Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pentax K-01 listed as discontinued one year after announcement

Default Re: Pentax K-01 listed as discontinued one year after announcement

Quote Originally Posted by SyncGuy View Post
    I hope I don't get bash here but MY prediction is, K5ii/S is more or less the same thing; new AF system but still incorporating the old K5 processor, therefore denying Focus Peaking.

Whereas K30 has the new processor, allowing Focus Peaking and slightly improved AF, perhaps due to better hardware, latest processor but not the newer AF system used in the K5ii/S.

Macam neither here nor there..

Thus, I'm looking at the possibility that the new rumored K3/S will be everything into 1.. Think K30+K5ii/S..
    its called "product differentiation" and "market segmentation" everything also got the same function, how to sell at different price?

some level of crippling is always done to save cost and make it attractive to different market segments with different needs / budget.

[/QUOTE]Sekali the FF have Retina Display + FB + 4G data support how? Haha![/QUOTE]

then i won't buy cos either battery life would suck or battery is gonna be huge and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by LiverpoolMadman View Post
    Sorry to hear that ...

Thank you for yr understanding where I came from ...

"now value even worse..maybe sell both now..cant even get a 2nd hand k5..." >> that's what I saying ... when the value drop .. all models before that model will drop even further .... unless it's a "collector item" like Leica but K-01 NOT even close to that ..
    and you are feeling this way because you cant sell your k7?

Quote Originally Posted by LiverpoolMadman

Pentax Website selling @ 299 ( body only ) ..
    With local warranty? I have to dig out the link again...

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    cute xmm that work in salon? i think you need to do street shooting near jalan besar area
    thank you sir! You know where to find me this sat..wish me luck

Quote Originally Posted by Yamakasi View Post
    K-01: S8FE, DA35, DA70 Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by SyncGuy

IMHO, K-01 was an "experiment"..

A simple body just to test out Pentax's first foray into focus peaking, that's all.
    Coz right after that, Q came out followed by K30, each having that feature.

I hope I don't get bash here but MY prediction is, K5ii/S is more or less the same thing; new AF system but still incorporating the old K5 processor, therefore denying Focus Peaking.

Whereas K30 has the new processor, allowing Focus Peaking and slightly improved AF, perhaps due to better hardware, latest processor but not the newer AF system used in the K5ii/S.

Macam neither here nor there..

Thus, I'm looking at the possibility that the new rumored K3/S will be everything into 1.. Think K30+K5ii/S..

If so, then the rumored K3/S would be the real Pentax flagship, along with K30 as "entry-level", and PERHAPS K5ii/S would be the bridge between them.

Ultimately, just grab whatever that suits your needs and budget currently and be happy.. Technology nowadays advance so fast. Where got such thing as investment in electronics one...?

Sekali the FF have Retina Display + FB + 4G data support how? Haha!
    You think Pentax launched the K-01 to test out the waters for the feature focus peaking? lol

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    based on the interviews posted on PF, i think the reason is clear: it didn't sell well plans for lenses with the protruding rear lens element that was supposed to make use of the space in the k-01 mount was cancelled and its likely that they dropped the idea for a k-02 - its a one-off product. how to make a product that is not selling?

more objective users liked its design, its image quality and the fact that it uses k-mount, thus negating the need to buy a new range of lenses but it also drew a lot of flak from closed-minded users that felt that it looked like a toy, was big and heavy, had no EVF and didnt fit their narrow understanding of what a camera "should" be or "should" look like.

i never bought one cos i felt that it was too big to be a 2nd body - it would take up too much space in my bag and it did not fit my needs.

for pple who bought it, i'm sure they're using it to take nice pictures every time they bring it out and that shouldn't change just because its a discontinued model right?
    I do agree that the K01 is being discontinued due to poor sales. With the launch price, not much people want to buy it. When it drop the price a little, it still did not gain the momentum until the price which US drops till dirt cheap, people starts to buy it. In PF , there are people say there is increase interest in the K01. To me, it's a flop. The price which started off till the price which US is selling now, it shows that market would only buy it if it is priced so low.

To me the main reason why it flop:
    1. The AF in their starting firmware : Much of the lens have issues focusing with it. It causes much users to keep away from it.
    2. The FPS in RAW. One frame per second?
    3. The design: I guess people still like old style camera design and not out of the box design.
    4. An articulating screen would have helped!! It's already so thick, why still don't include it?

For them to make a decision to discontinued it, it seem right. They should focus on their current APS-C DSLR, the Ricoh GRD model and maybe FF in future. Let's hope for better product by Ricoh Pentax.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by ageha View Post
    You think Pentax launched the K-01 to test out the waters for the feature focus peaking? lol
    I thot sony "tested" the focus peaking function for pentax with their nex

bought the camera from a salesman in Newstead name Daniel last year around end june. It was during the S$749 sales. When saw it was cut to just $399 last year, start feeling a bit heart pain. Know that it is going to be discontinued feeling more heart pain. Feel like left out by Pentax.

But I never regret the decision of buying this camera. The captured memory, the journey that K-01 has travelled together with me worth more than the cost. It helps to improve my photography skills and knowledge. Love this camera. Hope Pentax would consider to continue the series.

Wah!
    You very :

Quote Originally Posted by SyncGuy View Post
    IMHO, K-01 was an "experiment"..

A simple body just to test out Pentax's first foray into focus peaking, that's all.
    And we are the guinea pig right ...

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    based on the interviews posted on PF, i think the reason is clear: it didn't sell well plans for lenses with the protruding rear lens element that was supposed to make use of the space in the k-01 mount was cancelled and its likely that they dropped the idea for a k-02 - its a one-off product. how to make a product that is not selling?
    If cannot sell due to whatever reason , it's their fault ... what I mean is a product from a good company cannot drop the price up to 75% off ... within 1 year ..

Discontinued the product that's fine But drop up the price up to 75% off , I need to think twice if I wanted to buy again

A part of it YES ...

But again some of us will begin to think " how to sell my camera in the future if continue like this ( drop up to 75% within 1 year ) " ?

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinChooi View Post
    bought the camera from a salesman in Newstead name Daniel last year around end june. It was during the S$749 sales. When saw it was cut to just $399 last year, start feeling a bit heart pain. Know that it is going to be discontinued feeling more heart pain. Feel like left out by Pentax.

But I never regret the decision of buying this camera. The captured memory, the journey that K-01 has travelled together with me worth more than the cost. It helps to improve my photography skills and knowledge. Love this camera. Hope Pentax would consider to continue the series.
    ahh..Daniel..used to talk to him a few times when he was station at SLRR..wonder where he is now...

actually if k-01 is discontinued..there are still other pentax dslr to consider

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Wah!
    You very :

We are all in this together ...

We are all in this together ...
    actually dun mind me asking..do you have a k-01 in first place?

If cannot sell due to whatever reason , it's their fault ... what I mean is a product from a good company cannot drop the price up to 75% off ... within 1 year ..

Discontinued the product that's fine But drop up the price up to 75% off , I need to think twice if I wanted to buy again

Don't be so bitter lah!
    As I've said, at least with its dying breath, it got itself into the hands of more ppl.
    Ppl who may not have considered one or a Pentax.
    If the user base grows, in the long run, its a good thing and eventually will break the 'drop in investment' that you fear and feel unhappy about.
    (long journey to this though...)

Like I mention in the previous post.
    How Nikon holds on to a so high RRP even after donkey years (eg. with the D90) is also wrong.
    Only the clueless will buy at those RRP after so many years and good luck trying to sell near those prices in BnS.
    You'll just end up typing "Up for the week!" to infinium.
    Other brand cameras, even those more successful than K01 also drop by 50% or more with a year or 1.5yr (most of the m4/3; X-series )

Like what others have said and shown.
    The camera is still a highly viable tool.
    Use it to its strength and to your full potential.
    Thats how you 'recuperate your loss'

I saw a 2nd hand Hassleblad H2D on sale at Peninsular in Dec2012.
    $4K only.
    Probably was about 1,000X that at launch.
    Value for money and right way to treat customers?

You want to get out of this cycle of falling prices for electronics?
    Buy it later in its lifecycle.
    But don't lament or 'itchy' when your friend waves his latest and greatest toy in front of you.

Cheer up!
    Last edited by pinholecam; 27th February 2013 at 11:40 PM.

actually dun mind me asking..do you have a k-01 in first place?
    Used to have ... and I still have Pentax Cam and accessories too ...

Leica is even worse.. I see m9s selling at 5k these days

ok ok... my fault for not supporting the brand. if more pple had bought the camera, i'm sure u'll be less pek chek.

if price fluctuation of camera gear is something can cause u so much anguish, yah... u better think twice before buying next time. life's too short and such emotions are bad for your blood pressure and mental well-being.

take it easy lah. camera gear is supposed to make u happy. u so pek chek over the price drop, how to enjoy photography?
    Last edited by detritus; 28th February 2013 at 09:57 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast