Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Invest in Gold - almost like physically keeping it under your pillow

Default Re: Invest in Gold - almost like physically keeping it under your pillow

Germany has asked for of its physical gold currently held for the past 50 years in a vault in the USA, to be sent back to Germany.
    That is 54,000 gold bars. Germany does not feel safe leaving the physical gold in USA.
    Hollywood can make a movie about this being robbed while being transported from USA to Frankfurt, Germany.

Italy still has so much more gold than China. The EU should not bail out Italy. It is like a tycoon asking you to donate money to him.

Chart credit: Why Germany Wants its Gold Back - Money Morning

Last edited by ricohflex; 16th February 2013 at 10:29 AM.

Default Re: Invest in Gold - almost like physically keeping it under your pillow

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    I am thimking of buying gold... but no experience. .... is it hard to sell? I think gold might be better than savings in bank... keep on depreciating. ...
    Depends.. its quite easy to sell.. but if you're thinking to make profit out of it.. you better think twice
    There is a tax on buy/sell on physical gold, and of course.. profit margin for the dealer.
    Thats why I recommend on buying gold shares

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    That phrase is outdated.. how many countries are still fully backing their currency with gold?
    I doubt most people buy gold for doomsday scenario. In which I doubt people will want the yellow metal, if its any use for trading.
    Especially in Singapore.. which have no natural resources whatsoever.. will people drive you or bring you food from Msia.. for example
    Most are buying gold for hedging against inflation, in the midst of so called currency war
    I find the most convenient way is to buy GOLD shares, which backed by physical gold in HSBC vault.
    All currencies are fiat currency with no real value and not backed by anything other than confidence. I actually buy gold for doomsday scenario and as a hedge against inflation.

Gold shares are good only if you buy and sell, they are also not sufficiently backed by gold so you will not get any real gold in any event. Even the US government is unable to deliver Germany's gold when asked to. You cannot trust anymore, you must hold the real thing and that is why Germany asks for its gold back.

There are now quite a few companies selling gold and silver bullion in Singapore.

Since 1 Oct 2012, government has exempt GST on Investment Precious Metals.
    Exempt supplies

As many governments are into quantitatice easings (i.e. excessive printing of paper money) only real assets, commodity and precious metals can hold their real value.

I am thimking of buying gold... but no experience. .... is it hard to sell? I think gold might be better than savings in bank... keep on depreciating. ...
    you may wish to open a FX / Futures trading account with perhaps a FX Futures Dealer. CMC markets is very good, very very tight spread. Of course, being skillful in trading is a different matter. You may wish to speculate or buy XAU in the international market. Prices move quite a bit so if you are in for the long haul better have adequate margin. If you are speculating better study pattern, demand/supply factors, etc etc...good luck.
    I have only traded once in SLV and did not enjoy it much although it was reasonably profitable. I don't really touch precious metals anymore.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Blog Entries

UOB Bullion has gold accts where your holdings are kept on record in a passbook
    saves the assay costs and other costs of holding physical

Of course the only risk is UOB as your counterparty .... whose default risk is extremely low

ditto for UBS and Credit Suisse private banking
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    UOB Bullion has gold accts where your holdings are kept on record in a passbook
    saves the assay costs and other costs of holding physical

Of course the only risk is UOB as your counterparty .... whose default risk is extremely low

ditto for UBS and Credit Suisse private banking
    I feel that local bank are much safer... DBS.... not as safe as UOB....
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Have always wondered where is the mountain of gold plundered by Spain from the Incas and Aztecs.
    Has it disappeared into private owners' hands (unrecorded) in secret vaults all over Europe.
    You cannot use up gold. It is not like petrol in car engines. So the physical Inca and Aztec gold is still around somewhere.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 17th February 2013 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Have always wondered where is the mountain of gold plundered by Spain from the Incas and Aztecs.
    Has it disappeared into private owners' hands (unrecorded) in secret vaults all over Europe.
    You cannot use up gold. It is not like petrol in car engines. So the physical Inca and Aztec gold is still around somewhere.
    How about the rumoured Yamashita's gold in Phillipines?

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    How about the rumoured Yamashita's gold in Phillipines?
    I thought it was sitting beneath the Old Ford Factory behind my office...? I smell it from here.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    I thought it was sitting beneath the Old Ford Factory behind my office...? I smell it from here.
    Let's go dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    Must be a good smell.

Must be a good smell.

Sure or not? If that is pure gold, the pallet would have weigh anywhere 15,000 kg to 16,000 kg going by the mass density for gold at 19.30 kg/cm3 or 19,300 kg/m3.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

gold drop to US$1586..... awwww,, what a dip!

Quote Originally Posted by undercoverone View Post
    gold drop to US$1586..... awwww,, what a dip!
    Is this a big drop?? Is there any website to track gold price movement??
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Is this a big drop?? Is there any website to track gold price movement??
    XAU or Gold at Livecharts dot co dot uk

Live gold metal trading price. Or Gloomberg aka Bloomberg. not so live.

if you have a CFD/ FX/Fut broker acct you can get the live quote also.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Kitco iphone app.. Realtime gold and silver spot price

Germany has asked for of its physical gold currently held for the past 50 years in a vault in the USA, to be sent back to Germany.
    That is 54,000 gold bars. Germany does not feel safe leaving the physical gold in USA.
    Hollywood can make a movie about this being robbed while being transported from USA to Frankfurt, Germany.

Italy still has so much more gold than China. The EU should not bail out Italy. It is like a tycoon asking you to donate money to him.

Chart credit: Why Germany Wants its Gold Back - Money Morning

That chart is totally useless when India is not even in it.

Just check this out:

Grubb: Indian Women Hold More Gold than the US Government - Got Gold Report

during Indian festival season the Indian market drives spot prices
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Speaking about gold in India, Indiana Jones forgot to raid the temples there.

Gold treasure at India temple could be the largest in the world | www.commodityonline.com | 3

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Speaking about gold in India, Indiana Jones forgot to raid the temples there.

Gold treasure at India temple could be the largest in the world | www.commodityonline.com | 3
    Traffic conditions not conducive to raiding party
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast