Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ban smoking at Coffee Shop n pub = worst?

Tho i hate people smoke and blow infront of me . But something i must i agree is there we must spare a thoughts for them as the goverment is restricting more place into non-smoke areas until one day they are going to hide and smoke in the gents?

Quote Originally Posted by Clark75
    That's why I always choose the packs with the 'family' and 'man on hospital' bed' ones. Some of my friends have switched to using cigarette holders too.

But it's true lah, the high taxes have forced some to switch to cheaper brands and some to quit altogether.

For me, I'm alternating between cigarettes and nicotine gums (which are actually quite expensive).
    u will find that those "family" pic ones are always in high demand.... hehehe
    cigarette holders do not help very much when u still hve to face the cigarette box when u are opening them.

since u are already on nicotine gums, might as well stick to that and try cuttin down on nicotine intakes.. sometimes it's juz habitual thingy, not really addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by dolpjki
    since u are already on nicotine gums, might as well stick to that and try cuttin down on nicotine intakes.. sometimes it's juz habitual thingy, not really addiction.
    No lah, different people (smokers) react differently to nicotine deprivation. For me, I've tried everything. From nicotine patches to nicotine gums (many years ago) while I was in Australia.

First the nicotine patches... I got a prescription from my GP and bought it from the pharmacist. Went home and read the instructions. Since it is a 24hr patch, it said that the side effect might be 'very vivid dreams'! I thought I was in for a damn good time tonight! But then, I actually dreamt about monsters trying to eat me! I know, these kinds of dreams are usually dreamt only by kids. But even when I manage to wake up, I was kind of confuse whether it was reality or not!

For nicotine gums, just too expensive for a student then. I think it was something like AU$35 for 24 piece. Don't know lah, can't remember. But now back on it again because got a bit more money. Also, my wife is pregnant, so die die must also quit before baby comes out!

Just my story to share with all of you. To all those quitting, Best of Luck!

well... when everything else cant work, go on cold turkey.
    painful as it is, it is one of the fastest most successful way of quitting.
    after stoppin, the next tough obstacle is "how to stop urself from buyin another ciggy again"

Smokers, no one can stop you, this is a free country, it's your own money. You smoke, go broke, fall sick, suffer and die it's your own problem. But don't let others (including your own family members ) pay the price for your bad habits.

Leave the smoke aside, those tables in hawker centre are full of cigarette ash, with fans blowing, the ash land on your food, how do you feel
    And the floor with cigarette buds everywhere.....

Next time thinking of taking some picture and make a complain. Who is the right authority to lodge the complain ? It's in a HDB block.

Quote Originally Posted by Caussway
    Leave the smoke aside, those tables in hawker centre are full of cigarette ash, with fans blowing, the ash land on your food, how do you feel

Next time thinking of taking some picture and make a complain. Who is the right authority to lodge the complain ? It's in a HDB block.
    And what abt those who litter? throw things down the flat? spit all over the place? dogs owners who don't clean up? smokers or non-smokers, there'll always be a55holes. You going to take photos of them all? Or do you discrimate to smokers only, if that's the case, how different are you from them?

I dunno too, do we feel that if smokers discriminate against non smokers by polluting the air we should do like wise and discriminate against smokers? Two wrongs doesn't make a right.

I used to enjoy smoking, gives me solace. But then I got conscious about my surrondings. I don't like my close friends, love ones and people nearby breath in my dirty habit. I didn't like to go meetings and have my colleagues bear with the smell. It just wasn't right. But that's just me.

I'm a non smoker. But if really ban smoking in coffeeshops and pubs then I'm sure these places can close down due to no business.

Smokers, no one can stop you, this is a free country, it's your own money. You smoke, go broke, fall sick, suffer and die it's your own problem. But don't let others (including your own family members ) pay the price for your bad habits.

What a load of crap! You already said that this is a free country. It is like taking a stone and smashing it against your own feet.

If it is littering, than it is a different matter. You dun condamn all smokers. They are also human. It is a bit like being a racist.

Very nice. *clap clap*.

It's not exactly a 'free' country. But it is our money and our choice. Thanks for pointing out the whole chain of events which is caused by smoking. I guess all non-smokers like you will never go broke, fall sick, suffer and die. I guess it's a no brainer what decision everyone should adopt.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

As said before, you think smokers do not know the health risks involved with the habit? It's not an issue of 'Yes I want to quit so I shall quit'. If it was there will not be such a thing called addiction.

Who in the world smokes and flicks ash on the table? Even if there was ash it would be on the floor, before the 'fan blew it onto your food'. As for the littering of cigarette butts, do you not see tissue paper, empry drink cans, advertistment flyers on the ground as well? 'Wah this person anyhow leave his tissue on the floor, what if I contract SARS.' Anything which can be thrown will be thrown, not just cigarette butts. It's human laziness to dispose of litter in an improper manner. The definition of litter does not encompass cigarette butts only.

People could be more considerate in disposal of ash and butts, usually into empty drink cans or ask trays with a bit of water so the 'fan won't blew the ash onto your food'. They could also pick up after their dogs have defecated on the ground, or not leave pieces of old furniture/clothes/misc crap at the void deck pre-Chinese New Year.

You can complain to HDB, Town Council, URA, your GRC, community centre, The Government, Police. Please be reasonable la. Why don't you take pictures of people who drive in bus lanes, change lanes without signalling, spit, jay walk, litter other items etc etc. I urge you to make better use of your camera and photography skills, and not to embark on such impetuous vigilante acts.
    Last edited by mr_jason; 24th March 2005 at 03:36 AM.

I got a better suggestion...

Ask the gahmen to enforce a new law...
    "All smokers when smoking MUST wear ultra-high heels"...
    Ahhh... then no more smoke in our faces liao...
    Easier to identify smokers from non-smokers also..

I'm not going to debate about the harmful effects of smoking , but would like to point out that normal people do fall sick ,suffer and die also. Just like to let you know also , not all smokers blow smoke into non-smokers face . Most of the time, I'm smoking away from the crowd , hiding behind the building , round the corner ,thanks to some people who dun have any respect for smokers and human rights just because they don't like it and ............... so how do you feel now when I started condemning non-smokers ? It's a vice versa thingy u know ?

Hahaha... I used to be one of those who fanned the air in disgust when a smoker in the front row of the National Stadium lights up. (Yes, I was one of those self-righteous idiot a long time ago). Then getting older, I thought I should not condemn without trying a cigarette. BIG MISTAKE!

But I do understand the annoyance smokers can have on non-smokers. However, do understand that it is not just a habit but an addiction.

Chewing gum was banned because of some inconsiderate people with very little social etiquette, but was that a right move? Of course chewing gum never really hurt anyone. But banning something because of a few inconsiderate people, to me, is not the right move.

So I repeat my calls for smoking sections. And after raising taxes work on reducing total smokers, the smoking areas can then be reduced and finally closed; maybe in 10 yrs, when cigarette prices are $35 per pack.

Btw, in Singapore we pick up smoking because we have to quit chewing gums.

Govt should approach in a better manner to prevent smokers. Not like banning them from smoking here and there.

Like encourage them to smoke less n to maybe, quit? Or they tell that they are burning away their $ on smoking rather than showing them the side effect of smoking.

We, human, got our own rights and so, no one can force us what to do. When we told by other not to do this and that, we want to do MORE! Maybe some nice way could make us don't do it

Apart from smoking, those air we inhale also not clean. What to worry when 1's life is fated? I think if Govt keep increasing the price, I rather they ban smoking totally. One day, a news might come out saying that the dad brought $ for smoking and in huge debt (+ medical) and kill the whole family
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

I smoke in any open air places I want. Tell me not to and I'll shove me cig butt up ur butt...

In-considerate? like hei, there are concealed aircon places tat we smoker leave for u non-smoke to enjoy the fresh air...

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM
    Apart from smoking, those air we inhale also not clean. What to worry when 1's life is fated? I think if Govt keep increasing the price, I rather they ban smoking totally. One day, a news might come out saying that the dad brought $ for smoking and in huge debt (+ medical) and kill the whole family
    Very true! This might very well happen one day. We should now ban smoking and promote gambling instead. (Hey wait a minute... we are already doing that!)

Quote Originally Posted by Clark75
    Btw, in Singapore we pick up smoking because we have to quit chewing gums.
    Like, yea, no Chewwie with Nicotine flavour

Quote Originally Posted by RossChang
    Like, yea, no Chewwie with Nicotine flavour
    Back in those days early days, there weren't nicotine gums in Singapore as the ban was a general one. From our '10cents per piece fake tatoo' ones to our yummy bubble gums.

Now we have two choices... Nicorette and Nicotinell. Both require prescriptions. We currently do not have access to the normal ones.

...concealed aircon places ... to enjoy the fresh air...
    har...
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

Quote Originally Posted by varf
    har...
    well, considering the polution everywhere in the Urban landscape... u tell me where u can get fresh air besided filter air-condition area?...

unless... unless... 你隐居牧羊于塞外...

well, considering the polution everywhere in the Urban landscape... u tell me where u can get fresh air besided filter air-condition area?...

unless... unless... 你隐居牧羊于塞外...
    True. Ironically, people notice the little smoke that comes out from a cigarette but ignore the invisible ones for cars and factories.

True story... Once, some Australian citizens complained about the black smoke from industrial chimneys. They petitioned and finally, the smoke was turned white by injecting steam into the exhaust stream. Everyone walked away happy!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast