Thread: Need Advice On a VideoCam

Default Need Advice On a VideoCam

hi,

am looking for an entry level video cam at abt $1500(cam only). am not concerned abt having the extra feature of taking still pics. main concerns :
    1. optical zoom
    2. indoor recording ability
    3. CCD sensor size
    4. batt life
    5. DV Tapes(cheapest rec medium right)

been reading and asking ard. seems that SONY,CANON,PANASONIC are the recommended ones?

PANASONIC has its 3CCD feature, but someone told me that the 3CCD is not "true" 3CCD technology, but 3 small sensors interpolated as one? how true is this?

CANON, was recommended their 800 series, apparently ranges from $800-$1200) heard that it is pretty solid

SONY, was just told that its good

pls help with any advice that u may have

thanks!!!

Blog Entries

try it out and buy the one that you feel comfortable with.
    Since you are not concerned with extra features

Try Panasonic... Understand they got the 3CCD ones priced quite competitively... I have used it and the video is, IMO, better than the ones with single CCD.

for new models,

you can try the sony HC90. just released and should be around your budget. Single CCD but big CCD so the low light performance should be quite ok.

I just got the sony PC1000E last week at $1865 with gst. It is a 3 CMOS system. The low light recordings has pretty low noise but the colors are not very vibrant.

but since size is not a factor for you, then you should go for the panasonic models like the GS400 or GS250. I did not get the panasonic because for the size issue.

sonys are better in terms of being smaller but it has less manual controls than panasonic.

wat can u do abt the lack of colour vibrancy?

i mean can u edit colour into clips? like for photos in PS?

and r there any clubsnap like forums abt video?

I am currently using the Panasonic GS200 and the colours are much more vibrant. More to broadcast quality..... In addition, it was also the recommended model by one of the lecturer from a Poly, teaching multimedia. Dun always hear from the salesperson as they will only promote the model that they want to sell. Dun just hear from me... try it out yourself and find out the answers. Cheers and happy shopping!

3CCD = better and more vibrant colours, 1CCD better low light sensitivity (but then again, 1LARGE CCD is better than 3 tiny CCDs),

On video, post processing takes VERY long, as there are 25 frames of 720x576 pixels every second. Therefore, to do colour restore and change of contrast out-of-camera can be quite taxing, unless you have relatively expensive video processing cards. Sure you can, Adobe Premiere is pretty powerful, but it is a whole lot more tha Photoshop.

Personally, I prefer Panasonic, followed by Canon. This has to do with my preference for colours rendered by the cameras.

One important point that you have missed out in your list is Optical Stabiliser, which is much better than digital stabilisers which tends to jerk. It's like VR/IS/OS lens for SLRs.

www.dvinfo.net/conf is pretty informative about video cams.

Most importantly, try the cam connected to a good TV, you'll be able to see the colour rendition by diffrent brands and choose the best one for yourself. Also remember to try out the handling, placement of buttons, etc.

And yes, MiniDV is still very popular, but for non-editors, the DVD type can be attractive.

PM me if you you think that I can help you more.

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    3CCD = better and more vibrant colours, 1CCD better low light sensitivity (but then again, 1LARGE CCD is better than 3 tiny CCDs),

On video, post processing takes VERY long, as there are 25 frames of 720x576 pixels every second. Therefore, to do colour restore and change of contrast out-of-camera can be quite taxing, unless you have relatively expensive video processing cards. Sure you can, Adobe Premiere is pretty powerful, but it is a whole lot more tha Photoshop.

Personally, I prefer Panasonic, followed by Canon. This has to do with my preference for colours rendered by the cameras.

One important point that you have missed out in your list is Optical Stabiliser, which is much better than digital stabilisers which tends to jerk. It's like VR/IS/OS lens for SLRs.

www.dvinfo.net/conf is pretty informative about video cams.

Most importantly, try the cam connected to a good TV, you'll be able to see the colour rendition by diffrent brands and choose the best one for yourself. Also remember to try out the handling, placement of buttons, etc.

And yes, MiniDV is still very popular, but for non-editors, the DVD type can be attractive.

PM me if you you think that I can help you more.
    agree 100%

i am also a big fan of optical stablisation, just like IS in Canon lenses I also like to have full manual control (aperture/shutter speed)

i would avoid buying the 'cheap' Panasonic 3CCD cams, at lower budgets, 3CCD is just a gimmick and the low light performance is awful. The starting point for 3CCD should be the Panasonic GS400. If your budget is 1.5k, better to get a good 1 CCD cam. Sony 1 CCD cams have good low light performance but proprietary formats. Panasonic, can use Sandisk Extreme SD Card which can be used if DSLR as well

y not get the Canon XL-1 ?? or the XL-2 ??