Thread: Q on E-system from a Canon film user

Question Q on E-system from a Canon film user

Hi,

1st, a little b/g... I'm currently a Canon film user, and I've owned the EOS300D for a short while when it was first launched. I have to admit that I'm not really a digital fan as I found the image processing too tedious and time-consuming; which was why I sold off my EOS300D shortly after I got it.

I'm a weekend shooter and will generally only have time to get my prints back from processing and development a couple of days or up to a week later. I am reconsidering digital now because I've reach a point where I feel going the digital route will actually help to improve my skills - allowing me to see my shots in an instance, and possibly getting my prints out within a shorter lead time.

I haven't amassed a hugh lens collection ('only' five) but I'd like to explore the option of keeping my EF 50mm/f1.8MkII (essentially for macro use, but I haven't gotten the reverse adaptor yet), my EF-mount lensbaby toy lens and my Lecia Summicron-R 50mm/f2 if I do make a switch. Can I find out whether there are any EF-to-4/3 and LeicaR-to-4/3 mount adapters besides the USD175 one?

Lastly, some of you might ask why Oly and not stick with Canon? My ans: Why not?

if u want a quick and easy image editing program, use canon digital photo professional (DPP).

the choice of body is up to you. lenses dont have to own too much. just own those that u really love to use

Quote Originally Posted by edlye
    Hi,
    I haven't amassed a hugh lens collection ('only' five) but I'd like to explore the option of keeping my EF 50mm/f1.8MkII (essentially for macro use, but I haven't gotten the reverse adaptor yet), my EF-mount lensbaby toy lens and my Lecia Summicron-R 50mm/f2 if I do make a switch. Can I find out whether there are any EF-to-4/3 and LeicaR-to-4/3 mount adapters besides the USD175 one?

5 lens is quite a collection already. u sure u want to switch? sorry to say but there's no adaptor for EF - 4/3 cos there's no aperture control (canon all electronic control). Leica on the other hand, has an adaptor. 2 in fact, if i m not mistaken. 1 for screw mount & the other for Leica R series.

with your no. of canon accessories, i think u might just want to look at the new 350D. petite & portable. unless u put great colours straight out from cam your utmost priority, then consider the switch.

hope this helps.

Adapting any other mount to 4/3 does not make a lot of sense. 4/3 was supposed created from 'ground up' to shed off all the legacy issues with adapting 35mm film to digital, including wide angle difficulties and CA issues. Oly's 4/3 lenses purportedly communicates distortion and CA info to the camera body for compensation.

Somebody will eventually make the adaptor, but you lose a lot of the advantages 4/3 was designed to have.

Quote Originally Posted by edlye
    Lastly, some of you might ask why Oly and not stick with Canon? My ans: Why not?
    Oly is the sytem which I encounter that I do not edit much to achieve good pictures.

But my advice to U that since U got 5 lenses already, just stick to Your System. Dun Switch.