Thread: Noisy night shot-hot pixel?

Default Noisy night shot-hot pixel?

The skys have lots of noises. Any way to reduce them?

Setting:
    f/6.3
    shutter 10sec
    Center weighted avg
    ISO100

Not all have those noises, eg below.
    f/8
    shutter 8sec
    Center weighted avg
    ISO100

Try using lasso tool or magic wand to select the sky and smart blur/gaussian blur it? BTW, first pic seems out of focus. Accidentally shook the tripod maybe??

Midnight
    Guests

The 'noise' here is a result of what we call 'hot pixels' on the camera CCD sensor array. This is literally 'hot', i.e. due to increased temperatures, so one way to reduce the impact of this is to take your photos while your camera is physically cool, though this isn't really that effective for extended photo shoots because most cameras heat up pretty quickly.

An alternative method that is very commonly employed (originally by professional astronomers who use digital cameras for their work) is a post-processing trick called 'dark frame subtraction'. Do a search here or on the Net for this term, and you'll probably find more info.

A far more costly option is to invest in a camera with a larger CCD/CMOS sensor, such as the digital interchangeable-lens SLR cameras. These will also tend to perform well at higher ISO settings. However, if you don't need the flexibility of an interchangeable-lens system, I wouldn't suggest going this route (because of the monetary cost) unless you really do a lot of night photography.

If it's hot pixel, then there is little we can do abt it. Just need to cool it down b4 taking another shot.

The first shot is out of focus maybe due to the auto focus function. Seem like all the shot are not focus except for those I use MF.

Need more advise for taking night shots eg. must it be MF for night shot ? cannot rely on the camera 100%?

hi there,
    i am using the same cam as urs
    did u go for the pixel remapping and updating of firmware?
    it greatly reduces the hot pixels and to some extend the noise of the photos taken

for night shots i use auto focusing all the way
    no prob at all

Eric
    Guests

Try shorter exposures. Any reason in particular you were using such long exposures?