Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paid work for Macro work, Landscape work etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post

LOL @ #2
    Haha nah, I'll definitely not stoop down to that level hahaha

Default Re: Paid work for Macro work, Landscape work etc.

The issue with Singapore is it has very limited market. It difficult to sell a big landscape shots to someone who have limited space. Secondly, I don't see Singapore market (talking in general sense) is at a stage that people take time out and appreciate art.

With these limiting factors, it make it really difficult to make a living out in these genre.

So I don't think there will be many, if any, out there who do these type of work in Singapore. Just market condition that make these genre non existence as a sustainable income generation. I could be wrong though.

Regards,

Hart

Since Benjamin asked, I just say what comes to mind. You are the lua tar here you been in the biz longer 8-) To survive FT (full time) for that kind of time says more than how many year shooting.

Landscape photography if you want to do this as a biz is a highly specialized one. Obviously first you need a subject, the traditional one is rare in Singapore. Unless you travel to shoot - did I mention this is what a professional landscape photographer needs to do ? If you confined the parameter to say that the shooting is limited to within Singapore - probably have to do urban landscape - Darren Soh, Chow Chee Yong , Ngiap Heng Tan, Tay Kay Chin spring to mind. They get paid to shoot, what they shoot (the prints) get collected by local and overseas museums and collectors. There are probably others from older generations - Yip ?? Mun, and his generation. These were people who shot traditional landscape when the world around us was simpler.

If you want to widen the scope to include landscape with some people - hey there is suddenly a whole hoard of guys to talk about. Every one of our upper to middle end wedding shooter produces images like this.

The issue how do you define earn from this endeavor ? Shoot on commission, shoot then sell prints or "rent" rights as in stock photography ?

This is why I am very bummed off at TS. Asking a question that is so open ended. Not have looked on and off at what is being shot by Singaporeans or photographers based in Singapore. So MacDonald generation wanting instant gratification. So scared lose that dare not say why interested - talking about curiosity when it is more like trying to dig for golden opportunity. No one owes you any answers, okay well maybe your father/mother so why did not you ask them ? 8-)

Landscape in Stock still sells BUT it needs to be done right, more than a capture you need to create an image. You need to travel for location favor. Unless you start at least 5 to 10 years back, you are not going to see a lot of income in the front end. It is some what costly unless you can combine stock shoots with some other money paying purpose. Travel articles, shoot for travel books, do resort photos. There are people who do this who are based here. But none I know of exists solely off traditional land scape work.

Macro work - TS you need to be less lazy and define what you mean by this. Nature macro ? Still life macro ? Scientific/industrial macro ? Product work macro ? A discussion is up to the last time I looked it up - is a dialog between up to several people. Viewpoints, information are exchanged between parties, points are debated on etc. It is interactive and not a verbal vomit session where some parties vomit while some other whose only contribution is to bring a bucket to collect said verbal vomit. A intellectual win win situation.

Smile Nat Geo is not a stock library, using stuff sent in from any Tom, Dick or Harry. It's exclusive and was extremely difficult to get accept to be in the pool of photogs they tap for this or that project. Another point to say you really need to do your homework and not any how whack.
    Last edited by ellery; 21st February 2013 at 02:43 AM.

It may be kinda off-topic, but we do have home-grown photographer who's contributing Wildlife photos to Nat Geo magazines.

National Geographic Explorer Photographer, Ms. C.S. Ling

Quote Originally Posted by nonfatyoghurt View Post
    It may be kinda off-topic, but we do have home-grown photographer who's contributing Wildlife photos to Nat Geo magazines.

National Geographic Explorer Photographer, Ms. C.S. Ling
    C.S Ling and Ethan are both professional photographers by the way... Invited them to my business talk and they are very very talented and humble.

Regards,

Hart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12