Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: new zealand winter

  1. #1

    Default new zealand winter

    Hello peeps,

    Care to share your experiences. I never been to winter country. How is it like? What should I wear and is it cheaper to bought winter clothing over there?

  2. #2

    Default

    Look at the many travel sites like lonelyplanet, etc. There are many detailed descriptions of conditions and what to pack.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    I remembered the first time I travelled to a "cold' country, I do not know what to expect. I think this is what TS tried to ask.

    TS, as Rashkae mentioned, check the temperature and weather of the cities u r visiting. A mild 16C can becomes cold with chilly wind. So without details of your itineries, no one can tell you what you need.

  4. #4

    Default Re: new zealand winter

    meow. let's get back to winter time.

    Firstly
    what kind of winter?
    - the kind with a lot of snow? or the kind with gentle snow ? (eg, Siberia vs California )

    Will you experience high winds also ? (windproof jacket critical)

    Lastly, if you can, get a fur lined coat. Sorry I cannot lend you mine. it seems to be permanently affixed to my skin.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  5. #5
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: new zealand winter

    thread moved to Travel section

    comments deleted
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  6. #6

    Default Re: new zealand winter

    Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    I remembered the first time I travelled to a "cold' country, I do not know what to expect. I think this is what TS tried to ask.

    TS, as Rashkae mentioned, check the temperature and weather of the cities u r visiting. A mild 16C can becomes cold with chilly wind. So without details of your itineries, no one can tell you what you need.
    yea... I do wish to over-wear, buy or bring too much. So I need seek experience from you. Ah left out the detail, I will be travelling south island, and move around and stay through winter.

    I have tight budget, so is it cheaper to buy winter clothes there or here. So far I see the price tags here, will be bursting my wallet

  7. #7

    Default Re: new zealand winter

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    meow. let's get back to winter time.

    Firstly
    what kind of winter?
    - the kind with a lot of snow? or the kind with gentle snow ? (eg, Siberia vs California )

    Will you experience high winds also ? (windproof jacket critical)

    Lastly, if you can, get a fur lined coat. Sorry I cannot lend you mine. it seems to be permanently affixed to my skin.
    that guy already said, it is NZ winter lah.... so many post no relevant information.

    I have been to NZ South Island during winter. I think NZ winter is actually quite mild contrary to common perception. I used to think it will be bloody cold but temperature at ground level rarely fall below freezing. I don't think there is frequent snow at ground level too...

    All you need is just a good waterproof jacket with a hood. That is assuming you are staying at ground level and not going mountain climbing or skiing etc.

  8. #8

    Default Re: new zealand winter

    It really depends on which part of NZ you intend to go. South Island is rather cold especially in the mountain & coastal region. North island is rather warmer but it can be quite chilly during winter months. I have stayed in NZ for a few years. I find it to be quite cold.
    Most of my winter clothing are from US online store. I find it more value and trendy and it really keeps warm.

  9. #9

    Default Re: new zealand winter

    Quote Originally Posted by theo505 View Post
    It really depends on which part of NZ you intend to go. South Island is rather cold especially in the mountain & coastal region. North island is rather warmer but it can be quite chilly during winter months. I have stayed in NZ for a few years. I find it to be quite cold.
    Most of my winter clothing are from US online store. I find it more value and trendy and it really keeps warm.
    agreed. The mountains and coastal regions can be quite cold (due to the winds) but ground level at places like Queenstown is actually not as bad as I thought as it is around 2-5 degC.

    I think for Jacket, best get a zipped up one as air cannot seep in. Hood is essential for protection against wind/rain/snow.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Delhi,Inida
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: new zealand winter

    winter with wind you have to be more careful and you should carry heavy jackets. bec they guise habitual you wont find winter cloths as you want....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •