Thread: How to market your photography service?

Default How to market your photography service?

Marketing an intergral part of photography service. It requires time and effort and resources to do it.

Do you do enough of it and how best to do it?

Thanks for the input.

Default Re: How to market your photography service?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Marketing an intergral part of photography service. It requires time and effort and resources to do it.

Thanks for the input.

It starts with your target audience... many stupidly start marketing their service without know who they want to sell their service to... Just a waste of money and resources.

Knowing your target audience is not as simple as you might think...

So if you know your target audience... there are so many different channel to target them... just do one that fit into your budget.

Regards,

Hart

There was a reference to a audio track by Zack Arias on starting out the biz... there is a section on marketing and placement. Educational, it is interesting to hear from some one who came into went out and came back in again. Better to hear real world experiences than the I am a wucking great photographer/business person with no details how to get there.

Hart is right. Getting to the right audience is important because your marketing message needs to be tailored according to the audience you are intending to reach.

I used to do architecture photography elsewhere but back in Singapore, the market tends to be more interior architecture than exterior (at least from what I have experienced).

My approach back then (and somehow it works) was to design marketing materials targeting mainly at interiors designers, build and design firms, and property developers. The material was in print and web. The print has a small selection of works to showcase the kind of work I can deliver with a short writeup on my experience, and a section on promotional pricing. In short, it has information about what I am capable of, how I charge and where the price range would start, how to contact me and as well as to see more of my works on the web gallery.

I send the prints to a list from my mailing list that was compiled from multiple resources. I did a fair bit of research on each of the firm I am sending out to so that I don't waste postage and prints. I also want to make sure that the firms I sent to are producing works that are of reasonable quality - which is important to me because I want to make sure the work I have produce can be of marketing value to me too.

Once distributed, I waited for a few days and called them up on the pretext of asking if my mail has arrived. This step was important because it enabled me to talk to the person over the phone to find out about who the right person should be should there be actual business coming forth. It is sort of a lead generation process for me. Out of the whole exercise, I did get about 5% immediate business and over a few weeks, some actually call back and inquire more. The rest is about business development.

Do note that regardless of how well the package is being designed, many eventually end up in the disposal bin. As such, it was important to repeat the cycle, generate more leads to find out who is the right target and make the attempt to reach out. In short, a tedious process but a necessary effort. Back then, I don't have budget to outsource and thus everything was one man show. Hard work and ability to persevere is important.

If you ask me, the revenue was good and I have a steady flow of customers after a while.

Just my 2 cents worth of sharing. But do note that there is no hard and fast rule or formula. What works for me may not work for another.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711 View Post

Do note that regardless of how well the package is being designed, many eventually end up in the disposal bin. As such, it was important to repeat the cycle, generate more leads to find out who is the right target and make the attempt to reach out. In short, a tedious process but a necessary effort. Back then, I don't have budget to outsource and thus everything was one man show. Hard work and ability to persevere is important.

If you ask me, the revenue was good and I have a steady flow of customers after a while.

Just my 2 cents worth of sharing. But do note that there is no hard and fast rule or formula. What works for me may not work for another.

Cheers,

Dan
    Yup... but many think everything is easy and marketing is just once type of things...

Marketing effort and reaching out is a continuous thing... to be honest... it is the most tiring part of running a business...

Just make sure you charge enough to allow for this if you want continuous growth. We set about 10-15% of the total revenue budget in this area alone.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post

Thanks for the input.
    1. Learn customer service.
    2. Learn basic marketing techniques and understand how social media works in to this.
    3. Have a flawless portfolio - be honestly critical, and get a second opinion.
    4. Have a proper website, and one that does not have some stupid email address like flingchicken88@ or Lordofdarkness@
    5. Have a reputation for your results and technique.
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.