Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to take good Chingay Parade photos

Default Re: How to take good Chingay Parade photos

Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    I have a ticket to a Chingay Parade at a neighbourhood hardcourt on this weekend.

As the night is dark, with the colorful and bright dancers and trucks, what should be a good set up for a DSLR to take good photos. I can't use low speed, long exposure as the dancers are moving.

1. What lens to use ? Wide or tele ?
    2. What mode of the settings ? M or P ?
    3. ISO ?
    4. Shutter ?
    5. Exposure ?
    6. Tripod ?

Thanks in advance.
    I only roughly look through all the posts. As mentioned previously by others, there is no "magic formula".

Photography requires light. Light can be natual or artifical or both.

Since it is at night, you can depend only on artifical light.

The chances is that the light is dim. So most likely, you may require one OR more of the following:
    1. Lens that allows a lot of light to "flow" intot the camera. In technical term, you need a fast lens (f/2.8 and below).
    2. Camera body with high ISO ability. Most new cameras have relative good ISO ability. To know your camera ISO ability, try to Google and read the reviews.
    3. Flash
    4. Tripod? Depends. For Chingay parade, if you are moving around. It may not be a good choice.

Ultimately, it really depends what you want to achieve. I think catchlights's suggestion is good. National library has some good books.

Night photography is challenging. If you don't get it right the first time, try again.

Most important, have fun
    Last edited by qING; 21st February 2013 at 02:14 PM.

Chingay was over. Can to share your photos?
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    Chingay was over. Can to share your photos?
    My ticket to the Chingay is not the main show at the Pit Building, but at my neighborhood on this Saturday. Would love to show, so that seniors can provide some pointers to the shoots. However need to take some decent one first before posting.

Like all said, this is a trial and error shooting, depends on a lot of variable parameters, and everyone shoot differently. If fail, try agin next year.

My ticket to the Chingay is not the main show at the Pit Building, but at my neighborhood on this Saturday. Would love to show, so that seniors can provide some pointers to the shoots. However need to take some decent one first before posting.
    Like all said, this is a trial and error shooting, depends on a lot of variable parameters, and everyone shoot differently. If fail, try agin next year.
    You learn from mistakes, so post whatever you have done. It's important that you recognize all shortfalls. Hiding them in the closet won't help you at all.
    You can start again next days with anything that happens under similar lighting conditions, there is no need to wait till next year.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You learn from mistakes, so post whatever you have done. It's important that you recognize all shortfalls. Hiding them in the closet won't help you at all.
    You can start again next days with anything that happens under similar lighting conditions, there is no need to wait till next year.

Hi blueblood, you really took me by surprised simply bcoz you mentioned...(those highlighted in 'Red' - in your posting)!!

Well, all I wanna say is for anyone who wants to really learn and able to 'pick-up' more(...in term of photography knowledge or whatsoever...hahahaa...) should all the more avoid of being afraid/too-paiseh<==>too shy to presents/showcase their shot/s, that are not so &/or not good at all...!!

Yes, and agreed with bro Octarine...on "why must wait for a whole year round(one year of time wasted in waiting...)to practice?? Action-Now and in no time, I believe you'd be able to not just have successful or more successful-shots way before next Chingay_2014, but yes, and that's you'd be able to have very nice Christmas-Decor-Orchard-shots liao-lor...hohoho...heheheee...!!!

Anyway, all you need now is just that little bit of change in your mind-set/concept in your whatever Learning-Journey, bro and all the Best...!!
    Last edited by blueskye168; 27th February 2013 at 09:36 AM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Just try what others have suggested here, Chingay Parade is here to stay and you will have other opportunities to try again, even for other events with low ambient lighting. More importantly, you should have an idea of what you want to capture and work from there. Doing anything with an end goal in mind helps to focus your learning. If you go there thinking to "get a few snaps" you will get a few snaps. You can look at fiftymm99's recent work on Flickr to get an idea of what you can expect: Flickr: fiftymm99's Photostream

Cheers!

Thanks for all your encouragment. This weekend is the only Chingay shoot that I will be taking, that's what I meant for shooting Chingay will be next year . No no no, of course, I would stop here. There are other opportunities for night shoots.

OK, I will try to post some, as I know many are sincere and willing to share and teach.

Oh boy, fifitymm99's work is pro and impressive !

Thanks for all your encouragment. This weekend is the only Chingay shoot that I will be taking, that's what I meant for shooting Chingay will be next year . No no no, of course, I would stop here. There are other opportunities for night shoots.

OK, I will try to post some, as I know many are sincere and willing to share and teach.

Oh boy, fifitymm99's work is pro and impressive !

There are some posting on Chingay 2013, please view some of them from Reportage and Sports and Ready, Lights, Actions which will give you what to expect from the Chingay. Enjoy your shooting coming Saturday.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Last edited by blueblood; 3rd March 2013 at 06:00 PM.

The Chingay Parade is not the full one at the housing estate, but a Floats Parade.
    Please comment and advice.
    Help you post the image....

Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Help you post the image....
    Thank you very much.

Still can't figure out what steps have I missed.

Thank you very much.
    Still can't figure out what steps have I missed.
    Compare the tags. You have used the URL tag but instead you should use the IMG tag.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Compare the tags. You have used the URL tag but instead you should use the IMG tag.
    Got it. Thanks. Should be using the medium image instead of HTML code.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12