Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Use Sony PS3 to edit raw files. Can?

  1. #1

    Default Use Sony PS3 to edit raw files. Can?

    The PS3 has incredible graphic processing powers at its price point. Can we use it, instead of a computer, to edit raw files?

    (I have a PS3 and a very slow pentium 3 laptop. If possible, I would like the faster PS3 to do the editing as I do not want to buy a new computer)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Use Sony PS3 to edit raw files. Can?

    On the older PS3 OSs, you could install a Linux runtime. But that ability has been removed. So, quick answer: Nope. Either fork out the $$$ for a faster laptop (you can get good ones for as low as 400, look on HWZ for all the brand new laptops given away by starhub, etc as freebies) or continue with your P3.

    FYI, the PS3 may have a good GPU, but that has NOTHING to do with photoshop!! Photoshop is mainly CPU and RAM bound, NOT GPU. and on a PS3, the CPU and RAM are not that powerful by today's standards. Also, since they are Cell processors, any software you run (like Linux with GIMP) would require to be compiled for Cell.

    Anyone who tells you to get a high-end graphics card for photoshop is basically clueless.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 22nd February 2013 at 04:06 PM.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Use Sony PS3 to edit raw files. Can?

    lol nice try.

    if can my PS3 won't be collecting dust.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Use Sony PS3 to edit raw files. Can?

    i can process RAW files using integrated graphics card of my board & 1gb RAM without any problem, albeit slow sometimes but it does the job

    but ps3 for post-processing? sure as hell aint gonna work, its a gaming device not workstation

  5. #5

    Default Re: Use Sony PS3 to edit raw files. Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    lol nice try.

    if can my PS3 won't be collecting dust.
    I use mine as a blu-ray player.
    Alpha

  6. #6

    Default Re: Use Sony PS3 to edit raw files. Can?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    On the older PS3 OSs, you could install a Linux runtime. But that ability has been removed. So, quick answer: Nope. Either fork out the $$$ for a faster laptop (you can get good ones for as low as 400, look on HWZ for all the brand new laptops given away by starhub, etc as freebies) or continue with your P3.

    FYI, the PS3 may have a good GPU, but that has NOTHING to do with photoshop!! Photoshop is mainly CPU and RAM bound, NOT GPU. and on a PS3, the CPU and RAM are not that powerful by today's standards. Also, since they are Cell processors, any software you run (like Linux with GIMP) would require to be compiled for Cell.

    Anyone who tells you to get a high-end graphics card for photoshop is basically clueless.
    Thanks a lot man!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Use Sony PS3 to edit raw files. Can?

    Mustang, u raised a valid qn abt the possibility of using ps3's graphics to run photoshop. So, just ignore the comments abt graphic card not being able to aid photoshopping.

    Photoshop CS6 GPU FAQ

    "Mercury Graphics Engine

    The Mercury Graphics Engine (MGE) represents features that use video card processor, or GPU, acceleration. In Photoshop CS6, this new engine delivers near-instant results when editing with key tools such as Liquify, Warp, Lighting Effects, and the Oil Paint filter. The new MGE delivers unprecedented responsiveness for a fluid feel as you work.

    MGE is new to Photoshop CS6 and uses both the OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. It does not use the proprietary CUDA framework from nVidia.

    MGE requires a supported video card and updated driver. If you do not have a supported card, performance is degraded. In most cases, the acceleration is lost and the feature runs in the normal CPU mode. However, there are some features that don't work without a supported video card."

    This is not new to the recent cs6. Since cs4, photoshop could already take advantage of the gpu on graphic card to accelerate its functions.

    Anyway back to ur ps3 qn, its easier for u to just upgrade ur pc to run photoshop.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devilry View Post
    Mustang, u raised a valid qn abt the possibility of using ps3's graphics to run photoshop. So, just ignore the comments abt graphic card not being able to aid photoshopping.

    Photoshop CS6 GPU FAQ

    "Mercury Graphics Engine

    The Mercury Graphics Engine (MGE) represents features that use video card processor, or GPU, acceleration. In Photoshop CS6, this new engine delivers near-instant results when editing with key tools such as Liquify, Warp, Lighting Effects, and the Oil Paint filter. The new MGE delivers unprecedented responsiveness for a fluid feel as you work.

    MGE is new to Photoshop CS6 and uses both the OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. It does not use the proprietary CUDA framework from nVidia.

    MGE requires a supported video card and updated driver. If you do not have a supported card, performance is degraded. In most cases, the acceleration is lost and the feature runs in the normal CPU mode. However, there are some features that don't work without a supported video card."

    This is not new to the recent cs6. Since cs4, photoshop could already take advantage of the gpu on graphic card to accelerate its functions.

    Anyway back to ur ps3 qn, its easier for u to just upgrade ur pc to run photoshop.
    Do note the specific text... it's for specific filters, requires specifically supported gpus and requires the correct drivers. In other words, only *specific* filters will get acceleration in *some* hardware. But it will not boost overall Photoshop performance at all, especially not in the more commonly used tools such as overlay, cloning, etc etc

    So, the comments should not be ignored at all, and instead I'd just not worry about 2 or 3 out of dozens of filters not being accelerated. I would be far more concerned with the 99% of Photoshop I *do* use instead of the few filters I don't or rarely use (which run perfectly smoothly in cpu-only mode anyway)
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default

    There is definitely potential to tap on gpu power for computer applications, but definitely not in the form of ps3, a device made for gaming.
    hi

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •