Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SEA Aquarium Lens Recommendation

Default Re: SEA Aquarium Lens Recommendation

Was there about 2 weeks back. All I had was my 18-55mm kit lens, 100mm macro, st-e2 wireless transmitter and a speedlite 430exii.

Few shots from there:

Ambient light:

IMG_9409 by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

With flash:

IMG_9459 by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

IMG_9504 by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

IMG_9525 by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

Focusing is a big problem through the thick arcylic.
    Last edited by Schmike; 21st February 2013 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spawnx View Post
    You don't need flash or LED lights, the tanks are more than sufficiently lit!

Check out this album, all shot using ambient light ---> S.E.A. Aquarium by SQ Photography

I used 35mm, 100L and 135L, alternatively 24-70 & 70-200 should do the job too.

Most important thing, remember to align your camera angle perpendicular to the glass to avoid severe optical diffraction (basically blur, distorted images).

great photos man!

Maybe I will ask in another manner. For those who have been to the SEA aquarium, what is the working space like? How big are the fish tanks? How wide are the corridors? Are the fishes big or small? Thanks. I know 24-70mm is a safe range. So deciding on the 2nd lens.

Thanks Edwin. Those are nice images.

Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh View Post
    Maybe I will ask in another manner. For those who have been to the SEA aquarium, what is the working space like? How big are the fish tanks? How wide are the corridors? Are the fishes big or small? Thanks. I know 24-70mm is a safe range. So deciding on the 2nd lens.
    There is enough space for most focal length but the crowd will mostly be stuck near the tank. You will have to work close to the tank. Size of the fishes ranges from 1-2 inches to as big as ~5-6ft++.

Bring along a macro lens if you have it.

Thanks Edwin. Those are nice images.
    Can be better. My shots are taken with a 450D. So the lighting there is not optimum for me to work without flash. Furthermore, I'm used to using flash for aquatic shots. Flash can also help to reduce reflections if angled properly.
    Last edited by Schmike; 21st February 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear2011 View Post
    great photos man!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Thks77 View Post
    Will bringing an led video light help ?
    sure if u want hot spot in picture and may morevreflection issues.

Have fun and not to worry about what equipments to bring
    Shots done with a G15 without using flash

I have 10 lenses. Mainly 2.8 n 1.4 so I am well covered. I suspected that i need CPL filter so thanks for confirming that.
    I need to know What focal length are feasible. Is above 70mm too long? Is 14-24 too wide, ....is 105 macro useful? Plan to only bring 2 lens.
    Headache of having too many lens. I'm glade that i only have half of it that covers most range and condition. My pick would be 24-70mm.
    Last edited by subzero; 28th February 2013 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shelomoh
    There is ample space. Just hv to be patient to get the right spots, especially for the smaller reef tanks. 24-70 f2.8 n 100m f2.8 macro shd suffice for a FF. As for avoiding reflections, i carefully placed my lens up against the glass and shot away. That took care of any reflections and CPL was not required but composition will be limited tho. Up the ISO as high as possible to get higher shutter speed. Cos u cant really pan when the lens is up against the glass and the fishes swim pretty darn fast. And no flash please. Dont wanna blind the fishes ya!

My 2 cents worth. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmike View Post
    Can be better. My shots are taken with a 450D. So the lighting there is not optimum for me to work without flash. Furthermore, I'm used to using flash for aquatic shots. Flash can also help to reduce reflections if angled properly.
    Can you elaborate a bit more about angling the flash?
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit more about angling the flash?

That requires lots of trial and error. Once you get the hang of it, you can get it within few shots or even with 1 shot.

I believe you already know that having a flash mounted on the camera, you will end up with reflection of yourself and the flash in your shots.

I shall not go off topic and talk about other kinds of tanks/conditions. For the tanks at S.E.A, what I do is I hold the flash with my arm stretched out above my camera and tilt it about 30-60deg downwards/sideways. Some shots I will hold the flash on the arcylic or even hold it above the water over the arcylic. You will have to gauge at what angle will the light reflect back towards you and avoid that angle so that you can cut down the reflections from the front of the tank or even totally avoid the reflections in front of the tank.

There is some reflection of the flash for the below shot. Take a look at the angle of the shadow casted for the silverish fish (Hydrocynus goliath aka Goliath African Tiger Fish). You will get what I mean. The flash was placed somewhere above the "flare" area.

IMG_9607 by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

A better example will be this shot with the shadow below the fish at an angle without any reflection off the arcylic:

IMG_9505 by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr
    Last edited by Schmike; 2nd March 2013 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmike View Post
    That requires lots of trial and error. Once you get the hang of it, you can get it within few shots or even with 1 shot.

I believe you already know that having a flash mounted on the camera, you will end up with reflection of yourself and the flash in your shots.

I shall not go off topic and talk about other kinds of tanks/conditions. For the tanks at S.E.A, what I do is I hold the flash with my arm stretched out above my camera and tilt it about 30-60deg downwards/sideways. Some shots I will hold the flash on the arcylic or even hold it above the water over the arcylic. You will have to gauge at what angle will the light reflect back towards you and avoid that angle so that you can cut down the reflections from the front of the tank or even totally avoid the reflections in front of the tank.

There is some reflection of the flash for the below shot. Take a look at the angle of the shadow casted for the silverish fish (Hydrocynus goliath aka Goliath African Tiger Fish). You will get what I mean. The flash was placed somewhere above the "flare" area.
    Thanks for the reply.

Given the light lost due to reflection/defraction/etc... do you use TTL metering or manual exposure?
    An artist who realizes there is a supreme force and works gladly as an apprentice under heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth67C View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Given the light lost due to reflection/defraction/etc... do you use TTL metering or manual exposure?
    Manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Verilost19 View Post
    Have fun and not to worry about what equipments to bring
    Shots done with a G15 without using flash

Which camera mode did you used?

Quote Originally Posted by chicken chop View Post
    Which camera mode did you used?
    I think is P mode or alternating with M mode

I cant remember as i have 2 equipment - G15 and 550 with 18-135mm lens

Hi bros, are we allowed to bring tripod/monopod into the aquarium? Thanks.

Hi all! Just got back from my first visit to the SEA Aquarium today with my 6D and 24-105. Bump up your ISO and get the brightest lens you have. AF Assist Lights are pretty irritating, especially to other photographers, so I usually turn mine off. Don't know if they're allowed, but no tripods or monopods please (Barely ample walking room near to the smaller tanks). Stray lights from clamoring tourists' handphones, AF Assist lights and on-camera flashes was a problem. The crowd was pretty bad today. :P Be prepared to take quick shots from awkward angles.

Shot in P mode with +2/3, ISO to auto (limited to 25600). No filters.

Last edited by joNWKng; 23rd July 2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added information
    Jonathan

I was at the aquarium recently and IIRC flash photography is not allowed. Not sure if its a blanket ban on all the exhibits or just certain ones, like the dolphins.

Quote Originally Posted by esoeij View Post
    I was at the aquarium recently and IIRC flash photography is not allowed. Not sure if its a blanket ban on all the exhibits or just certain ones, like the dolphins.
    Only for some exhibit flash photography is not allowed..
    There will have signboards and sometimes staff standing there to ensure..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast