Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Fake medium format?

  1. #1

    Default Fake medium format?

    Renoux

    This guy tells me that his square photos are NOT done by a medium format camera (I thought it he was using thr Holga or some TLR because of vignetting), but he says all the pics were done in digital.

    Any of u guys tried this?

  2. #2

    Default

    Hmm... starting to believe that most photos will look better with square framing... Any theory why rectangular pictures were adopted as a norm?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benedium
    Hmm... starting to believe that most photos will look better with square framing... Any theory why rectangular pictures were adopted as a norm?
    it's not the frame, it's how you use the frame

  4. #4

    Default

    All i know is that many fashion photographers use the square format to shoot because it's so much faster... don't have to choose between landscape & portrait. That's besides the point that medium format films are larger& give better quality prints.



    Quote Originally Posted by benedium
    Hmm... starting to believe that most photos will look better with square framing... Any theory why rectangular pictures were adopted as a norm?

  5. #5

    Default

    maybe most films and sensors are rectangular for more flexible post processing so designers can choose to crop down to a square or use the extra space. Am I making sense?

  6. #6

    Default

    okay, but this guy's work looks like it's "ACTUALLY" medium format & not digital...

    Look at this photo...

    http://www.deviantart.com/view/15914332/

    Quote Originally Posted by benedium
    maybe most films and sensors are rectangular for more flexible post processing so designers can choose to crop down to a square or use the extra space. Am I making sense?
    Last edited by imagine_orange; 24th March 2005 at 02:40 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    all around the world
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imagine_orange
    okay, but this guy's work looks like it's "ACTUALLY" medium format & not digital...

    Look at this photo...

    http://www.deviantart.com/view/15914332/

    how did you come to the conclusion that that picture was taken with a medium format??

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    I'd suggest it's been cropped square and a then PhotoShopped to produce the equivalent of light falloff (pseudo vignetting) in the corners. The clues are visible if you look hard enough. It's still a so so average shot though.
    Last edited by Ian; 25th March 2005 at 07:19 AM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    I'd suggest it's been cropped square and a then PhotoShopped to produce the equivalent of light falloff (pseudo vignetting) in the corners. The clues are visible if you look hard enough. It's still a so so average shot though.
    Hehe... I see the evidence you speak off....
    Think should be quite easy to have an action for this effect.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default

    Normally a uncropped medium format image are quite visible. This is one example scan full frame from a negative(totally no crop). Look at the 4 corners inside within the black border frame.



    Image was shot on RB67 Pro Sd using Fuji Black and White film. On a digital back, not all images have a gradual light fall off at the edge of the frame. This person fall off is just too obvious. All looks the same to me.
    Last edited by Pro Image; 26th March 2005 at 09:00 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •