Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is more recommended for a beginner?

why not u speak to your father in law to loan the d70 for a day or two to play it out. then do the same for the cannon 350d, this way u really tried things out

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus
    I was speaking to my father-in-law who has a D70 and he's frustrated as he considers the D70 to NOT be very user friendly for a newbie... I haven't used it and don't know. I'm a relative newbie and think the Sony F828 is extremely intuitive to use myself. Hope that helps!

Cheer
    Cyrus
    It depends on what you are expecting with the camera and what it means by user friendly. P&S camera is really P&S, if you buy D70 expecting to P&S, I think you will be very disappointed. At first I was dismayed that I cannot use the LCD like normal camera (useful for people wearing specs like me) and zooming requires your left hand (my other cam is Fuji S5000, where I can sneak inside clubbing and with a beer in my left hand, I can still zoom and shoot and drink and boogie) but now I understand that SLR means you see through the lens and not LCD-translated view.

I also read somewhere a guy who was complaining that for that much money, they could have included a video function. So far, I haven't seen any request for MP3 player, built-in flashlight, FM radio or PDA function. If they do, I will need a much bigger camera bag with extra space for my portable speaker system.

Deregistered

from my observations canon tend to attrract the "rebels" and the "conceptuals".

nikon tend to attract the "technicians" and the "old school".

in terms of marketing, technology and customer support cannon is a step ahead of nikon...just one step.

nikon lenses are sharp and contrasty thats a no brainer...
    but after buying my first nikon slr and found out that the canon model of a similiar price range offered me more features.... i switched over.

but ultimately its up to you.....afterall its just a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish
    I'm looking to get a DSLR, but i'm not too sure whether to choose Canon 300D or the Nikon D70. Any tips? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish
    I'm looking to get a DSLR, but i'm not too sure whether to choose Canon 300D or the Nikon D70. Any tips? Thanks
    Hi Dogfish,
    I am sure you are as confused now as your are clear about the many choices presented to you, so may I be so bold as to add further to that confusion.

Before you even consider going into DSLR, there are a few things you might want to consider.
    1. Are you upgrading from a compact digital camera?
    2. Do you have an intimate knowledge of the very basics of photography? ie the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and media sensitivity?
    3. Are you willing to commit to the investment of a DSLR? eg. flash, lens etc.
    4. Are you willing to carry all that weight whereever you go?
    If your answer to these questions are no, then you might want reconsider.

Perhaps my personal experience might help provide a diffrent perspective.
    I used to carry with me about 7-9kgs (If I remember correctly) of equipment consisting of an F90 body, 17mm, 28-70, 70-210 and 200-400mm lenses, a flash and some filters, whenever I go for my trips. But when my son was born, the thought of carrying all that weight plus milk bottles, diapera etc kept my equipment firmly in the dry cabinet for the last 2 yrs. Now with my Panasonic FZ10, I have all the lenses and body in a light compact kit. Of course, it doesn't take mind blowing pics that fill an entire wall, but at least I get the pics. I do dream of duplicating my SLR setup with a digital version. But I know that in reality, the only time I am going to be taking my camera out is when I am going out specifically to take pictures.

So sorry to be so lor sor here, but I have come across so many ppl who bought into the DSLR craze thinking they will be guaranteed of better pictures and end up disappointed because of all that expense and restrictive weight and of course. . .no guaranteed award winning pics.

I am not trying to desuade you from buying a DSLR, I just want to point out the other aspects other than whether or not a DSLR will take better picture than a compact. In any case, when you upgrade from a compact to a DSLR, you will be able to understand and better appreciate the differences between the two.

Just my 2 cents worth

I agree with MDZ2. If taking pictures is just something that you enjoy doing it leisurely, I would really suggest you maintain a point-and-shoot camera. You can perhaps get a good one. There are plenty of choice to choose from.

The moment you ventured into digital single lens reflex system (because your friends all have it, or you may find it cool to have one, etc... Sorry), you are looking into a lifelong heavy investment into camera bodies and equipments. All these doesn't come cheap. We are talking about thousands of dollars here, like these good professionals here. If you are finanically stable and you are serious about photography, DSLR will be your ultimate end but if this passion dies off in a few months' time, then reconsiderations and planning will need to be in place.

Tip:
    Know what you want and what you need. There are good people here that can give you hundreds of recommendations and deliver the idea of buy and buy (you need this, it will be better if you have this, etc...). Do not pay too much attention on it. Know what you need and work within your means. A small compact point-and-shoot camera is not a disgrace at all.
    Speaking of ART is USELESS if one cannot FEEL anything.
    My Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by MDZ2
    Hi Dogfish,
    I am sure you are as confused now as your are clear about the many choices presented to you, so may I be so bold as to add further to that confusion.

Before you even consider going into DSLR, there are a few things you might want to consider.
    1. Are you upgrading from a compact digital camera?
    2. Do you have an intimate knowledge of the very basics of photography? ie the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and media sensitivity?
    3. Are you willing to commit to the investment of a DSLR? eg. flash, lens etc.

Just my 2 cents worth

I agree except these 2 points. Sort of. I'm also fresh from compact (semi-SLR like Fuji S5000 and S602). I normally use Auto but if I wanna learn aperture, speed, ISO, etc, the best way is to have hands-on training. Therefore, I bought one.

For carrying, I have different bags, 1 is for the D70 with kit lens, 1 is a backpack with flash and extra lens, and 1 is a big daddy bag where I can strap my tripod. And of course, I still use my S5000 as my "party" camera. Its a judgement on how much you can carry and what the shoot is for.

So I think the question is if this is just a whim or are you ready to invest in something you may love or hate. There is always "yahoo auction" if you find this is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77

I agree except these 2 points. Sort of. I'm also fresh from compact (semi-SLR like Fuji S5000 and S602). I normally use Auto but if I wanna learn aperture, speed, ISO, etc, the best way is to have hands-on training. Therefore, I bought one.

For carrying, I have different bags, 1 is for the D70 with kit lens, 1 is a backpack with flash and extra lens, and 1 is a big daddy bag where I can strap my tripod. And of course, I still use my S5000 as my "party" camera. Its a judgement on how much you can carry and what the shoot is for.

So I think the question is if this is just a whim or are you ready to invest in something you may love or hate. There is always "yahoo auction" if you find this is not for you.
    like I said, if you already own a compact camera and want to upgrade, then the purchase is justified because you already know what you want and can appreciate the extra features and less restrictions, though sometimes these restrictions actually give rise to creativity and unusual pics.

In any case, I don't think yahoo or any other auction website is a real option unless you don't really need the money or really want to get rid of your camera. Case in point, everyone's been trying to hammer the price of the camera, I am trying to sell, down to below 50% of the original purchase price, so much so that I am deciding to not sell it altogether, and just keeping it as a spare.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12