Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Call you tell the diff ? Tilt and Shift vs Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    If the film/sensor format and the focal length of the lens are known, you have enough information to determine how much to compensate - no reference needed.
    errr........ how ?
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    errr........ how ?
    The T&S and the "distorted" picture are related by a simple projection. I don't have the formulas memorized, but one could draw a diagram and derive them with little effort.

allright thanks, frankly, i'm just a sniper wannabe..not in the army yet =S that ghillie suit was me during the army open house.haha i doubt you know me

Quote Originally Posted by sniperleow
    allright thanks, frankly, i'm just a sniper wannabe..not in the army yet =S that ghillie suit was me during the army open house.haha i doubt you know me
    oic..cos i happen to know someone with a surname leow in my batch...
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    You got that right. I can be called 'old school' here but I've always held that getting it right on film (or digital) at the shooting stage is preferable to post shooting manipulation on a PC. This means aquiring far more skill as a photographer but it pays off in the long haul. Besides which the cost of producing a tranny from a digital file is expensive and in most cases when working with 35mm not cost justifiable if the client wants a number of shots transferred.
    It is not "old school" but professionalism. Let's put it this way: getting it right saves you lots of time later. There was someone whom I read that basically lament that with DI, you don't have to get everything right in a studio shoot before the shutter goes off; you can DI away the lines or cables, etc. 5 mins in getting it right verses 1 hour of touch up...

And if the image has to be printed say larger that S8R, the stretching via DI will show up. Then what?

haha..maybe some long lost relative or something..probably from the same great great great great great grandfather.. u signed on? now sniper s got new rifle wor..the AWP

RL,

1.The problem with perspective correction in PS is the amount of time it takes to get it right. If one is used to working with a view camera, you know that adjusting the rear standard for perspective and working the front for focus + either for rise/fall/shift is just a matter of 5 minutes or so. (Please do not listen to Dr.Hong Sien, he is getting old and plain lazy..)
    2.The same corrections in PS take at least 2-10x longer depending upon the complexity of the corrections.
    3.One is not sure about the proportions and its final appearance in terms of the amount the top/bottom part of the building gets stretched etc.. unless and after you are done with the corrections...(on a GG of a V. Camera one can see the final product)
    4.Most architectural firms will not accept PS corrected pictures unless it is a free job...
    5.Finally it all boils down to how often you will need to shoot architecture,how many shots? and also I guess, it has to do with how comfortable are you personally shooting images and tweaking/distorting them later..
    6.RL- as you intend to use the 24mm TS lens you may not get the desired shift in certain cases (max shift if i amnot mistaken is only 11mm??).and may need to do a bit of PS..i guess within limits it maybe acceptable...
    7.Horseman also makes the "View Camera Converter" for 35mm and medium format cameras which may be of some interest to you. They also make the X-Act-D which is a digital 6x6 monorail optical bench system.

finally for those interested in PS..ing anyway here are some links...I did try..but decided i was better of with my inverted images

http://www.larry-bolch.com/perspective/photoshop.htm

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=006zZQ

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/horizons.htm

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Cheers
    HT

very interesting thread

if i m not mistaken, the T&S lens is not just for perpective correction on buildings. its good for commercial shots too, eg. models & products. imagine u need to take a shot of a watch. u want the face to be sharply in focus, but becos the watch is tilted at an angle, u can't get it really tack sharp. this kind of situation is where T&S lens comes into play. very useful.

btw how much u pay for this T&S baby?

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    i think depends how many pic u need to shoot

if a few...still can do PS

but when u need to shoot a lot and need to process ASAP...
    Good point Wai. After reading further, in the long run it may be much better to get it right from the beginning with 5minutes work and a T/S lens. Like others have said...time is money.

CP selling 24mm t/s for: $2250

Anyone know of a better price?

Good thread here.
    Last edited by taiwanapurasteve; 28th March 2005 at 03:28 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123