Thread: m.z 40-150mm a good lens?

Default m.z 40-150mm a good lens?

I have a 40-150mm lens. Just wondering is it worth keeping to use or should i just sell and get a 45mm/60mm??
    Now confused about what I want..

Default Re: m.z 40-150mm a good lens?

It's a surprisingly good kit lenses. Very useful if you go to the zoo. However, the 45mm is an excellent lenses, especially if you want to take very pleasing portraits.

What do you think? Since you have the lens and I assume you have used it, so how to find it?

I have one, and had taken huge number of shots with it. No complains at all... and would not dream of selling it for any other lenses.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Yes I do have it but didnt really use it cause my son just came out... and 40-150 abit far to take his picture for now, yes i intend to visit the zoo or bird park soon. any advise??
    Currently have both 14-42mm and 40-150mm. Currently using omd em5
    Last edited by Jiaweii; 17th February 2013 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiaweii View Post
    Yes I do have it but didnt really use it cause my son just came out... and 40-150 abit far to take his picture for now, yes i intend to visit the zoo or bird park soon. any advise??
    For Zoo and birdpark, I can stick the tele (55-250, almost your 40-150 equivalent) lens to my camera and not change it for the whole day... But I doubt you can do so without changing to your 14-42.. Probably the reason being you may have to take family shots where 40mm (on MFT) isn't what I would call wide...

And pray that you have good weather (nice big sun) on that day, f5.6 isn't very large especially on dimmer days (heavy overcast, or want to rain but didn't rain weathers). When I last visited the zoo (in the afternoon, bad weather), using f5.6, I shot at 1600-3200 quite constantly...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

For zoo shots, I have use the 40-150mm all the time... and it had not left my OMD during the visit. However sometime I wished for something further... like a 300mm lens (a Pana 100-300mm or an Oly 75-300mm lens would be very good. But a 40-150mm would do just fine).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Congrats to your newborn!

Outdoor, good light, excellent lens.
    In outdoor, to get the shallow depth of field (blur background) for nice portraits, use smallest F number, longest focal length (150mm), stand close to subject, put them with a background that's far away. Test this lens again outdoors, might change your view of this lens.

Indoor, low light, this lens would struggle due to the focal length & aperture, unless you use flash/bump up iso which EM5 is pretty capable. You should use it more indoors to know what you lack, is it the focal length or/and brightness (aperture)? If it's focal length that you are uncomfy with, it wouldn't help with 45/60.
    Last edited by wonglp; 18th February 2013 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks, Yea problem is light... Bump Iso up alittle but i dont use flash on my baby cause i scare affect his sight in the future..

wise man tell me:

ask not what quality your lens is
    ask yourself if you have the ability to push this lens to its limit!
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人