quote?

    alternatively, you can contact bro fatigue.

  6. #6

    Default Re: D40 Focus Screen fell out - Help Please :(

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Ouch. IIRC, the last D40 body I saw for resale was going for about $200+.
    Thanks for the headsup!

    Labour cost starts at $100... add in cost of part(s)... Aww man You'll be missed D40

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: D40 Focus Screen fell out - Help Please :(

    Quote Originally Posted by addin View Post
    Thanks for the headsup!

    Labour cost starts at $100... add in cost of part(s)... Aww man You'll be missed D40
    Look for fatigue. He might be able to locate some parts salvaged from old D40.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •