Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 691011

Thread: Petition urging the United Nations to reject Japan's bid for a permanent seat on the

The scope is on Japan. Japan and its contention for a permanent seat in the UN.

Some have brought China onto the table. US even. Russia, etc. Which to me is not part of the equation. You include all these foreign elements in and what happens is that the picture gets muddled. (Which coincidently is excatly what has happened here.) We are not discussing US's, Russia's, China's policies and past actions and what are their rights to sit in the UN. That's another topic altogether. It's OT guys!

Why are we contesting Japan's perm seat? If world history from donkey years ago do not answer that qn, what relevance is there? If someone would like to carry on 'modern history political climates or whatever' in an indepth discussion pls start a new thread. I really don't understand why there is a need to drag in other countries. Esp about the iraq war... it's exciting talk but hardly in response to the thread title.

And yup, disagree civily please. It spoils the literature otherwise.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 31st March 2005 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    First off, I don't appreciate the snide comment. I was merely trying to bring a little context into a suffocatingly narrow discussion. If you can't see that, that's your problem.
    Neither do we, "
    So many people jumping in to support the mother land.....no wait, we aren't citizens of China, are we?? With all the sycophanthic drum-beating it is really hard to tell. "

Next, aren't you guys being a little arbitrary in defining what is "modern" history that still affects the current political atmosphere? Why 60 years? Why not 10, or 30, or 150? That's the problem you see, you pick and choose only the points that support YOUR worldview. That's what I mean by BALANCE, or rather, the lack of it.
    If you see the context of history we have taken from, current state of history effects from the modern world. The last 100 years would have been of most direct and most impact on the way we are now. If we have the problem you mentioned, you are suffering from exactly the same issue as fearing a rising China, as we from Japan's military past coming back.

If we have agreed to disagree, then I'd appreciate some civility.
    No issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    If you see the context of history we have taken from, current state of history effects from the modern world. The last 100 years would have been of most direct and most impact on the way we are now. If we have the problem you mentioned, you are suffering from exactly the same issue as fearing a rising China, as we from Japan's military past coming back.
    Exactly! Well rebutt! Maybe we can be someone else in future and speculate for "sure event" to happen in near future and then forgive what the chinese are probably going to do later... why not?? Please forgive China in 100 yrs' times! or maybe we can forgve them even they do not apolognize in future..

Perhaps its time to end the debate on the issue. Let's respect all views and opinions and no egos harmed. A good exercise on the grey matter! Pad on the back of all who posted their views!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 691011