Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: creating night scenes (those very bluish tint)?

Hrm, this is tough, but I'll probably layer out the face, then play around with the Hue/Saturation and Color Balance. Can't get exactly the LOTR effect tho.

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    Actually the skin tone is also blue... Think Just a flat blue filter/WB and a tad of desaturation of the original pic So that the reds don't burst thru the blue... Maybe i'll try when I have the time...

Default Ok, I had some time...

Well here you can see the original which I used to start, as well as the completed and the LOTR pic side by side for easy comparison.
    What I did was:

Did a Level on base image, darkening the midtones for more shadows to achieve a more convincing Hollywood midnight image.

Adjustment layer: Saturation/Hue -> Saturation - 25
    Had to do this to desaturate the colours a little which was enhanced by the my lazy simple Levels command above.

Adjustment layer: Photofilter -> Cooling filter (82) - 55%
    Choosen this image mainly due to the white top (yeah i know stupid wire sticking out of my GF's head, lazy to clone stamp it out )... I wanted something to match colour to Gandalf's white robes. Using my eyes and OSX's digital colourmeter, I came to the 55% for the filter.

TADAA: The completed image:

Well, ok my GF is quite fair, don't have that red face of Gandalf

thanks Flare, it's more or less close to that effect

thanks to the rest for the help too

Did a quik test lah,using PS photo filter, and a simple curve adjustment.
    Not sure if this is what u want?

http://img125.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...869nite0jp.jpg

Opps, my bad...Tink thats not what u wanted......paisay..
    Just Ignore me,haha...

actually I think for the LOTR film, they used different levels of blue for different scenes to portray different lvl of 'darkness'. In the 2 towers, during the orcs running away with Pinpin and merry, it was blue-er than say scene where the the dusk is breaking etc.

Another thing is that they shot with the blue filter in mind. I think it gives better ambience with slightly under exposed images compared to 'properly' or overexposed ones. And large areas of blown highlights and lack of shadows like my image doesn't really cut... The mind is like, hey this is a dark scene, but why is the highlights blown in that area...

And of course the warmness of the original image will also greatly affect the amount of blue needed. So to make batch processing easier, you may wanna set your camera to a fixed white balance so that the amount of blue will work for every pic...
    Last edited by Flare; 4th April 2005 at 01:05 PM.

And the winner is... FLARE!!

That's the closest and most comprehensive answer so far!

*clap* *clap* *clap*

* togu can't wait to go home try try...

BAH.... I'm using Photoshop 7. Don't have that photo filter thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by togu
    BAH.... I'm using Photoshop 7. Don't have that photo filter thingy.
    -_-"

Ha Ha... Okay maybe when I reach home and is free, I'll see if there's away to do it without the photo filter step. It's possible, but think there'll be slightly more steps and tweaking involve...

Okay, this is just a quick job over dinner at BK and on the train ride back home after a movie...

Used your famous pigeon feeder pic...

The main thing would be the:

Adjustment layer -> Colour Balance
    Blue : + 20
    Green : +10
    for everything, i.e. Shadows, Highlight and midtone (screen shot only showed midtone)
    Well, you'll have to play around with this depending on amount of blue-green-ness you want and the warmness of the original image. And this time round, I was trying more to match the skin tone's overall feel (yeah not very mathematical) to the Gandalf's pic instead of trying to match the clothes (Gandalf's clothes looks brighter becos it's reflective blowing some highlights).

And to enhance the effect to make it more believable, wat I did was:
    Cropped! Without the pigeons and less of the background, well i.e. the bright parts... As I mentioned, bright areas don't seems to work well with this tone.

Used the saturation adjustment layer to increase lightness (brightens + reduce contrast) and at a tad of saturation to counter the effect of the reduced the contrast. (Unarthodox perhaps, well, my DI are all self taught )

Masked the big bright background (it's a truck) and copied onto another layer (pardon the poor masking, rough and hasty work with only my ibook's trackpad). Darken using levels, and followed by playing with lightness and desaturation so that it's not so bright and does not attract too much attention. I played with lightness as well because just desaturatinng gives me a lot of dark/black areas which seems to compete with the subject for attention. With this changes of the background, I think it gives the picture more depth as well. If I had time, I may had tried further masking the big white blob (think it's the blown road) and grey it...

Well, hope you like this...

There's something about the beard...
    Singapore version of Gandalf???

Hrm.... this is what I normally do, but the result is terrible. Gotta keep trying.

thanks flare, u did it again u da ps expert

Quote Originally Posted by togu
    Hrm.... this is what I normally do, but the result is terrible. Gotta keep trying.
    Hahaha, just tweak and tweak loh... Using the digital colour meter in OSX, I agak-agak that the filter used is blue green, with blue value twice of geen value... then next is just trial and error...

The thing is for cooling of warm images etc, usually have to tweak the greens in addition to blue.

And me not PS expert lah... Most of my methods unarthodox one... Just play with it a lot and learn from other CSer when meeting up... A good eye for colour helps, and if not (as for my case), some digital help like some colour reading program or just the dropper tool would be helpful.

edit: But sadly my photography skill sux... hahaha...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12