Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A65 + SAL35f18 vs A99 + SAL50f14 / SAL28f28

Default A65 + SAL35f18 vs A99 + SAL50f14 / SAL28f28

hi guys, i am mainly taking photos of my baby of less than 1 yr old now. I bought A65 with SAL35f18 more than a yr ago (for holidays), which i find to be quite gd for taking baby photos, I pretty much use the same lens all the time, and i treasure the relatively handy-ness of A65 + a short lens (SAL35f18).

But sometimes i feel that the images (jpg of the RAW+jpg) aren't sharp, and quite noisy. Furthermore, the lens isn't wide enough, so many times i had to push myself back to the limits of the wall to compose a shot. I mainly use the spot center focusing, but i foresee using continuous focusing with a larger set of AF points when the kid starts to crawl / run about more. And i felt that A65's AF isn't fast/accurate enough sometimes, especially in the darker scenes.

Will I gain much by upgrading to A99 + SAL50f14 or SAL28f28 (which is better, or something else)? I have considered Canon 6D and Nikon d600, they r cheaper full frames, but i prefer shooting with LiveView (AF via LiveView for Canonikons are slow right?) and the ability to turn/fold the LCD (for shooting baby sleeping on the bed / crawling on the floor, for example.

Main requirements:
    - AF speed / accuracy via LiveView
    - Image quality (sharpness + noise level)
    - Size of the camera body + lens (a65+sal35f18 was fine for me, can't imagine a longer/heavier lens)
    - wider angle of view of the lens

Thank you!

Default Re: A65 + SAL35f18 vs A99 + SAL50f14 / SAL28f28

When the shots got "not sharp and quite noisy" what are your aperture and ISO settings?

I would suggest renting/borrowing a Sony 16-50 f/2.8 or a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 before buying a new lens/body.

The AF module in the A65 is actually quite excellent - if the light is so low that it struggles, pretty much any DSLR body will struggle as well. You could, of course, also switch to MF and use focus peaking...
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    When the shots got "not sharp and quite noisy" what are your aperture and ISO settings?

I would suggest renting/borrowing a Sony 16-50 f/2.8 or a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 before buying a new lens/body.

The AF module in the A65 is actually quite excellent - if the light is so low that it struggles, pretty much any DSLR body will struggle as well. You could, of course, also switch to MF and use focus peaking...
    Usually f2.8 in the room with curtains, coz f1.8's shallow DOF just doesn't cut it, 1 eye can be blur when the other is clear. I read that we shld use 2 stops above the min aperture value for sharpness at shallow DOF.

When in brighter areas, I will use f5.6 to achieve better sharpness. I use Aperture Priority mode, usually i will try for f2.8 when i want shallow DOF, and f5.6 or higher (until shutter speed is min 1/40).

iso is auto.

is the SAL1650 v sharp at f2.8? it's quite long leh... i prefer prime lens that's shorter

For sharpness, I would suggest 16-80 zeiss + flash if necessary going full frame for your kid is overkill.
    hi

With a fast moving kid, I am not gd enough to do MF haha... Is the AF on A65 lousier than A77 or A99?

it the lens, get the 16-50, it will blown all the abv combo for af accuracy
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

If u can use bounce flash f8-11 should solve it.

Not sure if ur 35f18 has f/b focusing issues. Set ur iso no higher than 800. I tend to use my a77 below 800 for better noise control vs details loss.

Change your focusing plane ie like taking typical portrait shots.

After all tats said, if ur lighting is bad, no lens can beat tat and only a99 with prime can give u 2-3 stops advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by sonialpha View Post

With a fast moving kid, I am not gd enough to do MF haha... Is the AF on A65 lousier than A77 or A99?
    Nope it isn't... but have you considered a bounce flash? Fyi, the 35MM is a portrait lens, as such the af motor was not really optimized for tracking focus. ;-)
    Alpha

wow, quite a few ppl recommend bounce flash, any model to recommend? is it better than led panel? do they serve different purposes?

so for faster and more accurate AF, what do u recommend?

wow, quite a few ppl recommend bounce flash, any model to recommend? is it better than led panel? do they serve different purposes?

so for faster and more accurate AF, what do u recommend?
    Quite different effect and purpose. You can get any of the sony 42 or 58 flashes.

The 16-50 has very fast af
    Alpha

Yup, a Sony 16-50mm + Flash will do you much more good than an A99 with 50mm + 28mm.

The 35mm F1.8 is good too, since 35mm or more is about the optimal focal length to use on babies on a crop camera.

Important Note: You need to be indoors with white ceiling to bounce or at least light neutral grey ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Edlet
    Yup, a Sony 16-50mm + Flash will do you much more good than an A99 with 50mm + 28mm.

The 35mm F1.8 is good too, since 35mm or more is about the optimal focal length to use on babies on a crop camera.

Important Note: You need to be indoors with white ceiling to bounce or at least light neutral grey ceiling.
    Flash is an awesome idea for babies! +1 Make sure your baby doesn't sleep and closes the eyes accidentally.

for bouncing flash, would it be harsh on his eyes?

I am thinking of getting a slim flash: HVL-F20AM : Flash : SLT & DSLR Accessories : Sony Singapore , coz my current a65+sal35f18 is quite small/light.

SAL1650 is a DT lens, next time if upgrade to FF, cannot use liao leh...

Is the A77 AF system better than A65?

SAL1650 is 8cm long lehz... not v portable, usually i just throw my a65+sal35f18 into my bag wif all the baby stuff...

Is the SAL1650 sharper than SAL35f18 at f2.8? got any test images from other websites?

Quote Originally Posted by sonialpha
    I think so. Switching on a bright bulb suddenly can hurt baby's eyes already and even if you bounce the flash it's already much stronger. Just saying I would be careful with babies.

Default Advice needed for baby/toddler photography

hi guys, i am mainly taking photos of my baby of less than 1 yr old now. I bought Sony A65 with SAL35f18 more than a yr ago (for holidays), which i find to be quite gd for taking baby photos, I pretty much use the same lens all the time, and i treasure the relatively handy-ness of A65 + a short prime lens (SAL35f18).

But sometimes i feel that the images (jpg of the RAW+jpg) aren't sharp, and quite noisy. Furthermore, the lens isn't wide enough, so many times i had to push myself back to the limits of the wall to compose a shot. I mainly use the spot center focusing, but i foresee using continuous focusing with a larger set of AF points when the kid starts to crawl / run about more. And i felt that A65's AF isn't fast/accurate enough sometimes, especially in the darker scenes.

I am considering to upgrade to a full frame, probably 6D, but i am not sure if it will suit my requirements. I prefer to shoot via LiveView because usually i can't afford to hold the camera body close to my face while attracting the baby's attention. How's the AF performance of 6D compared to its OVF? Currently there's no difference in speed for my A65 regardless whether i use LiveView or its EVF, so i do appreciate that, i cannot stand a slow AF on LiveView as the moments to capture usually last a split-second.

Main requirements:
    - AF speed / accuracy via LiveView
    - Image quality (sharpness + noise level)
    - Size of the camera body + lens (a65+sal35f18 was fine for me, can't imagine a longer/heavier lens)
    - wider angle of view of the lens

Would appreciate your advice on what body/lens i can get to achieve the above :-)

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ageha View Post
    I think so. Switching on a bright bulb suddenly can hurt baby's eyes already and even if you bounce the flash it's already much stronger. Just saying I would be careful with babies.
    This is a myth. It's also been discussed many many times, and even Agetan (who is a professional child photographer) has given his insights.
    Alpha

Y not have a paid child shoot by agetan? Besides learning u get lovely portraits too.

I am thinking of getting a slim flash: HVL-F20AM : Flash : SLT & DSLR Accessories : Sony Singapore , coz my current a65+sal35f18 is quite small/light.

SAL1650 is a DT lens, next time if upgrade to FF, cannot use liao leh...

Is the A77 AF system better than A65?

SAL1650 is 8cm long lehz... not v portable, usually i just throw my a65+sal35f18 into my bag wif all the baby stuff...

Is the SAL1650 sharper than SAL35f18 at f2.8? got any test images from other websites?
    The F20AM has VERY limited bounce capabilities. That's why I did not recommend it.

You want to talk about portable yet also talk about upgrading to FF? Decide what you want first. FF lenses only get bigger.

Sharpness wise, you won't notice a difference.
    Alpha

This is a myth. It's also been discussed many many times, and even Agetan (who is a professional child photographer) has given his insights.
    I couldn't care less what a "photographer" says about that. I rather ask a doctor.

Default Re: Advice needed for baby/toddler photography

Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast